WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2020, 03:35 AM

Virus quarantine and you

How is the quarantine affecting you as an artist? Are you spending more time in the studio? Have you been doing more on line, perhaps more classes? (certainly not here, there have been few posting lately)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2020, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Re: Virus quarantine and you

Had to cancel 2 paint outs prior to shelter in place, then one when this started, now another into early April. I'm a plein air painter, not a studio painter. So was hungering to paint, but limited to my back yard yesterday. Couldn't find any inspiration. Looking at pix online isn't doing it for me either. Going out to the coast, the woods, whatever is what gets my creative juices flowing most times. So I'm frustrated with this semi-quarantine and apprehensive for the next month.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2020, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Not sure what the next couple weeks hold for me.

My son is home on leave, he left for home hours before the military cancelled leave. He just squeaked out of Spain before he would have been stuck there. Not sure if they will call him back early or leave him here longer or keep the schedule.

My husband works at a power plant, I'm waiting to hear when he won't be coming home for three weeks as they quarantine the workers to ensure the lights stay on. We have been trying to get everything in order before that happens. He has two neighbors lined up to help me if I'm here alone for three weeks.

Once I get some answers, I can prepare and eventually relax, until then, my mind is spinning. I have everything I need here, not overly worried. I plan on spending a lot of time painting and framing after this all shakes out. I can't relax until I have some answers. I am grateful I am not stuck in my house, on my land maybe, but I have lots of room to roam. I would probably be institutionalized in a week if I was stuck in an apartment.

All my problems are just organizing and planning. I feel for the small businesses and people layed off.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2020, 03:09 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

That's a great question! I was involved in 3 overlapping shows from March through May. All have been cancelled. I'm not upset about not hanging, I'm just sad I can't be with my fellow artists. One of the shows has run for for two weeks a year for 13 years.
I have a painting on the easel, but seem too distracted to paint. Maybe today. At least we still have the pastel forum.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2020, 11:29 AM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States

I would LOVE to use this time to paint. But I am SO distracted by the news and REAL fear of the virus that I don't seem to be able to find the inspiration!

Best wishes to all. Please, BE SAFE!!!!

Mike
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2020, 04:12 AM

I am finding it hard to get motivated also. That is why I created this post.

As for me, my Art Center has closed for the duration. My instructor is trying to continue her class by making on line presentations. But some of the students have pointed out that the main reason they enjoy the class is the interaction with each other. This week we are trying to address that by using Zoom for the classes. I'm not sure how well that is going to workout, but we're trying the best we can to keep working.

As Mike says, keeping inspired or motivated is my big challenge.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2020, 11:03 AM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States

It's sometimes nice to learn that one is "not alone." I need to force myself to get back to the painting. I think that is often the case. Like with a swimming pool.... if the water is a bit cool, one might hesitate, but if you force yourself to go ahead and dive in, you will soon find pleasure in what you are doing and the chill will be gone. And there are many other analogies that could be used. For those of you who ARE painting everyday, please keep sharing your works... as it is a way to perhaps inspire those of us who are struggling. Best wishes to all of you! STAY SAFE!!

Mike
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2020, 11:18 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

I'm the same as the rest of you. Too antsy to paint. I found something interesting, a couple of my internet friends that are usually chatty have been sending links to info about the virus with no chat between us. Taking the distancing a little far. Ha. I think we need to listen to the experts and not live from soundbites and talking heads and this will pass a lot sooner.

Strange too, that we normally stay home a lot just because we want to. We live 15 miles or so out of town. But as soon as they say we have to stay home we want to do something. We go out to live music and college baseball so we are missing that. Watching a concert on line just isn't the same.

Nice to have a place to chat here. Thanks, all.
Winston Churchill
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2020, 09:43 PM
Enthusiast
Republic of Panama

Hails from Panama

I have not had the time to paint really, i'm getting used to the whole "work from home" thing (my day job), but as work load lowers, which sadly is a possibility, i might find myself with more time to paint.
Do you now if there are fellow pastel artists doing online classes these days? It seems like a good idea for an artist that is on quarantine, don't you think?

In Panama, we had our first case 3 weeks ago, now we have 600+ cases, and 9 deaths, but there is a general curfew in the whole country since yesterday, so we think that could help turn things around.
We only get to go out in a designated hour based on the last digit of our id number, to get groceries and medicine, if necessary. The measures are reasonable, considering... time to enjoy our homes and family time. There's always something good in any bad situation.

Please take care of yourselves. Be safe!

Best,

Annette
"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way... things I had no words for". - G. O'Keeffe
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2020, 03:21 AM

Thank you, KC, for starting this thread, and my thanks to you all who have chimed in.

I suppose I've had good days and bad days. My bad days are more about wondering how some will manage to cope, economically and otherwise, with this crisis. Based on what many are saying, it's proving to be quite challenging. I know it has been for me emotionally. And yet I'm finding that I really need to open my eyes as to how lucky I am. I have a roof over my head, food, and am pretty well stocked up in the art department. By world standards, I'm "sitting pretty". So, I'm trying to remind myself of the many good things in my life. And I'm trying to exercise some discipline around art-making. When I manage to sit down and start working, wow, I feel so much better! It's like the chorus of angels begins singing.

So I wish for you and your loved ones whatever it is you need to manage this crisis. And I wish that Inspiration pay you a visit if you're open to it.

I'll add one last thing. I was speaking to a grocery store clerk yesterday and felt moved to offer her and her family blessings at this time. A huge smile came across her face.

John

My Beautiful Muse
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2020, 09:00 AM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States

I so agree, John. We, too, have been counting our blessings. We are retired.... so we will not be "out of work" for whatever period of time. We have no small children to take care of and feed.... just two little dogs. Our two young granddaughters' parents are keeping safe and healthy... and everyone in our family will manage financially. We have roofs over our heads, food to eat, and so many things to distract us such as television, movies, books, painting, online learning through youtube and Patreon pages, and yards where we can enjoy some outdoor space. So we can't really complain. Like you, I worry so much about the less fortunate among us. And I pray for the doctors, nurses and other healthcare workers who have the overwhelming task of caring for so many who are ill, often lacking needed supplies and equipment. As Fred Rogers once said, "Whenever something bad happens, always look for the helpers. There will always be good people reaching out to help those in need." His words apply to adults as well as children! In addition, we are able to come to social media platforms such as Wet Canvas to share our thoughts and our art. I am going to sit at my easel today and work on something I have been putting off. Perhaps once I pick up the pastels those angels you heard will appear and guide me through! Best wishes to all!
Mike
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2020, 09:17 AM

My class session via Zoom went pretty well this week. All ten of our students (with varying technical skills) were able to get it together and join in.

Normally, the two and a half hour class consists of the instructor's presentation for about an hour. After that we either work on an exercise from the presentation, or continue on our own projects for the rest of the time.

The on line version of the class class has changed. The instructor now prepares her presentation and sends it to us in advance. It is helpful to have her photographs taken in different stages of the work to refer back to. On the class day, we connect to each other via Zoom. This session is for us to show what we have been working on for comments and criticism, and talk about the presentation, or whatever else we may have on our minds.

This week, I bought up the inspiration/motivation issue, and got several good comments from the group.

It isn't the same as meeting in person, but it is a good attempt to deal with the circumstances we all find ourselves in. I have decided to give it another six weeks (the normal term of the course), to see it I find it worthwhile enough to continue.

It was interesting to note that the instructor has had some new long distance students sign up for her class. One from Arizona! (We're in Connecticut)
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2020, 12:42 PM

I am hanging out online with Johannes Vloothuis and his Paint-along broadcasts 1st, 2nd and 3rd Saturdays of every month. It is inspiring to watch him as well as interact with a great group of artists live on the chat.

I do understand the concern about this pandemic, but it too will pass. Hopefully our medical teams in place will be able to coordinate all the various aspects of the fight with all the various vendors and suppliers.

My part so far is to "social distance." I never would have considered that part of my vocabulary 3 weeks ago!

Anyway, I wish the best to fellow artists. Certainly it is more difficult for those who hold workshops and those who were planning to attend them.

Time to try out new things, new media and maybe some new approaches to pastel, watercolor, oil or whatever media you want to try.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso