Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics How to paint like the masters with acrylics?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Hi. I have the book How To Paint Like The Old Masters by Joseph Sheppard. It is NEAT!! Haven’t started on one of the lessons yet though, could be I am scared to try ;)

Do have a question though. I need to extend the ‘working time’ on my paints. What brand of ‘slow drying time’ media do you use?

Checked on products through Dick Blick dot com and am wondering which one to try first. Golden has a few types but according to their labels they make the paint glossy or satin when dry and I don’t want that to effect the final varnish or final look of the painting.

The reason I want to slow the drying time is because the lessons require you to do a lot of blending. I’ve studied the pictures of the finished paintings and they look very much like I want to be able to paint. I see a lot of Boris and other fantasy artists in the brushwork and the skin is just beautiful!!

Plus I LOVE Ivory Black and use black in my artwork though I have read several posts that oppose that color. Well, I like it and if the old masters used it it is good enough for me. Even if they didn’t I’d still love it. Mars Black is cool too but Ivory is my favorite. It is alive like the darkest blackness of space and when I look at it it just makes me feel good and peaceful. A few paintings in this book, the ones I want to learn from, use Ivory Black. All the other colors just come to life and are much richer because of that. Or that might just be my preference and the way the photography made the pictures look.

Well, now my rambling is over. Would like to know if you have any thoughts on what medium to use.

Thanks muchly
    :D

MicheleO

Thank you for this question about medium, because I also have the same question. I haven’t found one that I like. I did want to comment on your use of Ivory black.

I also have spent years trying to avoid black in my paintings, all my formal training has frowned upon it. It certainly is useful to learn how NOT to use black, to get your darks using other colors, but the best lesson I have learned in painting is NOT to put any rules or limits on what you want to do.
        Don’t get caught up in too many rules and just have fun..

- MicheleO

"Painting is just another way of keeping a diary."
        Pablo Picasso
        :wave:

snuffy

thalo-
            I have that same book and have tried at least twice to copy one of the paintings using acrylics, without success. The medium I use is Golden Acrylic Glazing Liquid. It only leaves the paint open about 10 to 15 minutes, less on a hot or dry day. What I did was apply the color and blend w/ a fan blender. It seemed to work OK, but I couldn’t get the richness of the photos in the book. I am now in the underpainting stage of an attempt in oils, which are incredibly slow compared to acrylics.
            btw, the AGL doesn’t leave a matte or gloss effect unless you use it in several layers and then it gets slightly glossy.

Well, I am still hopeful because there is no way I can use oils. And if nothing else I’ll learn something from it I am sure.

And about your attempt with oils, let me know how it goes. You should have started with acrylic underpainting then put the oils on.

kiteless

i am using the satin acrylic glazing medium and it isn’t leaving any sort of shine if that is what you are worried about. also, a big bottle is something like $6 so you wouldn’t be out too much if you hated it. i don’t have any other suggestions for blending, i pretty much paint pop art, so not much blending needed!

"the question isn't what are we going to do today, the question is what aren't we going to do?" --ferris bueler
                DebSpinks

I use Utrecht gel extender, mixing in about 15% before I add my medium. I use heavy body acrylics, and the gel is about the same texture. If I need to glaze, I then thin further with Golden glazing medium.

To help keep the paints open for a longer time, I place a damp heavy duty paper towel (the blue shop towels by Scot are great) under a disposable palette sheet and spritz the mixed paints with water periodically. It keeps the paint open for my usual 3 hours long session.

It doesn’t much matter if you use gloss or matte medium. I actually got tired of checking to see if I’d grabbed the matte or gloss bottle, so I mixed them together to create a satin medium. If I want it more glossy or matte in the end, I end with a layer of the appropriate finish.

Regarding acrylic underpainting with oil, I’ve heard that they have recently been finding some adhesion issues with this. I think it is when the acrylic underlayer is too thick. As far as I know, this should not be a problem if the underlayer is very thin.

Debra

Debra
                    Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
                    Debra Spinks Art on Facebook & Instagram

I got an email reply from Liquitex that said their drying time extender mediums don’t change the color of the paint so I guess I’ll try them first. I will try several just to get a product that I can make work best for me.

I did try Clear Blend by Grumbacher, or however you spell it, and it was nice for blending but only as much as using water. It really didn’t make the paint stay any wetter any longer than what I thought was normal work time. I might try their Slow Blend though. Jo Sonja makes a neat gloss varnish that I love, might have to check if they make slow drying mediums. They are more craft paint oriented though.

Well, I have made the choice of what painting from the book to try! Now alls I gots to do is get a canvas ready! We should have a nervous, sweating smiley to go here.

deLYNNEation

nervous, sweating smiley, smiling with gritted teeth!! ahhh new challenges. Now how do I get dried acrylic off of stainless steel sink?? Smiling thru gritted teeth at husband but it’s no use, he’s on to my foibles.

I started using Acrylics @ end of summer – 80 deg. F., very low humidity, windy. I started using the glazing liquid but quit as weather became cooler & more humid. Last week I was using Acrylics for plein aire painting in the fog & the paints wouldn’t dry!! The sun finally came out & I could get some work done.

I bought ‘retarder’ to keep things open . . . I find that blending this in, along with keeping a mister bottle handy keeps most of the paints ready to go & I’m getting better w/ mixing & judging quantities to mix. Now that weather is cooler there’s less stress w/ the timing of things.

I found that using a plexiglas palette a waste of time. I found that a ‘stay-wet’ palette works really great w/ any type of disposable paper palette – just wet the sponge, place the paper palette on sponge, seal it & it’s good to go for up to 6 to 7 days.

Hi. Yes, I am excited about trying this new technique. But the problem isn’t the paints staying wet on the pallet it is the paints drying too fast on the canvas. According to the book I have to paint everything in black and white and then put on such and such a color and then reinstate features and then put on a lighter color and then blend the two with a stiff bristle brush that is dry. Well, that might work great in oils but my acrylics dry almost as soon as they are painted on the canvas. Bummer. I can’t paint too thick of a layer because then you have the problem of paint blending out of bounds and you have to restate the edges.

I use ‘tuuperware’ type of ‘tubs’ as palletes. This keeps the paints useable for as long as needed.

Acrylics should come off the sink with a brillo pad. Get the area nice and wet, let sit, then scrub-a-dub.

:)

Guess what? I got an email from the author himself Joseph Sheppard and he said acrylics wouldn’t work. Wellllll, I am still going to try it anyway :D

I know I will get some knowledge out of it and I might could get a similar result or be able to make up a technique to get the same kind of result. I am looking for more roundness and more realism in my persons. It doesn’t matter much to me what techniques I use to get there. If nothing else I will have to make drybrushing work better than it does now. But I know that acrylics can give me the effects I am looking for. I am not certain I can explain or others are understanding what it is about the Old Masters paintings that I like and want to do in my own paintings.

There is just no way I am using oils and smelly solvents that will make me sick for days. I already know I am allergic so oils are a complete NO unless water soluables, or whatever the proper term is, are like acrylics in their clean up, ease of use, and are as non toxic and safe as acrylics.

Now on to my new adventure!!

sceper

I have found that water soluble oils are a good compromise between quick drying acrylics and the smell of oil paints. I’ve bought some Artisan and MAX2 and they seem to handle about the same for me.
                            Dying time, without a medium, has been about a day. I haven’t found anything that extends acrylics’ drying time on the canvas long enough for blending on canvas.

There are a number of mediums for use with water soluble paints which should change how the paint handles and dries, but I haven’t got that far yet. I did purchase the books

“Painting With Water Soluble Oils
                            by Sean Dye ”
                            which was useful

and

Brushwork Essentials: How to Render Expressive Form and Texture With Every Stroke
                            by Mark Christopher Weber
                            which deals with water soluble paint and is very helpful on many levels. I would definitely recommend this one.

sceper

I have found that water soluble oils are a good compromise between quick drying acrylics and the smell of oil paints. I’ve bought some Artisan and MAX2 and they seem to handle about the same for me.
                                Dying time, without a medium, has been about a day. I haven’t found anything that extends acrylics’ drying time on the canvas long enough for blending on canvas.

There are a number of mediums for use with water soluble paints which should change how the paint handles and dries, but I haven’t got that far yet. I did purchase the books

“Painting With Water Soluble Oils
                                by Sean Dye ”
                                which was useful

and

Brushwork Essentials: How to Render Expressive Form and Texture With Every Stroke
                                by Mark Christopher Weber
                                which deals with water soluble paint and is very helpful on many levels. I would definitely recommend this one.

Thanks. I might give H2O oils a try later on. I won’t be able to use any of the mediums talked about in the Old Masters books though for health reasons.

What I need is more blending time and then I can discover what more I need from there in regards to my acrylics which I am loath to retire.

Johnnie

Hi

Was reading this and thought you folks might want to check this site out.

http://www.flemishrealism.com/

Dennis does a layer technique of sorts and he uses acrylics for underpaintings. Then switches to Watersoluble oils. I really like the idea of the acrylic underpainting myself as it allows for faster drying before the next layer.

There is some short video samples of his videos he has for sale. You can download with a Save-as and look at them off lineif you wish. Just another avenue to be explored. Might be of some use.

THought this might interest someone. I am going to purchase a couple of his videos after Xmas is over.

Anyway check it out. It might possibly show your a direction that might work for you all.

Johnnie

Spread Kindness Like Confetti !!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                  • The topic ‘How to paint like the masters with acrylics?’ is closed to new replies.