Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Lyric in Contemplation

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    MarcF

This is my first ever oil painting. In fact, it’s my first real painting of any kind. I have my own thoughts about it – overall I’m pleased. Very. But I ran into things that really tested my patience and perseverance.
        This is a portrait of my new young friend. I had just spend an hour with him teaching him the basics of chess. Then we started a game and made several moves. I snapped this pic at just the right moment.

Lyric in Contemplation
        Oil on 16×20 Canvas Board

EDIT
        will post the painting tomorrow – I’m a new member and have been advised (or reminded actually) you’re only allowed 1 painting every 24 hours and I already posted my RBG Action Figure painting. Check it out!

:confused: you can certainly post your painting here, now. Did you get a site message?

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
        Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

MarcF

No, but what happened is, I posted 2 in the colored pencil forum, and got a msg from an admin – not a nasty one at all – about the 24 hour rule (per forum) so I came to this forum and took down one of my 2. But no site msg from the oil paint admin, so maybe I’ll post it now and see what happens.

MarcF

Here is my first oil painting ever – Lyric in Contemplation.
                And his hair IS blue on top, in case you were wondering.

bhindi

You are very talented. This is an excellent first painting. :)

MarcF

why, thank you so much!

That’s a cool painting, very narrative!

Yes, there is technically a “one painting in 24 hours per forum” etiquette thing, I didn’t realize you posted the other here in oils too. Other WC forums have more of an issue with people flooding the front page with a ton of paintings. It doesn’t usually happen here.

If you have a bunch of paintings you want to share you could also put them all in one thread.

Thanks for sharing your work! :wave:

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                        Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Dcam

You certainly have the potential to keep going and get better and better.
                            This is nice. Creative subject and compositon.

Raffless

a4 in the opening??

Interesting composition, but i’m a sucker for chess paintings.

MarcF

a4 in the opening??

Interesting composition, but i’m a sucker for chess paintings.

Yeah I taught him the rules and moves of the pieces but didn’t trouble him about opening theory (he’s 9 in case I didn’t mention it). So after the lesson I said so let’s start a game and he drew white. So he moved a4 and I decided not to hassle him except to point out the center squares are really important, and I moved NF6, he correctly played NF3 and then I took the picture.

Since you like chess paintings (me too) check out this drawing I did.
                                    The position is from 14 yr old Bobby Fischer’s “Game of the Century” against Grandmaster Robert Byrne. It’s kind of dark – looks better in person I guess.

Raffless

Yeah I taught him the rules and moves of the pieces but didn’t trouble him about opening theory (he’s 9 in case I didn’t mention it). So after the lesson I said so let’s start a game and he drew white. So he moved a4 and I decided not to hassle him except to point out the center squares are really important, and I moved NF6, he correctly played NF3 and then I took the picture.

Since you like chess paintings (me too) check out this drawing I did.
                                        The position is from 14 yr old Bobby Fischer’s “Game of the Century” against Grandmaster Robert Byrne. It’s kind of dark – looks better in person I guess.
                                        [IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/03-Jan-2019/2131055-3F6998DE-11B3-42F7-B62C-0856DD83F180.jpeg[/IMG]

I know the game you painted well. I really like your take on it especially the 3d shadowing. I must do a chess painting now you’ve put me in the mood :)

Ps. I just this month enquired with Sam Shankland(US chess champion) for private lessons for my son. He said hes happy to teach him at 200 dollars an hour. (Ahem). I think i will do a couple. John Bartholomew 150. Its worth it i know but maybe too much.

Ju-Ju-Beads

Well done, Marc! Regardless of the game, you’ve made an excellent opening into the world of oils 😁

dcaron

chess mate in four moves :)

Art is not what you see, but what you make others see. - Edgar Degas
                                                http://www.dianecaron.com
                                                my DA site: http://dcaron.deviantart.com/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.