WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which three watercolour papers do you prefer?
Ampersand 9 2.98%
Arches 223 73.84%
Bockingford 27 8.94%
Canson Montval 23 7.62%
Cotman 3 0.99%
Fabriano 132 43.71%
Kilimanjaro 26 8.61%
Lanaquarelle 21 6.95%
Magnani 1 0.33%
Richeson 4 1.32%
Saunders Waterford 78 25.83%
Strathmore 43 14.24%
Twinrocker 10 3.31%
Velke Losiny 2 0.66%
Winsor Newton 18 5.96%
Yupo 15 4.97%
Other 31 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#106   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2014, 07:38 PM

Re: Watercolour paper poll

Being a very loose painter who tends to change direction mid painting at whim, and exploring full range of effects and surprises, my choices wont apply to all, most especially those faint of heart. Certainly not for those who aren't ready to toss out 'this try' and start over!

Artist quality papers Fabriano soft press. Hot press never seems to give me enough surprises, rough is fun but fights me for texture. Canson 100,-- 2 different textured sides.

I also love dearly student grade papers of canson montval, and now Richeson Studio and grab for those as often as my other papers. LOVE Nujabji extra rough, looks like leather,--must be treated before painting on as it is waaaay too absorbent.

Never had luck with Saunders Waterford/Kilimanjaro as they suck the paint in and I cant make as many changes. Strathmore Aquarius synthetic blend is lovely--I can leave a painting for months, and still move the paint around when I get back to it.

I do preliminary sketches with water soluble ink and I need it to wash away when I hit it with water.

I like sizing and absorbency resistance to the point of treating my paper with a mixture of acrylic medium and watercolor ground at times. Interestingly, I find that the newer Golden Matte Fluid acrylics makes an acceptable ground for watercolors. The Matte finish has removed the plastic-y smoothness and it works more like a watercolor ground. I sound like I would love Yupo, but I don't, it's unable to be anything other than what it is,--slippery ALL the time.

A word on student grade papers above,--fantastic, but methodology is different, because they are more easily scarred, lifting is done by wetting and blotting, or light pouncing and blotting. You certainly can scrub to lift, but only once or twice before the paper pills.

all of the above: just the way I do it for fun (and profit), fully realize most people don't like this method!