WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2015, 03:42 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Far North Coast NSW Aussieland

Hails from Australia
WIP Portrait "A Mothers Love"

I recently was asked to paint a portrait for a friend of mine so I took photos along the way, I thought it would make a good WIP to show some of my methods of painting.

Firstly I have my Arches 300 gm medium paper stretched onto a board, my portrait drawn in with pencil and ref picture by my side, all ready to go.

I find it is crucial to my painting to have a good pencil sketch of my portrait. This is the accuracy which is so hard to fix if it is wrong after you have started to paint. So I always double check the portrait sketch before I paint to make sure it is as accurate as it can be.

the size of my painting is 30 by 30 cm.

I have favourite colours I usually always use for portraits, and as I go I tend to add a few more as needed. My palette is made up of mostly Winsor Newton.
With a mixture of Permanent Carmine and Winsor Blue (the green shade) I mix up a rather watery purple and start painting in the darker areas on the face.

I let this totally dry before I glaze in another layer. If I was to paint over this first layer when the paint was still wet, I will end up with muddied colours. The idea of glazing is to let each layer dry first, as this gives the finished painting a beautiful glow, and clean colours, some say is much like stained glass windows. I usually always glaze my skin tones, not working wet into wet all that much.

I then continue to build my foundation with darker purple on the darks and more Permanent Carmine on the skin tones. I paint in the eyes with a mixture of blues. Using the watery purple mixture I also paint in the back ground of the right side of her face, and I negatively paint in her hair.

My palette now has a mixture of different little puddles of colour I can use, as I painted her hair in I also used different mixtures, not just the purple. it is all about experimenting and learning as you go

I use the same purple mixture, this time a little stronger in colour to paint in the pattern for her swimwear, which is actually black. I never use black, but will mix colours that make "pretty " blacks. these colours are always colours I use in my painting. so here for the first layer of black I am using a mix of Winsor blue ( the green shade) and Permanent Carmine.
I have also painted in the flowers with Permanent Carmine.

Now I introduce Winsor Yellow and glaze over her skin tones where I feel it needs balancing out. I don't touch the highlights yet, rather leaving them the white of the paper. Paint in the yellow of her swimwear, and negative paint her hair with a purpley mixture I have used before.

I keep adding layers of skin tones using my main colours of Permanent Carmine, Winsor blue ( the green shade) and winsor yellow.

I have also added another layer to the black in her swimwear. This time I used a mixture of Winsor Green ( the blue shade) and Alizerin Crimson, which makes a lovely black... Be careful not to go too dark with your blacks too soon. A subtle black for now will do, and I can adjust it later if needed. it is hard to go back and make it less intense after you have already painted it in.

I paint in her lips with a watery mix of permanent carmine , then when it is dry I glaze over this, adding some Winsor Violet to give a slight depth. I only add a small amount as this is a very strong colour.

I will update tomorrow
hope I am explaining this ok, and feel free to ask me any questions along the way.

Last edited by Netty : 07-29-2015 at 04:14 AM. Reason: same as always... spelling :)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2015, 04:24 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: WIP Portrait "A Mothers Love"

A lovely start. Thanks for the WIP.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2015, 04:24 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Netty, your explanations are very easy to follow! Thank you!

I love how this is progressing, and will enjoy watching this WIP!

I have to ask, what is the pigment number for the W/N Permanent Carmine?

Margarete

Last edited by M.L. Schaefer : 07-29-2015 at 04:27 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2015, 04:53 AM

Hails from Australia

Your welcome Doug, thank you
Margarete, the pigment number is 0102 479
Thanks for your encouragement
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2015, 08:09 AM
Ohio

Hails from United States

Looks great!. A suggestion I learned from my portrait painter teacher. Unless you want the attention to go to the mouth, don't paint individual teeth. Just a suggestion of teeth is all that is needed.

my website: www.janpastor.com
Jan Pastor on YouTube
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2015, 03:08 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Looking good - keep going!!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2015, 02:55 AM

Hails from Australia
Smile Re: WIP Portrait "A Mothers Love"

Thank you Jan and Terry
Jan I actually like painting mouths and teeth, I was a bit worried about the little girls teeth as she is at the ugly teeth stage before she grows beautiful young lady teeth.

I decide my background will be a mix of greens and blues, to indicate a grassy BG as in the ref picture, so I lay in colour using sap green, winsor blue ( the green shade) and winsor yellow. also painting the area between the mother and daughter with winsor green and winsor blue. I do this wet into wet.

I continue to paint in the girls hair with different mixes on my palette consisting of the colours I have used in her skin tones. using the colours from the skin tones gives a "colourful" more interesting hair than using browns. I like to lay a blue over a crimson and make lovely colourful hair. By trying different mixes of pigment you can achieve lovely hair colours. I have also glazed with a watered down winsor green as you do find shades of green in blonde hair. Rememeber to let each layer dry completely before adding another glaze, otherwise you can create a muddied colour.

My ref pic is a tad dark so I have decided to go lighter in my tonal range.
Next I lay a wash of winsor yellow over the mothers face, let it dry and then lay permanent carmine over the darks like her forehead, under her chin and arm.

These two peas in a pod are sunburnt as most Aussies who live by the coast usually spend way too much time in the sun. So i debated whether to include the sunburn, i didn't want to go too red, but did decide to add the depth of red to her arm and under her chin, as it did tend to set her back in the composition. She is actually laying down on the grass and her daughter is leaning up on her elbows, thats why her head seams bigger than her mums. So thanks Terry for mentioning the dark red of her arm in my other thread, I do see how it could look a bit overbearing.

I continue on the mothers face by glazing skin tones over each other, really looking to see what colours are where. Also painting in her eyes, I lay a yellow wash in her eyes under the blue. I paint the whites of her eyes with a watery mix of beautiful blue I have just discovered called Manganese blue. I also indicate the shadow of her eyelashes at the top of her eye painting in the same blue mix with a tad more blue and a tiny paynes grey.

To paint eyebrows I first lay in a watery wash of a dark, it is usually a purply pink with a slight touch of green to knock the intensity back. This wash is the shape of the eye brow. Then when its dry I will add a few hints of hair with the same colour, i use a watery wash as it wont leave too much of a distinct line. You don't really want eyebrows that look drawn on where you can see each and every hair. It is the same with eyelashes, you want to just indicate that there are eyelashes, don't paint each one in individually. If I find my eyebrows are not dark enough, I will wait till my painting has developed more before adding more wash to the eyebrow, then it is easier to decide just how dark to go. I find it is better to be a tad lighter than darker.

I lay washes of colour in her hair and also lay a blue wash on the left side of the girls face. Cool colours recede, where warm colours advance, so a cool wash of blue on the side of her face will cause it to recede and show the side plane of her cheek.
This is where I look at the skin tones and adjust them by more glazing. I use a gorgeous Warm Orange, slight touches of winsor green, winsor violet, permanent carmine and winsor yellow to keep building on my skin tones.

This is how I glaze.
I usually use a No 6 oval wash brush, the one I have is an Art Basics brand, squirrel mix. I love it, it has a lovely point on the end which really helps to get the paint into the little pointy areas, and gives nice edges.
I load my brush with the colour I want to glaze, its usually a watery mixture as I do lots and lots of layers.... I lay the wash into the desired area ( I mainly do sections at a time, not the whole face in one go.. you end up with a dull boring skin tone otherwise) then when I am happy with that I rinse my brush in clean water and gently take out the excess dripping water with a tissue and I paint in clear water from the outer edge of where I have painted, where it is dry, and brush back into the wet. This helps the pigment I had layed down gently merge into the paper and you end up with a really lovely soft skin tone transition... if that makes sence very hard to explain I tell you....
Sometimes I dab with a tissue...

I paint in her necklace with my colourful blacks and her chain, which has been negatively painted.

When painting teeth, I use colours from the skin tones to add shadow.(purple, blue, crimson) Teeth are usually darker at the sides of the mouth and if you don't give them a darker tone then they will sit flat and not look like they sit back into the mouth.

Here is my finished portrait, There are still things that I am not happy with but I don't think I have every painted a portrait that I was totally happy with. There is always room for improvement.
Please ask me if you have any questions or if you have any constructive comments, it would be much appreciated.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2015, 03:30 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Thanks for completeing the WIP Netty, I suggest we add it to the Watercolor Demos.

Doug
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2015, 03:57 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I find this beautiful....exquisite how you do the faces. Only one distraction, on Mother's arm, the shoulder, there seems to be an unnatural line...I can't put it to the clothing cutting into her shoulder.

Again, exquisite!!! I adore the eyes...!!! I've learned so much following your work step-by-step.

Margarete
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2015, 06:06 AM

Hails from Australia

Thank you Doug, that's very kind of you and I am honoured

Margarete, yes I do see the distraction, it actually is not as noticeable IRL, I find the colours are a bit more saturated here online. The unnatural line is her skin folding over as she is lifting up her arm to take the picture with her mobile phone. She has a few more skin folds which I left out, and I have painted this area lighter than it is in the real picture. Thank you for your beautiful comments and also for pointing this out to me. I will have a second look at the painting and might be able to lighten and soften the edges.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2015, 12:50 AM
Near Toronto Ontario

Hails from Canada

Oh my, oh my, I will be studying this in detail as soon as I have time. Spectacular!

Bunny

Ann Elizabeth AKA Bunny