Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Anybody tried the newish Sennelier Rive Gauche oils?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    AnnieA

They’re cadmium-free and the colors are said to dry twice as fast and be especially rich and luminous. They’re ground in safflower- at least that’s what the review linked below says; the Sennelier site is less clear.

Here is info from the Semester site:
        http://www.sennelier-colors.com/en/Rive-gauche_78.html
        (Note: if you’re using a small screen, it may appear that you’re caught in a loop, but just scroll down)
        And here’s the review I found:
        http://www.painters-online.co.uk/techniques-and-tips/view,sennelier-rive-gauche-a-new-class-of-oil-paint-with-max-hale_1luminous

I’ve seen the brochure and it looks like they’ve used some pigments w/o C. I. numbers, which is surprising, although they do list them for the rmajority. The prices I saw were very good – roughly 4.50 for a 40ml tube. It could be an introductory price.

I almost purchased several tubes but held off until I have more info. So, has anyone here tried them? Thoughts?

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
        [FONT=Palatino]
        “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

AnnieA

Damn spellchecker! That’s RIVE Gauche!

[FONT=Palatino]
            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Don Ketchek

When I go to the page, my “Tab” in Firefox says “Etude Oil” which would confirm my suspicion that these are student grade. The fact that they say they dry twice as fast makes me wonder if they are Alkyd paints or are loaded with driers. Just my speculation.

Don

AnnieA

Yeah, I noticed that title saying “Etude Oils” too. But I think the Etudes are a separate line. In the menu at the top, it lists “Artist Oils,” “fine oils Rive Gauche,” although the Etudes are’t on the list, so who knows. I also wondered about whether they might include alkyd, but I also wondered if the oil might be treated, for example by water-washing or some other process that both speeds drying and reduces yellowing. I wish Sennelier would be more transparent.

[FONT=Palatino]

Gigalot

I preferred oil paints if they can dry twice slower than regular oil paints. China Maries are one of them. They can stay workable on palette twice longer and they can give me more time to detailed work on canvases surface. Slowly drying paint I love most of all, Cobalt drier I hate most of all. Hope, my paint do not contains industrial cobalt dries because several repetitive scandals with Chinese products helps to remove Cobalt drier as it is listed as a “toxic” human carcinogen. :clap: But I hate cobalt drier not because of toxicity, but because it turn workable paint to sticky crap while it’s hard drying potential are not effective. Oil paint just quickly forms soft sticky gel, but this gel do not dries during decades.

Delofasht

While generally Sennelier makes a good product, their marketing toward artists is archaic. They do tend to quickly jump into using new materials before other companies though, and make those available to artists though, which is good because far too many companies are so conservative as to completely avoid pigments and products with an already known quality.

I recall a few years ago I approached two companies about making a few colors of specific pigments that were available in some brands that use some ingredients I prefer not to use. The companies I contacted made a few new colors just this past year and I have been happily utilizing them now, but they were reluctant to say they would add any colors at the time I had contacted them. I was extremely excited when they removed my need to keep making the paint for myself by hand (and they make a better quality product than I was capable of as well). At least Sennelier is ahead of the curve though, but I do wish they would release more information on their products. I assume they are under NDA of some kind with the manufacturer of the pigments, solvents, or oils they are including though. (Such agreements are not unheard of, and I have myself been asked to apply such agreements for work produced in the past).

- Delo Delofasht
                            Don Ketchek

Yeah, I noticed that title saying “Etude Oils” too. But I think the Etudes are a separate line. In the menu at the top, it lists “Artist Oils,” “fine oils Rive Gauche,” although the Etudes are’t on the list, so who knows. I also wondered about whether they might include alkyd, but I also wondered if the oil might be treated, for example by water-washing or some other process that both speeds drying and reduces yellowing. I wish Sennelier would be more transparent.

It seems like Sennelier no longer makes Etude oils and when I search for Etude oils I get the Sennelier page for the new Rive Gauche oils:

http://www.sennelier-colors.com/en/Etude-oil_9.html

So my guess is that they have expanded the Etude Student grade line to 60 colors (from 36) and have renamed them. Just a guess, but since most paint companies sell an artist grade and a student grade, this would fit that pattern.

I haven’t compared the price – which is usually the obvious giveaway when a line is student grade.

Don

AnnieA

Thanks to all of you for the excellent feedback…

Alex, for the most part, I’m with you about wanting a slower drying time. But I thought there might be times when a faster drying time might prove useful, as for an underpainting in oils or for a one-shot figure painting session, and anyway, I suppose by using walnut oil the dry time might be extended. It seems unlikely that Sennelier would use a toxic additive such as cobalt if one of the main selling points is that these paints are cadmium free. But without specific details from the company, I guess we can’t know for sure.

Delo, I love the color palette of Sennelier oil pastels, which is very painterly, so that’s one reason I was intrigued by the several new paints without C.I numbers in this line – although also wary. Those also tended to have no info about lightfastness, so I suppose it’s better to wait and see. Can you tell me what paints that you requested were manufactured and by which company? Sounds interesting…

Don, from what you say, you’re probably right about these being a replacement for the Etudes. But they don’t seem to be marketing them as student grade, and some of the info in the review I linked sounded as if they are superior to the typical student paint. Hard to know at this point, I guess. The price I saw was very low but as I mentioned may have been an introductory price. And avoiding the use of cadmium may keep the price lower anyway. I know Liquitex has a line of acrylic non-cadmium replacements that tends to be a little lower in price.

I somehow have the impression that the company in general does business primarily in French; for a long time their website didn’t offer an English version. Perhaps an approach by an actual French person would be more fruitful. Just throwing the idea out there…

[FONT=Palatino]

Don Ketchek

Don, from what you say, you’re probably right about these being a replacement for the Etudes. But they don’t seem to be marketing them as student grade, and some of the info in the review I linked sounded as if they are superior to the typical student paint.

They may well indeed. Since Artist Grade and Student Grade are purely marketing terms and there is no official distinction that separates the two. So they may well be “higher end” student grade, or “lower end” artist grade, so to speak! As is usually the case, categories are limiting and don’t necessarily tell the story. If the paints do the job, it doesn’t really matter what category they are in.

Don

If I don’t know what’s in the tube, I don’t buy it. When I grind paints, my formulas are always written on the tubes. Complete formula : pigment, extender, additives, binding medium, etc.

I’m new to this forum, which I’ve found to be a very useful source of information. Thank you!

I did some digging into the Rive gauche line shorly after they were introduced and two important points stuck out for me. Sennelier makes a distinction between “extra-fine,” which is their highest quality of oil paint, and “fine,” which is a step down from their best product. You’ve already mentioned that Rive gauche is being marketed as “fine.” Secondly, you’ll find that if you download the color chart for RG, ALL colors are listed as being OPAQUE. For this reason alone, along with the “secret” recipe that alledgedly allows these colors to dry quicker than normal oils, I declined. Why would I want to use an Ultramarine blue that isn’t transparent?

Life is but a Dream

Gigalot

If I don’t know what’s in the tube, I don’t buy it. When I grind paints, my formulas are always written on the tubes. Complete formula : pigment, extender, additives, binding medium, etc.

:thumbsup:
                                            I like when additives are disclosed, just percentage of ingredients is a trade secret, but not components.

Don Ketchek

…you’ll find that if you download the color chart for RG, ALL colors are listed as being OPAQUE. For this reason alone, along with the “secret” recipe that alledgedly allows these colors to dry quicker than normal oils, I declined. Why would I want to use an Ultramarine blue that isn’t transparent?

Actually, 52 Opaque, 6 semi-opaque and 2 transparent (Lemon Yellow, Indian Yellow).

http://www.sennelier-colors.com/article/photo/dossier502/RIVE-GAUCHE-COLORCHART-NUANCIER

Don

p_nathan

If they are 50% faster drying than linseed, but ground in safflower, they must have a pretty powerfully configured drying mechanism. That is how the chemistry works…

Absent a direct chemistry test, I would find the pigments that are chemically known to be affected by driers the most (white?) and paint out a set of test strips, including a particularly thick application. Compare with an off the shelf white and a hand-ground white with similar applications.

My hypothesis is that discoloration and cracking are not unlikely (safflower dries sloooow naturally, so there’s a pretty powerful effect occurring here!).

hobbyist in oil.

a. ladd

Pros:
                                                        -The colors are rich, smooth and brilliant – (certainly not a dull or gritty student grade).
                                                        -No chemical or alkyd drier-type smells (let alone any strong “oil smell” from their safflower binder)
                                                        – Dries fast, brilliant and satin, as advertised (T. White and B Umber seem slower to me, so far)
                                                        – Cad subtitutes seem nice enough (Liquitex Acrylics are also touting their own effective cad substitutes – so maybe these are simply a new, uncataloged family of pigments)
                                                        – The line also offers a bigger variety of blues that you don’t often see at these prices, (like genuine Prussian, Anthraquinone, and 2 kinds of Ultramarine).
                                                        -Current discount pricing is unbelievable, considering the quality and pigmentation. I can’t imagine much competition at these prices.

Cons:
                                                        – Some paints will come separated out of tube – (No problem for me, as I usually squeeze most oils out on cardboard first.)
                                                        – At these prices, no real cadmiums, cobalts or ceruleans offered.
                                                        – Sennelier not forthcoming on what’s in their new Cad Substitutes.
                                                        – Sennelier not forthcoming on how they’re made to dry faster.
                                                        – Harder to find Sennelier products at most local and US stores.

Sad But True: Teenyboppers overheard at a bookstore Art Section, "Look at that book, just like the toothpaste...REMBRANDT!"
                                                        ----------------

[FONT=Arial]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.