Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Golden Acrylics- Quin Crimson vs. Aliz. Crimson Hue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    oramasha

Has anyone used both paints? What is the main difference in use and handling between the two colors?

From what I can see the quin crimson is rosier and cleaner, and the aliz hue has a browner and possibly darker undertone.

I’ve only used quin crimson and was satisfied in how it mixed, but now I’m curious to see what I might be mixing with alizarin crimson hue. I’m usually leery of paint mixes with 3 paints in it. . . it usually means they make dirty mixes with other paints.

Any advice?

Pinguino

Not an acrylics user, but… If you don’t get a good response within a couple of days (at most), try asking at the acrylics forum. My observation has been than this color/mixing forum tends to be infested by oily types, such as myself.

Utter Guess: Your own observations probably say it all. The quin crimson is likely to provide the greatest mixing flexibility, at the expense of not resembling a color of nature. The alazarin hue is darker and browner, because it is intended to emulate the original color, which is likewise darker and browner. In terms of direct usage (rather than mixing) the alazarin hue might look better.

Patrick1

For those who haven’t compared these 2 colors in the flesh.

In the color samples below (the ones that show masstone, two levels of glaze dilution and two levels of tint), the Quinacridone Crimson looks lighter in masstone – but that is simply because it’s applied less thickly. If you compare them at equal, very thick application, they are similar in darkness once dried. (I know you asked about undertone).

I compared Golden Alizarin Crimson Hue side-by-side with my W&N Artists’ PR83, and it’s a good match. Golden did their homework.

oramasha

Thank you for your thoughts, Pinguino. I ended up going with the familiar — quinacridone crimson at the last minute. But, I’m going to try aliz crimson hue, too at some point.

Pat, thanks for taking the time and effort to post those comparisons! I probably should have gone with the darker choice, and to just try something new.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.