Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting stretcher bars

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Jon.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lpaint22

Hi All, I hope everyone is safe and spending their time in their studios. I have a question. Because of the Coronavirus, my local art supply stores are closed. I have gone back to stretching my own canvases. I need to get stretcher bars and I have a dilemma. I need dead eye straight bars that are heavy duty and about 1 1/2 inches deep. I usually go into the stores and pick the bars very carefully to make sure they are straight and have no warp at all. I can not do that now, so I need to order some. Does anyone have a favorite brand that they feel usually are clean and not warped? I will order more of each size then I need, but it would not be helpful if a significant percentage are not useable. I have used different brands, but as I said, I have to go through stock in the bins to get the pieces I need. It would be helpful if others have had good experience with ordering them and getting a good product. Thanks

I hope one of the guys have an answer, I would paint and hang the canvases on the wall until the store open then you can stretch them.

I have ordered “Fredericks” stretchers. They are excellent. Mid-priced and straight and strong.
        Also consider taping the canvas to a board, then stretching/mounting them later.
        I know there is nothing as good as that bounce of a newly-stretched canvas!

bethany
        moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
        website www.bethanyart.com
        My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

Lpaint22

Thank you for your suggestions. I ordered heavy duty stretcher bars and just ordered 3x what I need. I figure I should be able to get straight ones out of that lot. Any bent ones will be replaced (I am told). I ordered 2 days ago and got a notice this morning that they will be delivered by the end of the day!! Not bad

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.