Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Seascape paint demo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    timonsloane

I just blog posted a step-by-step demo of a studio piece I started today from a plein air study. You can check it out here if interested:[INDENT]http://timonsloane.blogspot.com/2013/01/seascape-painting-in-process.html
        [/INDENT]Here’s the 15×30 painting after a day in the studio (this is still a work in process):

15×30, oil, work-in-process

Wow! Thanks for posting this! I love seeing the steps in the painting process especially a plein air painting!
        I also signed up for your mailing list, I would love to take a workshop from you.

C&Cs always welcome!

Patrice Moriarity Crawford... aka- "Squirrel" http://patricemoriaritycrawford.crevado.com

timonsloane

Patricia – thanks. Love the feedback, and would love to meet you.

Here’s the painting after some finishing touches:

I did another blog post with a before and after detailing some of the change I made. You can check it out here:

http://timonsloane.blogspot.com/2013/01/seascape-can-you-spot-finishing-touches.html

Visited both blog entries and did enjoy seeing the steps. I was especially interested to see how you allowed the underpainting to show through in some places while completely covering it in others. It was an education for me. And, of course, I enjoyed the final product. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

timonsloane

Thanks Gary – glad you found it helpful.

I love the changes in the painting, you really brought the light back into it!

I was just wondering what colors do you carry with you when painting the coastal scenes? I am trying to limit what I carry, but usually end up packing way too many tubes…. :confused:

C&Cs always welcome!

Patrice Moriarity Crawford... aka- "Squirrel" http://patricemoriaritycrawford.crevado.com

timonsloane

Patrice – your question is timely because I have recently shifted my palette and my supply list on my website is a bit out of date.

I just warmed my palette recently, which has me using these primaries:
                    [INDENT]

[*]ultramarine blue (deep if I have it)
                      [*]Perrole red (cobra) or rembrandt permanent red
                      [*]perm yellow medum (cobra) or any cad yellow medium

[/INDENT]

With these additionals:
                    [INDENT]

[*]white (I’m starting to move away from titanium to zink and/or lead)
                      [*]trans. red oxide

[/INDENT]

You might find it interesting – I stopped using lemon yellow (for my old colors, see):

[INDENT] http://www.timonsloane.com/supply-list-oil-workshops[/INDENT]

The fascinating thing is that most people can’t tell the difference in my finished paintings when I move my palette around. They often can’t even tell the difference between my pastel and oil paintings. The palette/medium is always interesting, but it’s just a tool. I always think it’s more important to know what you’re trying to build, and not let your tools dictate what you build (so to speak).

I highly recommend a limited palette for everyone except very advance painters. I own a million colors that I bought/used/tried when I was starting out. They didn’t solve any of my problems :-) Miles of painting and a resulting good understanding of color theory have done much more than any box full of special tube of paint ever did for me.

SSB

The fascinating thing is that most people can’t tell the difference in my finished paintings when I move my palette around. They often can’t even tell the difference between my pastel and oil paintings. The palette/medium is always interesting, but it’s just a tool. I always think it’s more important to know what you’re trying to build, and not let your tools dictate what you build (so to speak).

Don’t certain subjects call out to you for a specific medium? Or is it that any subject can and should be able to be done in any medium? Or both?

timonsloane

SSB – For me it’s any subject any medium. On any given day I tend to be called by the medium (I might just feel like squeezing out oils that day). Or it’s whatever is loaded in my van when I get the urge to head out to paint. Or maybe what will pack the lighter load if I’m going to do a big hike to a painting location.

I guess I don’t believe that there are certain subjects that require a specific medium.

I love both pastels and oils, and I think my work gets stronger when I work across both mediums. As an example – I learned a lot about what is possible with color when working exclusively with pastel for a couple of years. I could just find and try a huge range of colors to solve some difficult problems in a painting. It’s really not just about matching colors to the scene when painting, it’s knowing exactly will work in certain situations. With that accumulated knowledge, I think I now can more rapidly visualize what color/value/saturation I want and I know what I want to mix when working in oil.

gallery318

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the limited palette. I’m investigating which colors I want in my pochade box, and I enjoy reading about everyone’s choices when it comes to only 4-6 tubes in a kit. I really want to travel light (6×8 thumb box in a backpack), but more importantly, I’m wanting to learn how to create what I need from a smaller selection to keep my brain from being overstimulated. It’s challenging enough to translate the color I see in front of me to a color that will work in a painting. And in Florida, we are surrounded by GREEN everything for most of the time here. It’s a color journey and learning experience as I tackle the skill of color blocking in a way that makes for an interesting painting and memorable visual experience. ;)

Kathleen Marie -- Longwood, Florida[/COLOR]
                                https://www.facebook.com/studio318

timonsloane

Kathleen – I started with a color wheels in the studio when selecting my palette originally. This can help you identify any ‘holes’ you have (colors that are difficult to mix or approximate).

To a large degree I think I can’t really go wrong with any limited palette.

gallery318

Going back to the basic color wheel is a great idea. :)

Bevahlee

really appreciate you showing your steps

gallery318

Found this photo of 4 color charts during my morning search. I like seeing how the choice of the red hue really changes the pinks and peaches that one can achieve, or not.

http://illo2mca.blogspot.com/2011/03/limited-palettes.html

timonsloane

Kathleen – that post by James Gurney is really good. He has a great blog, and a terrific book on ‘light and color’.

I learned from him the theory of ‘limited gamut’, which boils down to the fact that any 3 primaries can be used to make a painting work (and when I say any 3, it can be as extreme as using a green or grey instead of yellow for instance). Really interesting stuff, and it is relevant here because it means any limited palette can be made to work. I was specifically thinking of this limited gamut theory when I made the claim above that you can’t go wrong with any limited palette.

Here’s a pointer to the first of his posts on the topic:
                                                    http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2008/01/color-wheel-masking-part-1.html

Kind of advance stuff, but really interesting topic if you’re into that kind of thing.

Timon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.