Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Dowling Corn Crib

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Joel L

16 in x 12 in on watercolor paper.

Commissioned pen and ink drawing. The reference photo that I was given was taken while it was being torn down and in the fall. Most of the roof was gone, the trees were bare and there wasn’t a side space with tractor. Except for the front of the corn crib, side in sunlight, and the bare trees I added everything else using an aerial photo. The client was delighted so I guess I am too. Lettering is not one of my strengths. :)

Comments are welcomed!

Shaks

Very nice. I really love how you did the tree foliage!

Cheryl

Joel L

Thank you, Cheryl! I think the tree (leaves) took the most time.

I like the light and the tone work Joel.
                The building is really well drawn, good portrayal of textures …. the foliage is superb!
                Not surprised it was well received!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Joel L

Hi Maureen! Thank you! I think, from a reality sense, i could have taken the facing face of the corn crib a little darker, but I think form drawing sense, I needed to stop a little lighter. I don’t know. This seemed fine to me. The overall work isn’t too real or too moody. Kind of a good mood image, I think.

Bill

Joel, having lived on various farms for most of my youth, I find this drawing very nostalgic. Love seeing farm scenes and this one is excellently drawn.
                        Bill

Be kinder than necessary

Joel L

Hi Bill! Thank you! It wasn’t my first shot at it. I started it in early June and towards the end of the June, the client wanted to know how it was going. So I sent him this photo. Unfortunately, I was missing the side dormer. So I started over.

In an aerial photo of the farm…

It looked to me like the elevator dropped into the top. The odd shadow under the elevator, I thought, was a sheet of plywood protecting the roof from the shaking of the elevator. So I thought… That’s how we did it.

Oh well. It was fun to do. And I was only a month late with it.

Triduana

I really like this, lots of lovely detail and texture. The tree is superb and I really like the tractor in the shadows too.

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

oldey

Great subject and excellent work. The shadows are especially nice!

Joel L

Thank you, Kay and oldey! I love doing shadows and trees. The compression makes the tractor look like it has an odd halo and strange light spots. But it does look mostly like this. I wanted to be able to see it just enough to tell it was a tractor. I think the face of the crib could have been a tad bit darker, but I didn’t want it to go too far so I stopped a little shy.

MagdaleneL

I haven’t been here in ages, so it is so nice to come for a visit and the first thing I see is one of your beautiful well done sketches Joel. Thanks for sharing it with us :)

cwilliamson

Amazing, I’d never have the patience for it. I bow to your skill and patience. It reminds me of my uncle’s farm.

Clark

Joel L

Thank you, MagdaleneL, Robert, and Clark! I appreciate it! I never really notice the patience needed. Which, now that I think about it, seems odd. I would think I would.

The fuel barrow on the very far right takes me home. I remember filling the tractors under/beside the one we had.

Wow! Such a beautiful outcome! I’ve taken many photos of old buildings over my life hoping to draw them someday but they always appear ugly. You took a fairly ugly building and gave it grace and character!

Sheila

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
                                                    -Helen Keller
                                                    The question is not what you look at, but what you see.
                                                    -Henry David Thoreau

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.