WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Kailua Hawaii

Hails from United States
Smile Ametalene Alternative to MAPP Gas

Aloha Everyone,

I am just getting starting in Lampwork and I am wondering if anyone has ever used Ametalene as a fuel source? I live in Hawaii and they do not ship MAPP gas here. The reason I would use it in place of Propane is because I am using a Hothead and I read on the forums that it (MAPP) burns much hotter than propane and is cleaner.

Mahalo in advance for your reply!

Dan
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Ametalene Alternative to MAPP Gas

Hi Dan,

I haven't heard of anyone using ametalene, but perhaps someone else has.
I have a very hard time getting MAPP gas and instead have been using MPS (sorry don't know what it stands for) that is also sold as a braising gas. I know you can use propolyne which also burns hot.

I switched from the MPS canisters to a 5lb propane tank. I have all kinds of issues with the first tank of propane through, but after that it's been pretty good. I find it hotter than the MPS canisters and can run for hours without the problem of having to warm the tank.

I have had some soot when encasing, but I think that is mainly from working to close to the torch, as I know many people seem to be able to clear encase cleanly.

Here's a link to a thread dedicated to hotheads.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...t=calling+head

It's very long, but there is a wealth of info in it.

Cheers
Diane
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2008, 12:28 AM

Ametalene gas is actually Propane.

Propane is chemically c3h8

http://www.fortnet.org/rcvfd/trainin...ane%20msds.pdf

Ametalene is chemically c3h8...

http://www.airgas.com/documents/pdf/001045.pdf

MSDS for both these "gases" will verify this...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Nebraska

Hails from United States

Gas providers often add a small amount of another chemical to the propane to bring the BTU's up and make it burn hotter. It is not listed on the MSDS sheet because it is such a small component. I know this because I have had a couple of different sales reps try to explain to me why their propane (brazing feul) was superior to other supliers. I explained to them that I had looked at their MSDS's and what they sold was propane. They said "Oh no, it is not. We add something special to it."

I am not sure how much the additives increase the BTU's. A lampworker I know uses one company's modified propane and loves it. She is using a Minor burner, though.

The MPS gas is Methylacetylene-Propadiene, Stabilized. That is one of the components of MAPP gas. MAPP gas is a mixture of MPS and propane. If you can get MPS gas in Hawaii, you'll be set. Good luck!

Chris
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Montevallo,AL 25mi S. of Bham.

Hails from United States

When I started lampworking I found a source for Chem-O-Lene. Don't know what it is made up of, but supposed to burn hotter than propane. I wanted to use it up with O2 and was advised not to. Too hot. Maybe I'll dig out the HH.
Bo Whalen
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States

Dan, when I was using a HH and MAPP became unavailable I switched to Chemtane 2 (also called Ametylene, depending on the region). It did seem to burn hotter and cleaner than regular propane or propylene.

The folks at Chemtane were very helpful. Here's a link for you~

http://www.chemtane2.com/products/ct2.html

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2008, 05:09 AM
Kailua Hawaii

Hails from United States

Wow, thanks for all the great info!!!

Dan
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Kalamazoo, MI

Hails from United States
Question Re: Ametalene Alternative to MAPP Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls
Dan, when I was using a HH and MAPP became unavailable I switched to Chemtane 2 (also called Ametylene, depending on the region). It did seem to burn hotter and cleaner than regular propane or propylene.

I'm picking up this thread late but want to know if the Ametylene is used as is (without the addition of an Oxygen tank). Reasoning tells me that because it's a sub for MAPP that it's used by iteself, but want to be sure.

Thank you for all the wonderful information.

Barbara in MI
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2009, 03:37 AM
Hilo, Hawaii

Hails from United States

Also picking up late in this thread. I'm in Hilo and found MAPP gas in small containers at Home Depot (here in Hilo). After having worked with small container propane before (the containers needed to be used up), I find that for me propane works better anyway. As I work outdoors I may switch to bulk propane. Looking at Na0sglass, I've got a long ways to go before needing either MAPP gas or another torch (I have a HotHead - and I'll admit that I only started this past June).

Read the HotHead thread if you haven't done so already.

Aloha,
Maren

Last edited by maren : 01-24-2009 at 03:40 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2009, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member

Further to all the above...
I switched from the MAPP 1lb bottles which were used in the beginner lampwork class I took back in 06 to razor gas - which is the bulk MAPP gas, according to the main gas supply company here in Adelaide, South Australia.
It burns hotter than the straight propane gas which compensates for the slower bead making on a Hothead with ordinary propane.
Check out the thread on murky/smoky or black streaks on beads for explanations on causes.
I wasn't holding the glass too close to the flame so it wasn't a case of burning the glass - however what I did learn was that there is a build up in the hose from a chemical reaction between the gas and the lining of the hose - this causes an 'oily substance' which vapourises as it is forced out of the burning torch and deposits on the surface of the bead as the black streaks or smoky effect.
By dismantling the hose periodically when not in use for a day or two opening both valves on the torch and allowing the hose to drain overnight - put a papertowel or an old container underneath the hose - and you'll see what I'm talking about - this will drain out any of this residue before it is dumped on your next batch of beads. I've had this oily substance still slowly but surely draining out a couple of days down the track!
I read of someone having two hoses so that while she was using one the other was hanging up to clean out.
The maintenance fellow at your gas refill place could be persuaded to give the hose fittings a good clean out if you smile nicely at him! It worked for me. He suggested cleaning the hose fittings with shellite - but I leave that to him to do for me.
Hope these suggestions help - but do check out that thread because there is some very useful and informed comments there which are invaluable information to print out and keep on hand.
Cheers
Koala.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Kalamazoo, MI

Hails from United States

I had my husband pick up a 6# tank of propylene last week because I had the money. He talked them into filling it up and total was $149. Fill-ups will be $29. I've read a lot about alternatives to MAPP and propylene seems to be favored a lot. I'll have to continue using my 1# cans of Coleman propane until it gets warmer out and I can move back out in the garage. :-)

~Barbara
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2012, 02:37 PM

Great! Very educational Thanks to all.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2012, 02:38 PM

After having worked with small container propane before (the containers needed to be used up), I find that for me propane works better anyway. As I work outdoors I may switch to bulk propane. Looking at Na0sglass, I've got a long ways to go before needing either MAPP gas or another torch.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2012, 02:39 PM

The maintenance fellow at your gas refill place could be persuaded to give the hose fittings a good clean out if you smile nicely at him! It worked for me. He suggested cleaning the hose fittings with shellite - but I leave that to him to do for me.
Hope these suggestions help - but do check out that thread because there is some very useful and informed comments there which are invaluable information to print out and keep on hand.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2017, 02:29 AM

There was only one refinery that manufactured MAPP gas. It was located in Texas but shutt down. Therefore MAPP is no longer available.