WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#496   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Denver-metro Colorado

Hails from United States
Re: PANPASTEL SHOW AND TELL--instructions and inspiration

I have posted this in the regular Pastel Studio, but this should bump our Show&Tell page up I seem to have accidentally been doing a wildlife/zoo baby series. I must say, it has been terrific fun and I may have to keep it up for a bit, maybe. Just fell in love with this little guy in a wonderful photo by Rodney Campbell/PMP - with permission. Changed the angles a bit and the color palette and hoping it worked.
"Schlurp"
PanPastel and pastel pencil on AS Colorfix Suede, approx. 9x12"
  #497   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2014, 09:02 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oh fun! Love those eyes and that pointed black tongue. Beautiful painting!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #498   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Denver-metro Colorado

Hails from United States

Robert, thank you! I always love the flirty, long-lashed eyes on these beautiful creatures.
  #499   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Western MA

Hails from United States

This is a very long thread, so I hope it isn't troublesome to ask a question if it's already been answered.
How do you do plein air with Pan Pastels. The 20 trays seem too fragile to take into the field. Has anyone come up with a "box" to fit them. And the utensils. Thank you.
  #500   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2014, 07:34 AM

I Love It.
  #501   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Denver-metro Colorado

Hails from United States

Linda, Thank you! Very much appreciated.
SAS Designs, I have not done plein air with the pans personally, however, I would suggest that you set up a tray with only the color palette that you would normally use for landscapes. I assume this would be less than 10? I know they do sell them in different sets for different purposes; i.e., landscape, portrait, etc. In that manner you are only taking the necessary hues along with you.
Then hopefully, you would be able to arrange your travel pack with enough cushion to keep sharp impacts to a minimum.
Maybe Robert will pop in or one of the others that actually do this and could let you know what palette they take and how they pack them, better than I.
  #502   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

Really cute animals linettalee.

I have not done much with pastels recently, preferring coloured pencil for the last couple of pieces that I have done. But this was done with Pans and CP. 14X17 inches on Strathmore medium drawing paper (not my usual Stonehenge).

Aint nothing illegal til you get caught - Tickle
My RIL Photos Discoveries With Color My Photos
  #503   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2014, 07:44 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Carol, that is so beautiful. Lovely combination using Pans with coloured pencil. I've never tried that and it's a great idea. I've used pastel pencils with them and had fun, but I can see how the CP details enhance those soft Pans transitions. Lovely work. I like the soft distant transition at the far edge of the table too, that's great. It has its own gentle atmosphere.

SASdesigns, my plein air kit is 10 Painters Colors pulled out of my full range set, plus 5 Tints and 5 Deep Dark Shades also pulled out of my full range set. I put these in two 10 color trays. It works great. The 10 color trays are a much smaller thing to carry.

If I'm going out "pockets only" using them in a pocket journal, I pull those 20 pans out of the trays and screw them into two 10 color stacks to put in different pockets, with the slightly taller Sponges empty jars screwed to the bottom to hold sponges. I prefer sponges and small applicators to knives so this suits me well though I could easily put sponge socks in the jars and naked knives in my pockets too.

They're pretty convenient either way. I got used to using them without trays so doing the pockets version isn't too bad. That's also if I wanted to do a small palette like a Zorn - black, white, yellow ochre and the iron oxide red would be a four color Zorn palette in Pans and be really neat for a plein air landscape. Or substitute Paynes Gray for it (the original dark Paynes Gray) so that it's bluer for that muted Zorn-like palette.

What I like best about them for plein air though is the no liquids, not needing a lot of colors, mixing like paint but very compact way they handle. I paint, I put it away, it's good. Surfaces can be anything including sketchbooks since I like them on plain paper, or pieces of Pastelmat cut to size for small paintings.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 02-13-2014 at 07:47 PM.
  #504   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Denver-metro Colorado

Hails from United States

Carol, love the gooseberries, I have never seen them in real life. The leaves look so light and delicate and the color of the berries is luscious (have never tasted them either). The glass is beautiful and I like the simple background that somehow looks like so much more.
Robert Glad to see you and thank you for explaining your plein air method, someday I may give it a try after all - - maybe ...
  #505   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2014, 07:34 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

That's what those are? Wow! Gooseberries are something I read about in books and articles and didn't know what they looked like too. Gorgeous berries. I wasn't sure what they were but they looked interesting and lovely. Thanks for the identification!

I also sometimes use the plein air palette for sick day palette or lazy day or don't have space to spread out day. It's just handy using those colors. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy using all the colors, just that I'm frustrated at not having a large table any more to spread out everything I have.

#506   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2014, 02:48 AM
Litchfield County, CT

Hails from United States

This artist does incredible things with PanPastel. Wish she would make videos or write a book!
http://alexlouisa.com/blog/
She gets amazing detail.
You can also find her work on Instagram. Use #alexlouisa_ or search Alex Louisa.
I have a full set of pans and tools but they sit waiting for me to discover a resourse of instruction to get me started. 🌝
Suni
  #507   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2014, 04:05 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Go to the old Pan Pastels thread and read it through completely. That is the best resource on using Pan Pastels I have ever found, also the site itself has lots and lots of demos. The old thread link is on the first page of this thread. It went amazingly long and there are so many demos in it that I can't count them, also discoveries at every turn.

Also, try just sketching with them. I use the Deep Dark Shades as sketch colors like sketch sticks or Conte crayons, with the small tip tool or a sponge, but my favorites are the wedge sponge and the small tip tool. A normal sketchbook paper's slightly rough tooth works really well for drawing thinly with that tool and shading by tone, especially Deep Dark Ultramarine or violet or Payne's grey as a sketch color. Then either build up from those deep darks with full tone and light colors, or work on Pastelmat from the sketch and start from a dark or black sketch.

Deep dark Violet Shade would be really good to sketch in a landscape, because it puts deep violet in as the base of all your shadows and unifies the painting. Bring in the greens and other colors over it, make sure to use some orange variations and anything orangy. The Shades of the different yellows make gorgeous muted warm leaf greens but you can see that. Main thing is load your sponge tool just about every stroke, especially on later strokes if you don't want to lift earlier color.

In the sketching, I load the tool and then start from a deep dark stroke to work lighter and lighter getting tones out of wearing it off the tool. I sometimes do this on light or white surfaces in middle layers too, it's only last layering that I'll load and dab. I developed that technique out of years of graphite sketching going lighter and lighter for tones. Colourfix paper is good for it but my top favorite is Pastelmat or Colourfix Suede if I'm not just doing plain paper. Color doesn't move once it's laid down until there's a lot of it there, which I got used to fast. But it can be easily erased if I want changes. I liked that about Pastelmat for being able to put light over dark like stick pastels.

#508   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2014, 03:10 AM
Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Hi there,
I bought a portrait set of PanPastels last summer, but I never really got the hang out of it. No matter how hard I try my paintings always turn out to be a big mess with the colours all smudge and dirty. I use the sofft tools, but I am also having a hard time with them since they are breaking quite fast, even thought I am using them on a paper without a lot of tooth. I am just really frustrated about them and I do not really know how to start painting with them.
  #509   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2014, 02:35 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Linda, has reminded me about this thread, I'd forgotten all about it, sorry!
When I first began using the basic set of Pans, I struggled with them. I think it was the idea of using the sponges with them after using soft pastel sticks, for so many years. I just couldn't come to terms with using the Pans with the sponges, which is more like using a paintbrush with another medium.

Now, I decided to give them a really good, in depth, try out, and I'm delighted at the effects I'm beginning to achieve with them. I first only used them for blocking-in, and have progressed to doing a complete painting with them.

This PanPastel Painting is the first that I've used the Pans for the whole painting and I am happy with the result.

xposted from the Floral & Botanical Forum - March Plant Parade.
20cm x 25cm - PanPastels on Mi-Teintes pale pink paper

C & C's welcome
Looking forward to seeing more activity in this thread.

Moderator; Animal & Wildlife Forum and Florals & Botanical Forum
  #510   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Denver-metro Colorado

Hails from United States

Viv, I love the softness of this piece. The leaves look so real, like those fuzzy type on the succulent plants and the dusty tone of green is perfect. Glad to see you here, keep showing us your Pans!