Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Cool raw umber recommendation?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    olsa123

I’m looking for a cool leaning single pigment raw umber. It’s important that it’s genuine PBr7 and not a mixture, which rules out Rembrandt and Sennelier for instance. I’ve been using Winsor & Newton Artists’ so far, and while it is a good enough paint, it is a bit too warm for my taste (I already have burnt umber on my palette when I need a warm umber) and I would prefer something cooler. Any recommendations among my fellow oil painters in here?

Gigalot

I think, that cool raw umber can be any Black paint. Bone Black or Mars black or even Perylene black. Perylene PBk31 is especially gorgeous greenish black. They are warmer than vine black but still useful as a deep shade paint.

joshuaw

When I was at the Vasari showroom, I remember seeing their raw umber tinted and thought it was particularly neutral.

While not “raw umber,” Rublev’s roman black is a naturally derived iron black that is very neutral, if not just the slightest tick to the warm side. Not as dark in value as say, ivory black, and just slightly gritty out of the tube (seems not to make a difference when brushed out). I am particularly fond of this one — nice for portraiture.

olsa123

Interesting that you mention Vasari. In my search for the perfect cool raw umber, I posed the same question to a painter on Youtube, Jason Walcott, who does really interesting paint reviews, and he also recommended Vasari. He also suggested Rublev’s Cassel Earth, which seems like a lovely paint to try out. The only downside is that I can’t find Vasari or Rublev here in Sweden…

olsa123

Gigalot, I don’t know that I would substitute raw umber for a black, but I’m really curious to try perylene.

joshuaw

Interesting that you mention Vasari. In my search for the perfect cool raw umber, I posed the same question to a painter on Youtube, Jason Walcott, who does really interesting paint reviews, and he also recommended Vasari. He also suggested Rublev’s Cassel Earth, which seems like a lovely paint to try out. The only downside is that I can’t find Vasari or Rublev here in Sweden…

Careful with the cassel earth. If I remember correctly, while it is an alluring color, I believe it dries very slowly and there are lightfastness issues.

I think there are some online retailers that sell Vasari. Not sure that they deliver to Sweden tho :/.

Gigalot

I can pick up my Raw umber tube with magnet. I think it contains lots of black iron oxide into pigment chemical structure. And this Raw umber looks like black paint slightly diluted with yellow ochre or something close in color. I can substitute Raw umber with Black pigment. Why not? :)

What about Winsor & Newton’s Raw Umber green shade?

insert pithy comment here.

JCannon

I have not tried it, personally, but judging from the sample on the Blick site, the Michael Harding Raw Umber[/URL] appears quite cool and dark when compared to competing umbers. That’s a PBr6, which may not suit your fancy.

The Blockx Cassel Earth[/URL] is a PBr7 and it appears quite cool — a light grey in a 50/50 tint, a very dark brown when used transparently.

You may want to consider this Cyprus Raw Umber, previously unfamiliar to me.

enelram

Vasari has a new international shipping policy so you could check it out at vasaricolors.com.

Phantasm

You may give it a try to Pebeo’s Raw Umber, it is actually green :

budigart

I’ve been using Williamsburg raw umber, but after reading the above info, I may give some of them a try. Years ago, the best raw umber I could find was Grumbacher. Laid out in a string, it produces a cool gray. But it changed, and so did I.

If you’ve never tried Williamsburg’s Italian Black Roman Earth, you might find it helpful also. According to company info, it’s a combination of raw umber and lamp black. When laid out in a string, it produces a near perfect neutral gray.

olsa123

Awesome suggestions, I will try them out when I can get a hand on them here in my remote part of the world.

The WN Raw Umber Green Shade was also interesting. I had a tube on hand and painted with for a while. The shade is very nice, definitely much closer to neutral than WN’s regular raw umber. The only downside is it’s MUCH weaker in tints… However, that led me to try a mix of my own: WN Burnt Umber and WN Winsor Green (Phthalo). I mixed a 10:1 ratio and that produced a gorgeous dark slightly greenish neutral. Perfect in flesh mixes. I think will keep this mix on my palette until I get a chance to try out the paints mentioned above.

papawdelta

Natural Pigments [Rublev] US website shows some 18 umbers. The Italian Raw Umber Green [as well as others] is identified as PBr7. Their European website shows 8 umbers, including the Italian Raw Umber Green. Perhaps one of these leans toward your desired “shade”.
                                                        https://www.naturalpigments.com/oil-painting/paints.html?paint_color=33
                                                        https://www.naturalpigments.eu/oil-painting/paints.html?paint_color=33
                                                        The European location is shown as Beyerberger Str. 1 91596 Burk / Germany

ronsu18

norway i think is the closest for williamsburg. i sometimes surf there to drool over the earths:
                                                            https://www.torso.no/williamsburg-oljemaling-37ml-2
                                                            there are two more norwegian sellers and a store finder at the williamsburg site. longer delivery times for now, as expected.

C&C welcome

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.