Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Library Oil Pastel Challenges Oil Pastel challenge and chat for April 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Rich A

April is here! I’ll host this months challenge. About half of these photos are from my vacation to Kauai Hawaii in Nov. 2016. The others are from RIL here on Wetcanvas. I think I got a good mix here for you all.

When posting your work, if you can remember to include size, paper and op brand that was used, that is most helpful. Have fun and can’t wait to see what you all create! :clap: :clap:

Rich A

more pics

Rich A

some more…

Thanks for a great selection of references to choose from and thanks for hosting, Rich!

Christel

Rich A

Here’s the first one. 12×16 inches senns/mungyos on clairefontaine pastelmat. I took the ref pic, and I believe its a beach in the town of Kapaa on the east side of the island.

Beautiful! Love the colors in the sea.

Christel

Rich A

Thanks Christel! I used ice blue, prussian blue, medium grey, light grey, titanium white and a turquoise for the water

Rich A

Here’s my next one. 12×16 inches senns/mungyos on claire fontaine pastelmat.

Wow! Love it!

Christel

terriks

Hi Rich – first, thanks for posting so many lovely images this month! :thumbsup:

I really love your swing. I like your decision to remove the part of the beach behind the swing, and letting it stand out against the ocean. It’s little things like this that help me along. That’s an interesting thin yellow line along the horizon between sea and sky – excellent separation.

I’m really loving your palette in the second one – it has taken on quite a surreal effect, with the shape of the center tree and those great leading lines guiding the eye to it.

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Rich A

Thanks Christel!

Terri – Thank you! I wanted to improve upon the photo with the swing pic. What I thought I was capturing when I took the pic was different than how the photo came out. So I figured a bit of composition change and perspective, plus add in color would make a more interesting scene.

The ducks: A3. The reeds were challenging.

Christel

terriks

Thanks Christel!

Terri – Thank you! I wanted to improve upon the photo with the swing pic. What I thought I was capturing when I took the pic was different than how the photo came out. So I figured a bit of composition change and perspective, plus add in color would make a more interesting scene.

I think you did end up with a more visually interesting painting than the photo offered. It was precisely this photo/painting combo that made me realize I coulda/shoulda left out the rock near the figure in my own recent painting. It’s great help to see how others interpret their ref images (I know, I’m a broken record!) But, we’ve all commented on the real lack of tutorials and info regarding OP’s out there, so things I learn here are a real gold mine of info.

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

terriks

Christel, you did a fantastic job with the reeds! They are very sharp, and your coloring is perfect. The shadows in the water are excellent, too.

On my laptop, the water looks a little dark in the upper part of the painting, but that’s likely on my end. Overall, this is a beautiful rendition of the cute little guys. :)

Terri

Thanks Terri.

Christel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.