WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 01:35 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States
Acrylic landscape-color harmony question

I've been fussing with this painting off and on for about a month and I believe it needs fresh eyes. I'm wondering if the temperature transition works, and whether or not the painting is (color) harmonious. Any other comments or suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Elizabeth

By the way, it is an acrylic painting, 9" x 12" on watercolor paper.

My Website: www.CrabtreeOriginals.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Immortalized
Maryland, USA

Re: Acrylic landscape-color harmony question

I like it!

I'm no expert on color harmony, but this painting has a cool, misty feeling to it, as if it had rained recently. Nice trees and texture.

Still much to paint and much to learn!
My Blog My Print Gallery
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Roanoke VA

Hails from United States

Elizabeth, for me the painting is harmonious and color recession is correct and well handled.

I'm confused about the lighting. Is the day overcast? If so, why the dark shadows modeling the tree on the right? If it's not overcast, why not similar shadows on the other trees?

The painting does not "read" well for me. The dark verticals on the tree on the right (and none on the tree next to it) serve as a frame that keeps my vision in the right sixth of the painting.

I assume you wanted a painting of an overcast/slightly foggy day. If so, I would key up the values in the darkest darks and key down the values in some of the other midtone darks. Were it my painting, I would make some minor changes, lightening the right tree and darkening the others, and doing a liittle more value contrast close up:

That being said, you've done a great job simplifying a forest tangle and I like the painting, a lot.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 07:24 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Nashville, TN USA

Hails from United States

Love this...very well done.

-"Bear Claw" Chris Lapp
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 08:16 PM
West Virginia

Hails from United States

I think it looks great. I didnt notice the tree shadow until it was brought up. overall, very good.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2012, 09:42 PM
WC! Guide
Peoria, Illinois

Hails from United States

I think it has many nice things in it, and you've handled a very complicated scene well! The color transition works for me- some darks in the lower left corner foreground might increase interest and depth- just a thought.

www.KenTiessenArt.com
All Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2012, 05:05 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Matthew - thank you for your comment. I got that after rain feeling too with this and even thought for a bit to try and make it raining in the painting. I still might!

Bill - Your question about whether or not the day is overcast...well...it is now, but I've changed the sky and it's effects several times over the course of the painting. I will revisit the lighting on the trees though I believe some of the problem you describe is because of the glare on the photo of the painting. All the trees, to some degree, are darker on their right sides as the light is coming from the left but I tried to lessen the contrast on the two in the midground and heighten it for the two foreground trees. Even having said all that, I will take your observations to heart and so much appreciate your advise.

Brookstream & Keith- Thanks so much for your kind compliments!

Ken - I will consider adding some darker values to the left corner. I agree that this painting could stand some additional interest. I'm glad you feel the color transition(s) are working. Thank you for taking a look at this painting and for adding your thoughts.

Elizabeth

My Website: www.CrabtreeOriginals.com
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:08 AM
Solvang,California USA

Hails from United States

Hi Elizabeth,
I think the color harmony works fine. Your warm/cool transitions also work. Minor things in the foreground could be fixed easily. I'd work on slightly stronger darks and stronger colors (intensity) in the immediate foreground to help seperate that from the midground. Good work.
Ron
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2012, 01:27 PM

Hails from United States

I really like the cool and calming aspect of the painting. The only thing that I wonder about is, the leaves on the trees on the right seem all too light. Maybe some of them could be darker.