Home Forums Explore Subjects Classical Art Where to get natural red chalk?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Firefly1013

Hi there, I’m looking for sources for natural red chalk (sanguine) pieces. I’ve done a search here on WC but the only threads I could find were dated and the sources listed (Synopia, Studio Products, etc) are either no longer selling it or are out of business. Many thanks! :)

OK

L. Cornelissen of London stock it but you will not necessarily find it in there catalogue.
            When I went to the shop the assistant had to go down in the cellar and brought up a large hessian sack from which I could chose the lumps I wanted. It does vary in colour.
            It was then weighed up and I paid by weight. If you make inquires with them it’s called Lump Sanguine.

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
            — Allen Ginsberg
            Are you ready for a Journey?
            PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

Firefly1013

Thanks, Dave!

[B]L. Cornelissen of London [/B]stock it but you will not necessarily find it in there catalogue.
                When I went to the shop the assistant had to go down in the cellar and brought up a large hessian sack from which I could chose the lumps I wanted. It does vary in colour.
                It was then weighed up and I paid by weight. If you make inquires with them it’s called Lump Sanguine.

Im just on that same search, I bet you enjoyed that visit, intend to go myself next time Im in London, its the artists’ mecca. love the idea of that hessian sack:)

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
                More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
                Instagram
                https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

OK

Here is a taster for you David, this painting by Bernard Dunstan is of the old shop but the new shop has become just as cluttered and full of wonderful things :).

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                    — Allen Ginsberg
                    Are you ready for a Journey?
                    PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

Thanks Dave. I havent visited yet but emailed them and a quick phone call got me two pots of sanguine rock. I’ve made some experiments and produced a stick with sanguine dust and gum tagaranth. Yes, you can use it in rock form but it can have impurities in it which can cause scratching. The stick produced great results and you can sandpaper it to a pencil point and use the dust to recycle. A wonderful material and a great company to deal with :)

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
                    Instagram

As an addition to my last post, some formulae recommend adding a little preservative to the gum tragacanth solution. There are various, but watercolor formulae suggest a drop or two of clove oil. I’ve added a little to my latest mix.

Instagram

Following my last posts, I’ve experimented more with sanguine. Results to date have ben very scratchy and the stick is a little too hard with gum tragacanth. My lastest result needed a considerable amount of grinding both in the mortar and pestle and with a muller. I think it could have done with even more griding but its hard work to produce really fine dust by hand.

I have discovered an old renaissance recipe using a weak honey solution as the binder. I’ve also tried this with other pigments and its very effective, others of you may have tried this. It significantly reduces the dust with some pigments but not so much with sanguine.

Sanguine in its natural form is tricky to work with and its said that the best sanguine lumps are now in very short supply and often contain streaks of other minerals. Certainly the samples I have are not pure.

Whilst its wonderful to work with the same materials as the masters, these days its probably better to use modern materials.

Instagram

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.