WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2019, 02:40 PM
Auvergne (France)

Hails from France
Re: Koh-I-Noor soft or extra-soft pastels

Thank you Richard, very useful help. And the portraits I paint now are far more detailed than this old Mozart, in fact !
In conlusion, I have to TRY several pastels by myself in a shop to know which brand I prefer...
And I promise, I let down the Koh-i-noor ! :-D
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2019, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederique
In my shop, according to their web site, the 1/2 rembrandt are about 27 euros the set of 30.

Are these pastels soft, medium, or hard ? I didn't find any details about them...

I hope someone who knows the "Koh-I-Noor" will answer my questions too...

Koh I noor pastels with SOFT in the box name are very very soft. The ones without soft ( sometimes branded Toison'dor, or somethign like that) are medium.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2019, 11:39 AM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States

Your portraits are beautiful, Frédérique, so there is no need to "be indulgent." I have yet to even attempt a portrait with pastels. I would LOVE to do a portrait of my two granddaughters, but I procrastinate because I just don't have enough confidence yet. I do have some Stabilo Carbothelo pastel pencils, and I'm sure they would help with fine details in a portrait. But I've also see very loose, painterly portraits that I love. In any case, I wish you well with your return to the dry pastels!
I just noticed that you live in Auvergne. My wife is French, and my late father-in-law grew up in Lavoute-Chilhac. He was Auvergnat through-and-through. But he spent most of his adult live in Touraine, home to his wife and her family.
Bonnes fêtes de fin d'année!!
Mike
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2019, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Melbourne, Australia.

Hails from Australia

I just recently purchased my first ever soft pastels.
I bought Koh-i-noor in a box of 12.
The guy at the art shop drew lines and smudged on a test paper using both Koh-i-noor and Rembrandt, they appeared very similar. I went with these as they are more affordable for me.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2019, 08:56 AM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_K
I just recently purchased my first ever soft pastels.
I bought Koh-i-noor in a box of 12.
The guy at the art shop drew lines and smudged on a test paper using both Koh-i-noor and Rembrandt, they appeared very similar. I went with these as they are more affordable for me.

I, too, started with a small set that was affordable. Six months later, my collection of pastels has grown ... and continues to grow! I'm just warning you, Mario.... they are addictive! HAHA

I hope you will share some of your work with us in the pastel gallery!

Happy Painting and Happy Holidays!
Mike
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2019, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member

Frederique, this comparison of softness from Dakota Pastels might be handy for you in the future: https://www.dakotapastels.com/files/...tel-Lineup.pdf The Koh-i-noor of course fall into the "hard" category. Dakota hasn't updated this with the Richeson soft hand-rolled pastels, but those are generally considered to be on par with Unisons for softness/texture.

I bought some half stick sets to start, but am now building my collection by buying open stock pastels. I have a whole big "wish list" and based on what I'm working on, different colors bubble to the top when I'm making a purchase, but it's fun to grow the collection. I found the half stick sets to be a great way to start, but you're right that there were inevitably colors that I am hard-pressed to use up from some of the sets (I may have to do some monochrome self-challenges to use those sticks ;-)

I have to say that a very valuable thing for me starting out was to buy a sampler set where I got one pastel each of about a dozen different brands. You may be able to do the same kind of thing for yourself from open-stock and for some colors, buy the COLORS you want, but across a few brands until you zero in on the brand (or 2 or 3) that you want to collect. While I think it was nice of the guy in shop to show you the two pastels and smudge them out, what you SEE and what YOU FEEL yourself working with a particular brand may be two very different things (as any one brand will also feel different on various kinds of supports/paper).

I love your portrait! And have fun starting your collection - everyone is right about how addictive soft pastels are :-)