WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Calligraphy
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#511   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada
Re: Calligraphy Online Tutorials

David - this one shows much improvement in the majuscules. The minuscules have suffered though.

The vertical strokes in 'M' and 'N' must be absolutely vertical - even a little bit of slant will make them look wonky.

The 'N' still leans to the right. Also, the top of the bowl stroke starts a bit closer to the top of the vertical stroke. Yours are a bit too far because the slanted hairline (the first stroke) is a bit flatter than 45 degrees - your nib angle is good which is why it shows up a bit thicker than it should be. This flattening is also present in the 'M' to a lesser degree.

The 'D' is getting there but more work is needed. The curve of the last (bottom) stroke is spread out a bit more and the stroke is thinner on the left side.

The 'B' and 'V' are good. The second bullhorn in the 'W' is coming too far to the right.

Practice the words 'Near Field Devices' and post for feedback. This will give you a chance to work on the 'F' too.

For some strange reason, I have always found it easy to cut reed pens. In teaching my Arabic Calligraphy student, I found that she wasn't starting the cut too close to the front (it should be about 2 finger widths from it). Once she got that, the shape came out nicely for her. Soaking the reed in water for an hour or so helps make the cuts a bit cleaner too.

If your reed (or bamboo) is 1/2 inch or more thick, take a little bit of material off the top of the writing edge. This will result in a nice flat edge to write with.

Salman

Salman

My Blog
  #512   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Calligraphy Online Tutorials

In Donald Jackson's book "The Story of Writing" on pp56-57 there is a good pictorial sequence on how to cut a quill pen. I have used the same method to cut reed pens but handle them a little more gently.

David, I have been watching your efforts with admiration. Salman has an incredible eye but you have risen to his demands with fortitude and quite a high degree of perceptive skill. I am glad that not me but you are his pupil !

Geoff