Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Here…Kitty Kitty

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Dcam

There is an abandoned house in a small town near me full of cats.
        On my “Camera Plein Air walk” I noticed this dark gray feline.
        Would NOT come to me to be petted. :(
        A study in Gray:
        About 14×17 on hardboard.

DEREK!!
        This is my fave painting EVER that you have done— because of the cat!

paint more cats! :cat:

I love your stonework so much.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
        Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Whoa! That’s a great composition, your great At knowing just the right amount of detail to add. And you managed to make concrete look cool…that’s a feat in itself. I have noticed that you enjoy studying gray tones quite a lot. Makes sense considering that Most colors seem like they have a fair amount of gray in them. You placed the cat in a neat place, the steps in the BG and near the house add a nice rhythm and also direction. Thank you for sharing!

Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

pete1199

Really nice. The steps onto the porch are so convincing. The cracks in the concrete… well, the whole painting is great!

equinespirit

That is phenomenal!

Freesail

Having lived in northwestern NJ for many year, this painting is spot on. Well done, even the rocks look like shale.

Solvent = Leaner Oil = Fatter Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
                    ianuk

I like the textures, Derek. I’m not sure I’d fancy running up those steps. I am surprised the cat wouldn’t approach you. Although, they do say cats have a sixth sense :)

green01

Your work is just amazing!

carolkay

Cool Derek …. the eye is led right to the kitty !!!! Nice painting .

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Carol Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success

Who needs color, anyway… :smug: Great painting! (Being rejected by a cat is the loneliest feeling… :crying:)

Ju-Ju-Beads

Superb, as always; my favorite is the distainful gaze the cat is giving over his shoulder. I can almost see a tail twitch.

budigart

Very nice. In general, what did you use for your grays? Not asking for all your speific recipes, but tell me a little about your mixes.

That’s a lot of different greys! Great drawing and color. Interesting the way the house (foundation) and steps have settled.
                                        I too am curious about your mixes. Do you use any black? If so which ones?

Alan P. in OC

Perfect composition Derek, the lines of the house and concrete lead the eye to all the right places.

Anonymous

another good one, once more with feline!

Would NOT come to me to be petted

they may well maul you if they be feral.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.