Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Advise on press purchase

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Foundryfub

Want to purchase small table top press.

I’m thinking either a Griffin press series o or Conrad E 12 or 15. Anyone have advice or experience with these? Working on 8×12 aquatints, etchings, drypoints..
        Thanks
        Kyle

ploverwing

A few members here have purchased Conrad[/URL] presses and are very pleased; I’ve personally not heard of Griffin – maybe do a search in the forum for that press name to see what pops up? A lot of printmakers on the forum have the Blick Econo[/URL] (same as Richeson). Again, just do a search for any of those press names in the forum search tool (upper right corner just above the list of threads in the main Printmaking forum) to see what comes up.

Here are some threads with suggestions from the forum participants regarding small presses:

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348487
            https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334185
            https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450822
            https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350132

Good luck! Seems like the “press bug” is traveling around our ranks; I’m thinking about getting a little one some time too!!

[FONT=Century Gothic]Amie Roman, AFCA
            Burnishings - Blog on Printmaking * Burnishings - ploverwing on Etsy * Printmaking on Squidoo

Reduction method printing - "The Russian roulette of the printmaking world"
            [/COLOR]
            printbeth

I love my Conrad press! I have the E12; I just recieved it a week and a half ago. My largest plate right now is 8 by 10 and it works very nicely with a 2″ border around the edge… if you’re ever looking to go bigger than 8 inches in width, though, I’d lean towards the E15. Setup and installation was much easier than I expected, and the press works really well…. as well as any of the larger models I’ve used.

Be forewarned that a Conrad order seems to take about 3 to 4 months to arrive, as they build them to order. If this is an issue for you, I’d consider choosing one that wouldn’t, like the Blick presses. Lots of folks have those and seem quite pleased with them, as well.

Happy press hunting! Let us know what you pick, and how it works out!

Foundryfub

I have a Blick econo press now. My prints are much clearer and more consistent when I use a large press at Parsons print studio. I am looking for a heavy duty press but small. Griffin is out of Oakland California. It isa bit pricey but I am willing to spend a bit of money if I can get a press I can continue to grow into. The econo seemed great until I started to do aquatints. Thanks for your quick and helpful posts.

Diane Cutter

You might want to look into the Takach presses. They are pricey but definitely high quality. I got spoiled using them and find my little Blick press doesn’t compare (though I love my little Blick press).

They have excellent gear ratio… pulling an intaglio is like cutting butter with a hot knife… The construction is high quality and they are very accomodating. My next press will be a Takach (if we can ever sell our house here and move back to the mainland).

These presses have excellent re-sale value and, on occasion, Takach has a used model available.

Diane

printbeth

I’ve been impressed with the consistency I get from my E12. Granted, I’ve only had it for 1.5 weeks, but I’ve editioned 2 plates in that time (one with aquatint and one with softground), and although I pulled extras, I didn’t end up needing any. Each print came out nicely.

I do get a bit of blanket scoot (I reposition the blankets on big plates after every 7th print or so), which I understand is common in smaller presses. The E15 might be better for that. It also is a bit of effort to pull a larger print, but the “delux” geared models would not be, if that matters. Small prints are easy.

I’ve never used a small Takach press, but the big ones are delish.

Diane Cutter

… I’ve never used a small Takach press, but the big ones are delish.

Beth… The tabletop model is every bit as sophisticated and smooth as the large floor models… just smaller but not ‘cheap’ in quality.

When I say I’ll get a Takach I do mean the tabletop. In fact, I’m off to Albuquerque in two weeks and thinking that I might just need the used one (if no one else has gotten to it first)!!!

Diane

Barbara Art

Kyle, I’ve used a friend’s 18″ Conrad for woodcuts and it was great! Easy to use, even printing, etc. She’s done etchings on it constantly for about ten years. I’ve ordered the 15″ (have to wait almost until August! :crying: ), the one with the reduction gears, to make it easier on my achy bod. It weighs under 150 pounds, but is still big enough to do 12″ wide. Good luck with your search.
                                    Barbara

C&C always welcome
                                    "Only beauty can save the world." -Albert Camus

my blog: http://genericnews.blogspot.com

Industry

Hey Kyle,

Just wanted to put my vote in for Whelan Press. About a year and a half ago I went through all the research and checked out all the different brands and ended up going with a Whelan Xpress. It has been just amazing and the owner, Mel Whelan is awesome to deal with. As well, it’s very easy to move around in my space and features a fixed bed, which will never warp. He shipped it to Canada and I had it within a month. Very cool!

Just my .02!

Good luck with the decision-

Shawn

P.S. I just realized you said “Tabletop” press! Sorry about that! They do have a smaller “Uberpress” though which is very cool, too.

bridog

welcome Kyle to the forum
                                            I only have a Blick tabletop model so others here are more apt to provide you with the advice you seek

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
                                            visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.