WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Any GIMP users?

I just downloaded GIMP (mac)

The learning curve is pretty steep but then it becomes pretty intuitive.

I've done the online tutorials and go to other forums for answers so I thought I'd start a little dialogue here too.

Buddha suggests to those who need inspiration for their art to go before a perfectly blank wall until it's design, compostion, and subject reveal itself. -Jack Rutherford
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Any GIMP users?

I think there is a GIMP tutorial in the Article Index.

If you do a search for GIMP you should find lots of references.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Eastern Washington State

I love GIMP. Once you get used to the interface, it's a lot easier to use than most other programs. I like all the different plug-ins that GIMP has.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Yes and I love using Gimp :-)

I use Gimp with Ramon Miranda's gps-gimp-paint-studio. It complete changes Gimp and makes it more Artist friendly :-)

I also love using My Paint which to me is more like real life oil and acrylic paint and drawing is great in My Paint too:-)

There is also a way to make My Paint's .ora files compatible with Gimp. I regularly swap my paintings between My Paint and Gimp.

Cheers

Uly
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Thnaks for the info Uly and welcome to the forum.

Doug
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Doug

Thanks for having me and I'm glad to be here :-)

Uly
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Yorky
Thanks I'll check it out.

Jderek
Quote:
I like all the different plug-ins that GIMP has.
When I was doing the tutorials from the GIMP site they mentioned plug-ins that I couldn't find. Are they separate programs you run simultaneously or where do I look?

Uly
Quote:
I use Gimp with Ramon Miranda's gps-gimp-paint-studio. It complete changes Gimp and makes it more Artist friendly :-)

I also love using My Paint which to me is more like real life oil and acrylic paint and drawing is great in My Paint too:-)

Are you on a Mac? I couldn't seem to find/get any paint programs to work. I'd really like to have a more ergonomic, intuitive way to paint that GIMP doesn't allow.

Buddha suggests to those who need inspiration for their art to go before a perfectly blank wall until it's design, compostion, and subject reveal itself. -Jack Rutherford
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Have you got Gimp working at the moment?

I'm not on Mac. I'm on windows but you shouldn't have any problems with running Gimp or Gimp GPS on Mac

Here is the Tutorial on how to install Gimp GPS. You need the lastest version of Gimp installed then install these add on files...
http://code.google.com/p/gps-gimp-pa...i/Installation

Gimp GPS page:
http://code.google.com/p/gps-gimp-paint-studio/

My Paint:
http://wiki.mypaint.info/Development/Packaging#OSX

It seems they are still having issues with the Mac version of My Paint. If your not Tecky or familiar with your Mac Operating system you might want to wait for a more stable version of My paint for Mac.

Have you tried Art Rage yet? They have a demo and Art Rage pro is less than $60 US. It's very good too!!

Let Us know how you go?

Uly

"Please be kind to all Animals and Stop Cruelty to All Animals!"

Last edited by Uly : 02-02-2012 at 05:10 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2012, 06:27 PM

Hails from United States

My primary program of choice is Adobe Photoshop but I do use GIMP sometimes. I have been able to achieve the same results in GIMP as I would in Photoshop. The only difference with GIMP is that it takes a bit longer to get used to the interface than PS.

My Videos
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2012, 10:56 PM

Hails from United States

My long-delayed goal of learning GIMP is going to be one of the foci of the winter months. I also write, and am doing NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) hoping to get further on a novel I started in '09.

I guess the first thing to do is watch the basic GIMP online tutorials, right?

I've not done much with Photoshop except take a short course at a community arts center and that was 2 years ago and rather rushed. GIMP does seem even more difficult to learn. I keep thinking "Okay, I think I've got this 'Layers' business clear in my mind now," then I start a project and get all lost.

Wish me luck!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
W Ontario

Hails from Canada

If you are more familiar with PS there is a plug in for Gimp to make the interface PS like. Last time I looked there was one in Download.com
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Enthusiast

I use GIMP, but only the graphing feature, and I look that up each time, because it's not frequent enough to remember it. There are other things I want to learn, and plan to spend time on them. Layering is one, finding angles and measurements, are a others. One day...
Ella
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 PM

I hope this time my post won't be hacked/misplaced as it did two times before :-(.

I use GIMP. I find it to be a very good and capable program for many tasks. When people complain about it saying that its user interface is very hard to learn, I know from my experience that it's not true (well..., almost). And I will tell you why. Most of the people having difficulties learning GIMP's GUI (which got a major improvement with version 2.8) are Photoshop users. And they have these difficulties because when they come to GIMP they expect to find another Photoshop. They get so frustrated when things that they could do in seconds with Photoshop takes them minutes or hours in GIMP. BUT. They tend to forget that when they first started to use Photoshop they had the same feelings and faced the same difficulties. They tend to forget how many books and tutorials they've read about how to use Photoshop and how many hours they've spent trying to learn about all the tools and how to use them. Both Photoshop and GIMP are very complex programs and it is natural to require from the user to spent a certain amount of time learning them in order to be productive with them. In my opinion GIMP is no more difficult to learn than Photoshop, or any other similar program, is. It just does things different in order to achieve the same result.

I also see another pattern in people that are new to digital painting. They think that they have to find that one magic program that will cover every artistic need they could possibly have. They also tend to attach great importance to what other people use or say. Here is how I look at this. I don't limit my self to only one program thinking that...: “Other people say X program is the best. So I MUST do everything with it”. If I find that another program can do the effect I am after better and/or faster than the one I am currently using then I go and use that one. Think about it like this: Replace in your mind the word Program with the word Brush. If you wanted to paint a certain detail and you knew that there is a Brush out there that is designed especially for this job, wouldn't you rather go and get that Brush instead of torturing your self trying to achieve your goal with Brushes that do less better job? It is commonplace among professional digital artists to use more than one program in their pipeline. No Program can do everything.

Also there are other factors to consider, like cost. Most people are intimidated by GIMP's user interface. I am more terrified by Photoshop's price (849€ last time I checked)! For an amateur artist, that makes little to no money, a price like that makes it unreachable.

Having said all that, I mostly tend to use only GIMP (with Gimp Paint Studio) simply because GIMP completely covers my needs and more. Here are two paintings that I did using only GIMP and GPS:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943108
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960569

If you think that what you see in my paintings cover your artistic needs, then GIMP is a great program to choose. If not, then there is nothing wrong to use another one that does cover your needs.

P.S. For anyone interested in learning how to use GIMP there is also a free online book called Grokking the GIMP. It is written for older versions but many things still apply (with or without some changes). You can find it here:http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html