WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2018, 03:55 PM

Tree on a hill

Hello,

I was inspired by a giant sycamore tree near my house to do this painting. As usual, I used Bob Ross Wet on Wet method.

I have fond memories of being on a swing attached to a tree as a kid. That is another reason I did this painting.

Jared
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2018, 01:08 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Tree on a hill

FWIW, here are my observations, some general, some specific:
In one of your first posts you said "I found joy in painting. No matter what mistakes I made in the painting, I found joy. Painting makes me happy and helps me get through my disability." That's a great attitude. For some, painting is an endless source of frustration because they can't immediately get the results they are seeking. For others, it's a joyful learning experience. The only difference is your attitude.
With a positive attitude and lots of practice, you'll only get better. Your reasons for painting this are excellent! Try to convey those emotions in your painting.
Read up on composition. Then, before you begin your painting, sketch several ideas until you feel you have a strong composition. This painting is rather static--meaning there's nothing to lead the viewer into the painting and move their eye around it. it's just there.
Then give attention to values, edges, aerial perspective, etc. This will add depth to your painting and highlight you point of interest. In this painting there is little value range and the white halo around the tree trunk and swing is distracting.
There's a lot to learn (I'm just starting, myself) but don't be overwhelmed. Just take it one step (or painting) at a time.
But, above all, HAVE FUN and PAINT! There's no substitute for practice. BE FEARLESS!!

"Things fall apart, it's scientific." - David Byrne
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2018, 01:17 PM
Charlotte NC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicholes
Hello,

I was inspired by a giant sycamore tree near my house to do this painting. As usual, I used Bob Ross Wet on Wet method.

I have fond memories of being on a swing attached to a tree as a kid. That is another reason I did this painting.

Jared

Do have to say your 'wet on wet Bob Ross painting' turned out a lot better than anything I have attempted!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2018, 02:29 PM

Hello,

@Kelvin, Thanks for that comment. It is still true. I find joy in painting no matter what mistakes I make. To add on to that, I look at each painting and I think to myself, "How can I do better next time?"

This painting I posted, for example, I noticed that the bark on the tree was a little too dark. I did this yesterday on a separate canvas for more practice:

Anyway, It is also true I have a disability, as you quoted what I said a long time ago. I am actually going to art therapy now to improve my skills and to help with my problems. I think it will help.

Anyway, Thank you all for the kind comments.

Jared
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2018, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Quote:

Jared
That is as good a reason as any for choosing a subject to paint. I have a similar memory and your painting helped me relive that fond memory. Thank you.