Home Forums The Learning Center Student’s Dorm Famous Artists School–is it worth it?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Joy M.

Hello,

I don’t post very often, but I thought I could get some advice on this art course. I’ve done a little research on it, and it seems like a good course. I’ve heard that their curriculum is excellent.
        My question is, would I be better off simply buying the curriculum, or taking the course (which is a bit pricey)? I realize there might not be an easy answer to that. :)
        I’m primarily self-taught, and not set on a degree of any sort–just wanting to round myself out as an artist and fill in some of the holes in my art education.
        Suggestions are very welcome!

[FONT=Garamond]The heavens declare the glory of God: and the firmament showeth his handywork. ~ Psalm 19:1
        cajunRice

Go to: http://improvemypaintings.com/RecordedClasses.html
            On the left, click “buy Recorded Classes” You will see a list of the videos of his past classes and they are CHEAP for the knowledge value and a must to understand why some artist get the prices for their paintings. He is a teachaholic. He is the best! Also, look for “Register for New Course: “Painting snow and grass.” Also, don’t miss his free live, in his home, 6 hr class this Sun, the 15th. It is FREE and you can see why so many of us LOVE his teaching. On WC, look under The Learning Center and click on “Partner: Wet Canvas Live”, then click on Johannes Vloothuis. There you will see what so many people think of him.
            Good Luck, you’re in for a treat!

Ginger

Joy M.

Thanks very much for your input. His stuff looks good!The only ‘objection’ (which is a poorly chosen word) I have with it, is that he seems to deal primarily with landscapes, and I’m looking for something a bit more comprehensive. Still, a good price indeed! I shall look into it more. :)
                Thanks again!

[FONT=Garamond]The heavens declare the glory of God: and the firmament showeth his handywork. ~ Psalm 19:1
                cajunRice

I’m not very good at explaining things, but this I can tell you. I have been in every class from the begining in Dec 2010, and how (very important) he teaches goes far beyond landscapes and covers all mediums. If you understand light, HOW the eye sees, and how to put music in your art, you will be far more able to paint well, anything you want. What he teaches is not taught anywhere else.

Ginger

Joy M.

I see..his instruction goes beyond the subject of landscapes because it is foundational to art as a whole. Thanks, that makes sense.

kateo

Did anyone actually answer your question? I was waiting for one.

www.kateowensstudio.com
                            T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L

Joy M.

I’m afraid not. I did some searching and found a site that does product reviews, and among them is a section on painting courses–which includes the FAS courses.
                                I’m still hoping someone might chime in with their personal experience with the school.

AnieWade

Hello,

I don’t post very often, but I thought I could get some advice on this art course[URL=http://www.famous-artists-school.com/index.php/fas/courses/][/URL]. I’ve done a little research on it, and it seems like a good course. I’ve heard that their curriculum is excellent.
                                    My question is, would I be better off simply buying the curriculum, or taking the course (which is a bit pricey)? I realize there might not be an easy answer to that. :)
                                    I’m primarily self-taught, and not set on a degree of any sort–just wanting to round myself out as an artist and fill in some of the holes in my art education.
                                    Suggestions are very welcome!

It would be all worth it knowing that it is something you love to do. If your true passion lies in it, then there’s no reason for you to doubt on anything.

Joy M.

Thanks for your input, AnieWade. :) I’m saving up for the course.

Old_hobbyest

FAS has been around for a long time. I took the full-boat course more than 40 years ago, when the assignments were mailed to me, I sent the completed assignment by mail, and received the critique by mail. Was the 2-3 yr effort worthwhile? I doubt it, timewise and moneywise. Nothing beats being face-to-face with a real person, leading you, hands-on, so to speak.

It is my belief that the best way to learn is to practice, practice, practice. Having said that, my library bulges with ‘how-to-paint’ this and that and my local library is forever complaining when I ask for library loans of ‘how-to’ DVDs.

Before you decide, check into http://www.virtualartacademy.com. You might find a different approach to painting. If I wasn’t so damned old, I’d opt for the extended, 3-yr course.

maryinasia

My sister took this course about 40 years ago, and found it very beneficial.

Gardavkra

I took a similar course when I was in junior high school. It was called Art Instruction Schools. It may even be the same company but, with a different name now. This was in the early seventies. As I remember, one of their famous graduates was Charles Shultz that did the Peanuts comic strip. You know, Charlie Brown.

Anyway, it was a two year home study program. It was mostly focused on commercial art, from what I can remember but, it was a good course. It gave me a boost going into high school and college. I finished the course and graduated. I still have the diploma in a frame. :)

You can't put art in a box.
                                                    www.gdkrause.artspan.com

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                                  • The topic ‘Famous Artists School–is it worth it?’ is closed to new replies.