WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Florals and Botanical
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Upstate New York

Hails from United States
Re: Just a few paintings, indirect method

Mr. Phelps, these photographs you are posting are marvelous but when do we get to see your paintings?

Kidding aside, these are just incredible. Beautiful work! I especially love the geranium flowers, Cloud 9.

Thanks for including the "in-progress" shots. Even though I don't work in paint (I currently work in colored pencils), seeing the layers of color before blending is very useful. You do the same sort of build up in CPs, just slower. Much, much slower.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2017, 06:50 AM

Gorgeous flowers and beautifully rendered. Love that you chose to do this using the underpainting and glazing technique.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2017, 04:32 AM
Cotswolds

Hails from United Kingdom

I think flowers should be painted softly, and this is quite hard. The compositions are beautiful, and so is the painting, but the problem is the colours you are using. It's like looking at video instead of film. The colours you use, blue-green, instead of yellow green, lemon yellow instead of Indian yellow, grey-blue shadow instead of soft purple or brown and white and creams. Unless you're painting blue flowers, I'd avoid mixing in any blue, or using bluey versions of colours like paynes grey. I love your glossy shiny look on the leaves on the second one, but there is too much blue-grey shadow on the magnolia flower. The orchid I would softened the edges more to highlight where the bright light fuzzies and hits the petals, and let some petals go almost completely into darkness you'd get a softer, more sensitive look. I think a good tip is not to use too many colours, then you won't get clashing colours, which I find you've achieved in the first one.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2017, 09:10 PM
Near the Blue Ridge Mountains

Hails from United States
Wink Re: Just a few paintings, indirect method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Chalice
I think flowers should be painted softly, and this is quite hard. The compositions are beautiful, and so is the painting, but the problem is the colours you are using. It's like looking at video instead of film. The colours you use, blue-green, instead of yellow green, lemon yellow instead of Indian yellow, grey-blue shadow instead of soft purple or brown and white and creams. Unless you're painting blue flowers, I'd avoid mixing in any blue, or using bluey versions of colours like paynes grey. I love your glossy shiny look on the leaves on the second one, but there is too much blue-grey shadow on the magnolia flower. The orchid I would softened the edges more to highlight where the bright light fuzzies and hits the petals, and let some petals go almost completely into darkness you'd get a softer, more sensitive look. I think a good tip is not to use too many colours, then you won't get clashing colours, which I find you've achieved in the first one.

Well, where do I start? These are considered "sharp focus realism". Some of my flower do have soft edges, But these were painted with a different purpose in mind. Concerning colors. Other than some color variations in computers monitors, the paintings match the actual flowers, especially in the foliage. Too many color's? Nature provided these colors, I can only paint what I see. again, sometimes I take artistic license and fudge or shift a color, but mostly, I attempt to match what nature provides me.

Here's an example of a softer looking orchid:

some of the background pedals blend right into the background and you can't see it's actual edge.

Hope this meets your approval.

The Art of Delmus Phelps
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2017, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast
Kent, UK

Luxuriating in all these beautiful paintings Delmus. My favourites are the white orchids: stunning and dramatic.
I think you will be amused by my family story. My mother was a very artistic flower arranger for church and home. One day we were visiting an aunt and took her two bunches of daffodils. She put them in a very tall vase so that just the heads peeped over the top and she kept them all the same height. Mum was absolutely mortified as she would have cut them to different heights, used greenery and twigs in between and a shorter vase. The aunt received biscuits on future visits.
Maybe you can understand why your three yellow roses gave me a little jerk but of course they are beautifully painted.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast
Muncho Lake, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Beautifully done! I especially like the second one. Such realistic lighting on the leaves. Looks like a photo! Beautiful!
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2017, 12:15 PM

I know this thread was started some months back but --- wow. So breathtaking!
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2017, 02:42 AM

Wonderful work! Truly beautiful and inspiring.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2017, 02:48 AM
A WC! Legend
Germany / Bavarian

Hails from Germany

The absolute insanity in oil!

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2017, 05:54 PM
Near the Blue Ridge Mountains

Hails from United States

Hi folks, here's my latest, over a year in the making. long story. Hope you find it pleasing!

very large canvas of 36" x 48" using the flemish technique.

I'll include a few process shots once I get them downsized for the forums here.

Blessings.

The Art of Delmus Phelps
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2017, 07:14 PM
Enthusiast
Kent, UK

Those white roses are just fabulous. One could almost eat them.
Looking forward to seeing their journey from sketch to finale.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2017, 08:49 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Canada

I find your piece VERY, VERY PLEASING!!
Did you have a bit of an odyssey painting this? Trials, tribulations?
Inevitably some attempts will end up in the trash. Continue anyway. Perseverance can trump undeveloped, procrastinating, or fearful talent.

Last edited by PaintBoss : 11-11-2017 at 08:52 PM.