WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 10:14 AM
NY

Hails from United States
Rental Home and Creating Art

Hi,
This is a strange question, but I have to ask it. I'm a mixed media artist- watercolor, soft pastel, acrylic, collage- , currently living in NY, about to make a move out of state.

I find I'm going to be living a rental condo for then few years, or at least until I find some place I truly want to buy in again.
I'll have an area in the home I'm renting to use as a studio, but I'm very concerned about trying to keep everything "clean" since I'm not the owner. Until now, I've always owned the home I've had my studio in and never really considered how my art making process would be effected if I didn't own the home. It's not that I'm throwing paint all over the place, but I want to be able to use my "tools" without limiting my creativity.

I'm wondering if there are any other artists that rent their homes and have their studios in the home. Do you feel limited in your creation process because you don't own the property? How do you have your studio set-up - or what precautions do you take to keep everything clean.

If anyone has any info they could share with me, I'd greatly appreciated it!

Thank you,
John
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 11:35 PM
Enthusiast
North Vancouver, BC Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Rental Home and Creating Art

Why feel limited at all? If the rental has a floor that needs protecting, put down ram board (heavy cardboard) to protect it and duct tape the seams. It's available at most construction supply stores.

http://www.ramboard.com/index.php

Don't worry about getting the walls dirty, as it's easy and cheap to repaint before you move out.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 06:37 AM
NY

Hails from United States

Never thought of that... That's a great idea!

Thanks!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 10:13 AM

I own my home and have started using a guest bedroom as my work space and I wanted to keep the floors protected. I bought two cheap rugs at Ikea for $15 and threw an old sheet over the bed. I try to stay away from the walls.

I know Home Depot has indoor/outdoor carpet really cheap - 6x8 for $17. I didn't use that since the bottom was a little scratchy and I have hardwoods.

In a thread I posted in this forum about where to set up my space, Ivon posted pictures of a home studio using a piece of linoleum on the floor and plastic sheets tacked to the wall to protect it. You should check it out - good ideas in there.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 AM
NY

Hails from United States

Thank you! Cheap area rugs are a great idea also.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 05:07 AM

Hi there!

I am, same as you, living in a rental, and have been for most of my life.

You don't feel limited once you learn the alternatives. For example, in the city I live in, drilling into the walls more than like...2 holes per wall is not allowed to the tenant. If you do you must pay a fine, AND re-paint any wall they ask you to once you leave the lease. There are many more very strict rules here, so it is tough here being an artist and renting a house!

Having a small room, I wanted, at first, everything on the walls; wall easels, shelving and hanging, to save me space in the middle of the room. Of course I can't with these strict rules! I am actually JUST setting up my studio right now! We just moved here a few days ago!

Here's some of what I am doing:

To get my storage for art supplies, I have enlisted the local Goodwill for bookcases. I measured the wall I can dedicate to storage, and I want to use it floor to ceiling as I don't have much space in here.

I'll be buying 4 bookcases, 2 large ones and 2 smaller ones. I will drill the smaller bookcases into the top of the large ones, and fasten the top of each double bookcase, to the wall for extra support. Now I only have 2 screws in the wall! Which is allowed! And I am getting a wall-full of shelving units without damaging the wall by installing tons of shelving.

As for my studio equipment, I don't know what you use but I use the floor, my french easel as a drafting table (I put a wood board on it for that) and portable easel, my studio easel, and 2 large working tables.

In my last rooms I had to have all my easels folded away, and my worktables were, well was, 1 nightstand!

I knew I would be moving in here though, so I prepared! Here's what I did.

The first thing was get a HUGE floor cover. Do not make the mistake of using just any fabric or nylon. YOU WILL SLIP!! I HAVE BEEN THERE!

Plus, you want something that is easy to see spills on, easy to wash, or if it's plastic-y, easy to clean.

Everyone has their own preferences for a floor cover. In one of my old rooms I used a sheet, but it starts to smell bad quick.....especially after water media spills on it and the washing machine doesn't always help doesn't help.

Using clear nylon, or disposable table cloths is a recipe for disaster!!!!!!!!!

From falling on your back to having it be near impossible to keep clean...all in all, trust me, bad idea!

Newspapers, even taped to the ground, wrinkle, smell, tear, are hard to see small drops on, so your socks get stained, and must be changed all the time.

I don't know about you, but after trying that for 3 days I got sick of it and wanted something more permanent.

An old rug (get it used, nice and cheap) works great, just make sure it is not too fuzzy or you won't see tiny spills, and make sure the colour is one where a paint spill would stand out on shall it happen.

Some people use long rolls of paper....the crunching sound when you walk on it got on my nerves quick! And it tears REALLY easily!

A light, medium thick fabric blanket, like a light fleece one, taped to the floor if you want it to not move, works great! If you get a good colour, like a light sky blue, you'll see every drop, and it keeps your feet pretty warm, it's light and easy to drop in the wash, easy to replace, easy to fold or roll up...just.... easy. A great floor cover to use.

Then there's canvas. Yeah, actual rolled canvas. I have one big roll of un-primed canvas and it makes a great floor protector. Some people find it itchy sometimes if you paint in your bare feet, but overall, it's durable, doesn't tear and over time, looks like a nice work of art from some spills!

Then there's my personal favourite, an old, hard, plastic pvc shower curtain!

I like it because it feels harder, like a floor (I have carpet underneath) and you can actually wash it like a floor with a wet swiffer! Spills come right off the plastic with a tissue and some water. And oil spills just wipe right off.

It is extremely durable, easy to roll up, and doesn't tear. Depends on the curtain you have, they usually don't smell either, I love mine! But the blanket and canvas would have to tie to be my second choice.

As you can see, from years of rental I've tried most everything!

Now for the walls.

If you need them a certain colour, and you're not allowed to paint, or you don't WANT to paint someone else's house for free, then if you are allowed to drill alot, something I did in one house and worked GREAT, is to cover the wall in cheap, white bristol board!

The walls were deep red, and we couldn't paint, so I bought some big bristols for 25 cents each, so pretty cheap, and covered the walls!

It was FANTASTIC! And reflected great light in the room. So that's one option, and you can get these in every colour you need, and every sheen: matte or gloss.

I chose white eggshell, and it was great.

If you can't do that, the other thing that works to cover the walls- from potential brush splatters of your paint, and if you don't like the colour, is hanging fabric directly on the wall.

I am doing that here. Because the room is not completely ready yet, I have some time to decide wether I want to cover the wall my easels will be against in canvas, or a white blanket, but I personally use one of those two. I have used both in the past and they both worked equally great.

The canvas just has a bonus that it let's you paint on your wall when you feel like!!!

For my worktable, I got a second hand one (if you're renting, get it all second hand or free, and as cheap as possible. You never know when you'll move again or where your next studio will be or if you'll need these furniture pieces then. Get them cheap, then you won't feel bad about selling them cheap again before you move, and then you'll also have less things to move into your new house,)

My worktable is huge, and I picked one that has an under-shelf, as large as the work surface itself, which is 4 ft by 3 ft.

What this did is eliminated the need for another huge storage rack. I get to use the entire under table space. All of my clean canvases fit stacked underneath, and so do many of my paints.

And the edges of the table, have a gap, which I am using as a brush and knife holder! Around the perimeter of the WHOLE TABLE, I am fitting old recycled yogurt tubs, with metal wire.

I am using one of those quick dry super glues to glue the wire to the tubs.

The recycled yogurt tubs will hang side by side all along the edges of my table. So again, brush and knife storage, all of my brush and knife storage, without adding more shelving to the wall.

And the table has wheels, so it can stand anywhere in the room.

So; we've got the floors covered and protected, and the walls covered by fabric or bristol. So you're good in terms of coverage and now you can go crazy!

Since I believe you said you work in water media, I don't think smells would be an issue. My working with smelly gels and oils has become a problem here, and I posted a thread just now asking for help...so I can't help you there myself....... (as in worrying about harsh odours getting absorbed in the owner's carpets) but if you have any advice for me, please share!

To get more airflow, I had a ceiling fan installed in my last studio, which helped tremendously, and as for my studio easel...I built it recently out of scrap wood, and I designed it to be steady, yet the total floor space it takes up is only 90x40 cm width and depth. So really it is oretty thin for a studio easel yet can hold canvases any size and weight. It is in height, just enough to fit under a standard bedroom door.

It can tilt, and again, to save space, I am adding a huge taboret shelf to it, the length of 140 cm. So it is basically like a floating extra work table!

By putting wheels on it, I gave myself more flexibility. Having a dresser set against your protected wall, and leaning your canvas on top also worked for me quite well.

Once you have reviewed all the rental rules of the property, and what you are and aren't allowed to do, in 99 percent of places all problems are solved just by covering all the walls and floors of the room you'll be using with good, thick covers, that the paint won't soak through.

Covers for the walls and floor area of the room you will be painting in give you freedom. And then finding clever furniture ideas that are cheap, practical and work with your space.

I've spent most of my life living in rental properties, every place and landlord has their issues. But once you have a fabric or plastic cover for everything, you can go crazy and they can say nothing!

I was concerned like you when I first got into these rentals, but once you have the covers on the walls and floors, you're ok. And you can have complete freedom and no limitations. So happy painting!
And I hope I was able to be of some help!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 06:55 AM
NY

Hails from United States

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me all this great information!!
I'm making my move to the rental home next month and these ideas will really help me. I've been more concerned about my studio space then my bedroom or kitchen spaces! One good thing to come out of this move is, I've gone through all of my "art stuff" and gotten rid of a lot of things that I have used in years. I love to collect art supplies, but I end up with many items I never actually use. Since I'm a mixed media artist, I work in everything from watercolors, to acrylics to pastels, color pencils, digital media, collage, etc - so I end up having tons of supplies, which I love, but I have to get the mountain of stuff down to a reasonable pile. I like the idea about the PVC shower curtain, that's brilliant! I guess the media I work in that causes any real mess is soft pastel. The dust has to be controlled and not allowed to get all over the place, so I think the floor and wall coverings should really help with that.
Again, thanks for all this info, it's much appreciated!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 04:10 PM

Hi!!

You are so welcome!!!!!! I am so glad I could help!!!!

Ha ha, like you, my studio space concerns me much more than anything else either! So much that in this studio, my mom thought I was nuts.... but I don't even have a bed, and this is my room!

To make more room to paint, I sleep on a mattress on the floor that during the day I put up against the wall!!!!

I secure it to the wall with a tight rope stretched across the mattress attached to 2 screws in the wall. And I am going to put a curtain over the mattress when it stands up, to prevent any paint getting on it.

Best of luck with your move and I am so happy I was able to help!!!!!!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2012, 03:21 AM

Hello again! Just wanted to let you know quick, about the PVC curtain, I found recently that this particular plastic in these shower curtains, actually releases fumes into the air that are actually harmful to breath. Sometimes they smell and sometimes they don't, but either way it has been advised not to use them. Just in case, I wanted to let you know, and as I said, my blanket and roll of canvas are my second favourites, so these are certainly the ones I would NOW recommend, after hearing in quite a few places about this....

I wouldn't chance it....and I just wanted to let you know in case you are already starting to use it...

Hope your move is going well! And Happy Painting!