Home Forums Explore Subjects Artwork from Life Scavenger Hunt 530 …feb 8 – 16…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Scattykat

If you’ve done at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one, we’d really appreciate it! You can sign up by posting your name and the current hosting list stickie on Artwork from Life forum:

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show…366347&page=55

Rules for Hunting:

* All items on the list must be sketched from life–not imagination nor photo references
        * Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed to by unanimous vote among the participants
        * You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count those objects as separate list items, but no single object can count for more than one list item.
        * All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you sketch and post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Do as many or as few items as you like; you don’t have to finish the entire list to participate! You don’t have to comment on every post, but comment, if and when you can.

Scavenger Hunts last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you to do each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are also welcome!

Scavenger Hunt 530 Feb 8 – 16

Keys
        Rolled up
        Something with reflections
        Notice board
        Things in a basket
        Something folded
        Red
        A game
        Musical
        Used for measuring
        In a case
        Used for cutting
        Souvenir
        Plant
        Animal
        Machine
        Coiled
        3 eggs
        Soft toy
        Something sparkly
        A jug
        A teapot
        Floats
        Something with wings
        Little and large
        Kissable

…enjoy…

:cat: :wave:

Scatty ....
        ..................all things come to those who dreamzzzzzzz...[/COLOR]

Joan T

Kat, thanks for the new list. Hope to have time to do more this hunt!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Pine Cone

Lovely list Scatty. Thank you.

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces[/color]

Pine Cone

item #1 – “something with reflections”

rainbow on a book cover[/color]

Wikipedia: “A rainbow…. is caused by reflection, refraction and dispersion of light in water droplets…”

I drew this cover because it has these words on it..

[FONT=”Trebuchet MS]PEACE IS EVERY STEP[/FONT]

…and they reminded me, again, of walking through the forests, trying to be silent (like a meditation), and trying to share the burdens of others who had gone before (like a [em]tonglen[/em] meditation).

From the cover: “Thich Nhat Hanh is a Vietnamese Buddhist Zen Master, poet, scholar, and peace activist who was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.”

Although I don’t speak Vietnamese, I’ve heard his name pronounced on CDs as follows:

……. “Thich” as in the American English word “tick”

……. “Nhat” as in the American English word “not”

……. “Hanh” as in the American English phonetic sound of hahn.

According to the cover, a portion of the proceeds from this book support Thich Nhat Hanh’s peace work and mindfulness teachings around the world.

The book can be found here:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/fear-thich-nhat-hanh/1111397922?ean=9780062004734#/

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil.

Procreate app for the rushed sketch.

Art Studio app for the downsize, crop, border, and export.[/color]

Process:

Virtual ink on virtual whiteboard.

Freehand, no drafting tools or tracing, digital or otherwise.

No grid or smoothing or symmetry or cloning, digital or otherwise.

No filters or effects. No color intensification or exaggeration.

Reference located a few inches away.[/color]

Pine Cone

item #2 – “notice board”

Native American rock painting[/color]

This sketch is of part a photograph from the inside of a book (see below). It is a black-and-white photograph located between the Foreward and Preface of the book.

The title of the photograph is…..

[FONT=”Trebuchet MS][em]Horned Figure, [/em]Fremont Indian State Park[/FONT]

The photographer is Tom Till (Google him), one of four photographers who contributed to this book of timeless beauty.

From the Foreword:

….”As much as did the buffalo and the
                        …..horse to the Plains Indian … they
                        …..extended his human being to the center
                        …..of the wilderness, of mystery, of
                        …..deepest life itself.”

Perhaps more relevant to my placement of this sketch as answering Scatty’s “Notice Board” choice, the Foreward also speaks of the following:

….”As a writer, I’m fascinated by language …
                        …..the act of setting an image upon a plane is
                        …..primarily an expression, an assertion,
                        …..of language.”

Hence “notice board.”

The book is titled…..

[em][FONT=”Trebuchet MS]Sacred Images – A Vision of Native American Rock Art.[/FONT] [/em]

The photographers are:
                        —– Craig Law
                        —– John Telford
                        —– Tom Till
                        —– Philip Hyde (guest photographer).

Text and interviews by Leslie Kelen and David Sucec.

Foreward by N. Scott Momaday.

If you’d like to see the evocative cover, Barnes and Noble has it:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sacred-images-leslie-g-kelen/1102623623?ean=9780937407134

As does Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Images-Vision-American-1996-06-30/dp/B01K3PEZRA

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil.

Procreate app for the rushed sketch.

Art Studio app for the downsize, crop, border, and export.[/color]

Process:

Virtual pencil on virtual paper.

Freehand, no drafting tools or tracing, digital or otherwise.

No grid or smoothing or symmetry or cloning, digital or otherwise.

No filters or effects. No color intensification or exaggeration.

Reference located a few inches away.[/color]

eyepaint

Scatty – thanks for the new list.

Pine Cone – look at you go! I believe I’ve seen that very book.

-- EP Moderator for:
                            All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Pine Cone

Hi EP, I’m curious which one :confused: :)

keys
                                rolled up:wave:

Robin
                                The mediator between head and hands must
                                be the heart. Harbou - Metropolis
                                http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/

Scatty – fun list, thanks for hosting
                                PineCone – roomy sketches, room on the page & room in the thoughts….
                                Hope I can contribute – missed ya’ll on the last round

Robin
                                The mediator between head and hands must
                                be the heart. Harbou - Metropolis
                                http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/

Scatty, thanks for the list! Good one.

Pine Cone, you are off to a good start. Always teaching….

Robin, love your bold digis and all the color. We missed you. When did you say the trip will be? Just decided to go to Kentucky in April to meet our two great grandsons. Going by Amtrak to St. Louis and rent a car there.

Later…..

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
                                My website https://jocastilloart.com

Scattykat

Hi all…
                                    PC, first out off the blocks, reflections make beautiful rainbows, yes, good one, and much interesting info too 👍🏼
                                    Robin, good digi work on keys, and esp the roll of colourful fabric 👍🏼

1, Animal… I spent a morning at the museum sketching the whale skeleton, it is awesome, suspended in the atrium, it is amazing. Graphite in A4 pastel paper sketchy, about 2 hours me thinks…

…here’s a link to more info on the whale… https://www.cumbriacrack.com/2017/11/27/tullie-house-museum-celebrates-new-year-iconic-whale-arrival/
                                    :cat: :wave:

Scatty ....
                                    ..................all things come to those who dreamzzzzzzz...[/COLOR]

Pine Cone

On the last event, Joe said:

Pine Cone – As too your posts on politically correctness and prejudice. All you can do is let the haters hate and if someone is offended by a word…well that is there problem. Like you I am fascinated by NA cultures. Have almost as many books on NA as I do on art. I also collect NA arts and crafts. I have known several Native Americans in my life. One, MCPO Hayes was a major influence in my life. He and his wife, also NA, invited us to their house for Thanksgiving dinner. He said he wanted to return the favor. He often referred to himself as Indian as well as Chickasaw and Native American. So it is all in the attitude of the person, not the word.

That’s wise advice, thank you so much :)

Your friends sound like a wonderful couple. Thank you for telling me about them. I had to look up MCPO. It sounds like a terrific accomplishment! You said that he was a major influence for you. Did you serve together?

You said you collect NA arts and crafts. You’ve shared a few things here I think, and I hope you’ll sketch more of them for us to see.

Me, I’ve got two items that trouble me. Here is their story.

A long time ago, I stumbled on a Native American Art store not too far from where I lived at the time. It was the real thing, not a tourist trap. Genuine arts and crafts, beautiful but very inexpensive. Also books, some CDs I think, a few other things. The way I remember it, everything was beautifully arranged in a small building that might have been dark, but wasn’t. It had been lightened by the lovely and simple way it had been painted, and tended, etc.

As I recall, I went there twice, and each time, bought one small item. Each time, I was there for a long time, listening to the stories of the people there. And each time, nobody else came through the door. No other customers. The third time I went back, they were gone. They had been shunned out of business. Broke my heart.

But as much as I wanted to support them, as grateful as I was, and remain, for the time the people spent with me (explaining each item, talking with me about their lives and memories and culture), the two items themselves sadden me, because they are, basically, bits of animals that died. One is mostly bone, one is partly hide.

I can’t count how many dozens of times I’ve planned on sketching one or the other of these items for the SH.

But when I hold these pieces, it’s as if I can still feel the fear and sadness of the animal itself as its life came to an abrupt and painful halt. I’ve never sketched them. I can’t throw them away because that would be adding insult to injury.

I feel like there’s a clash between two sets of ideals, two sets of gratitude in my heart, that don’t line up.

It troubles me.

Pine Cone

Thanks everyone :)

Robin – Beautiful sketches, deep color!

Scatty – Fantastic work – zowie! How did you get it all to fit together as you were drawing it? I would have become lost :eek: And what an amazing story… Driggsby! It must have been amazing to see the exhibit – I’m going to try and find a pic of the Dorudon too. The whole thing sounds incredible – thank you for sharing your sketch, and the link :)

Joan T

Pine Cone – Two nice items in a row. I’v always found rock paintings so interesting. It is sad to hear that the store didn’t make it. I’m glad you had such nice people there that shared their culture and lives with you. I’m sure they were pleased to have someone appreciate what they had in the store.

Robin – Good digits, especially the pen holder. Love the pattern on it.

Kat – Really nice shading on the hanging skeleton!

1 – red building – gouache
                                                2 – plants – gouache

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                                                [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

jmfletch

Pine cone – You are not approaching the items with a native heart or mind set. If an animal was killed to provide for them, they thanked the animal for its gift. Every NA culture I have ever read about or studied had great love and respect for animals and nature in general. They never kill for sake of killing. Most NA cultures also practiced a form of shamanism and communicated with the spirits of animals, plants, places, etc. When I sketch my items I try hard to think of the spirit of the animal if it has animal parts so in a way paying it respect as well.

Sorry about the MCPO. He was a a Master Chief Petty Officer (highest enlisted rank) and because of his leadership and seniority was assigned as Division Officer which is a position normally assigned to a Commissioned Officer, He was my Division officer for almost 5 years. And was not only my boss, but my mentor and friend.

Love the sketches!

Scatty – Thanks for the list. All our animal talk seems in keeping with your whale skeleton which is excellent.

Robin
                                                    – Nice digis. Love the bright colors. Is Roll-up hand made? Looks like a cool roll-up for pens or markers

Keep sketching
                                                    Joe

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.