WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2016, 02:38 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from United States
Over 88% of Ad Clicks Deemed Fraudulent

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/over-88-of-digital-ad-clicks-deemed-fraudulent

New study suggests that over 88% of digital ads are clicked by automated programs, not humans, costing advertisers billions of dollars.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2016, 02:44 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Over 88% of Ad Clicks Deemed Fraudulent

Google's ad network was the worst with 98% bot fraud, while Yahoo and Facebook were tied for second at 94%.

(The results differ greatly from recently published studies claiming much lower percentages.)

Last edited by JohnEmmett : 11-04-2016 at 02:49 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Exactly why I don't bother with click ads. There are some great videos on YouTube re: this topic.

I actually have a friend of a friend who lost his job last year. Now, his 'job' is online -- writing bogus product reviews and clicking on ads. Apparently, a LOT of human 'clickers' are part of this con, too.

Anything for a penny, I guess. :-(
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2016, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

And add in those times when I 'accidentally' click on an ad because it's placed so close to the link I REALLY want to click on. Of course I've always believed those ads were placed just to get those accidental clicks.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2016, 04:54 PM

Wow! This is incredibly bad. 88-98 percent, just... wow.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2016, 12:49 PM

Hails from United States

How much you pay determines how much bot traffic you’re getting, so when you’re paying $0.002 a click, you’re getting mostly bots.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2017, 11:28 PM

Hails from Australia

Have always found it amusing and somewhat useless that you can pay for ads and have the exact SAME organisation provide an ADBlocker app on its browser to block all Youtube and most social media ads that you just paid for! Guess you would need click bots since many real people won't be seeing the ads anyway.
'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2017, 11:50 PM
A Local Legend
Darien, GA

Hails from United States

Well, the 12% that isn't fraudulent must be well worth it or you would think there would be fewer ads! which would be fine with me!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 11:37 PM

Hails from United States

(all major ad platforms have designated task forces to take on click fraud)
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2017, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlyHardy
Well, the 12% that isn't fraudulent must be well worth it or you would think there would be fewer ads! which would be fine with me!

Haha! Maybe worth it to some, but definitely not to all. I'm on another art forum where members often chime in about trying FB ads. I don't remember more than a couple ever saying it had been even marginally profitable. Usually the comments run toward, "Ran the ad for X amount of time. Picked up 8 zillion likes, but no sales so far."

I know we have to spend money to make money, but there must be a more practical online advertising model than FB ads.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2017, 03:26 PM

Hails from United States

The research tracked the origins of 77,000 purchases to determine exactly what pushed customers to buy. The answer was almost never social sites. Only a measly 1% of sales came from the likes of Facebook, so what did work?
Following direct visits, organic search and paid search are the two biggest drivers of purchases from new customers, accounting for 39% of new customer transactions. That’s because the web continues to be a useful tool for consumers who know what they are looking for and find it through search.

Last edited by JohnEmmett : 03-23-2017 at 03:32 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2017, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

From a retailer/seller's perspective Amazon has one of the most honest programs. When an associate (someone who uses Amazon provided links to seed their web presence such as a blog, social media, etc) there is not pay per click. The associate gets paid a percentage of the sale only and a smaller percentage if the customer buys something other than the advertised product. As smart as Google is one would think they'd catch on. But, since Google sells advertising, maybe they have.

IIOTI (If It's On The Internet) it must be true. Right?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2017, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Re "only a measly 1% of sales came from Facebook," as a retailer online for many years, 1-2% sales per visits is considered normal in ecommerce. So if you have 100 visitors a day, you can expect 1-2 sales. If not, you are probably attracting visits that are not targeted to what you are selling. My "day job" (my online shop) gets about 1500 visits/day but only about 5 sales/day. I'm doing way less than 1% because many visitors use my site as a reference work. Luckily, I can do fine on 5 sales/day off that site, no evil eye.

My experience with AdWords on Google has been that despite Google's denials, running ads on Google helps with search ranking on Google. I did it for years for my shop but haven't gotten around to it for my art site yet. It takes a lot of tinkering to find the right keywords that are for stuff you are not ranking for in search but that are worthwhile to pull in visitors and at the same time don't have a lot of ad competition. Google has keyword tools and whatnot in their AdWords interface. I set myself a budget of $30-100/mo for my shop. You have to figure how much you spend vs. how much sales will increase. I would have to make only 2-3 sales more/month to break even at that rate for my shop.

My art site is averaging only 15 (!) visits/per day because I have done very little to promote it, but I am making way more than 1-2% sales/visitor, so my visitors are well targeted. This is all from linking on social media.