Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Adding coats to pre-gessoed canvas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Toril

I know many add one or more layers of gesso to pre-gessoed commercial canvases – some because they don’t feel there is enough on it/too absorbent, some because they want a more smooth surface.

Is it necessary? If I feel the surface is smooth enough?

Also, if I wanted to add a coat of something to make it smoother or less absorbent, could it just as well be a toned coat of thinned oil paint instead of gesso?

My problem is that the smell of acrylic paints – alkyds? – and gesso make me queasy and give me a headache.

Anonymous

absolutely, more coats of gesso will make the surface more absorbent, not less, but a bit of preconditioning medium will make it less absorbent. in fact, it is a best practice to do that instead of starting a painting on bone dry gesso.

snoball

I add a coat or two if I want less of the canvas weave to show in the painting but if that is not an issue I hold the back of the canvas up to the light and if there are pinholes of light showing I give it a coat to fill those. Most good canvases are well enough coated to begin with.

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
                My work on Facebook

WFMartin

I buy acrylic-primed canvases routinely, and I flat-out always add at least 3 additional coats of acrylic gesso. I use Grumbacher’s 525 Acrylic Gesso, and I thin it with water until it is spreadable with a brush.

I feel that manufacturers do not apply enough protection for the canvas. Acrylic-primed linen is notorious for not having enough acrylic priming. Pinholes are quite numerous in acrylic-primed linen, pre-stretched canvases, and to me, each pinhole represents a weakness in the coating, where oil paint can seep into the fabric, subjecting it to deterioration.

In short, I consider 3 extra applications of acrylic primer (thin enough to be brushable, and self-leveling) to be minimum for each acrylic-primed canvas that I purchase.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Don Ketchek

Not necessary, but I find the discount or cheap brands are noticeably less well covered by the gesso – so I try to buy the better brands.

Don

AllisonR

I buy cheap canvas boards for small studies, experiments… and I don’t add gesso. But if I am going to spend 40 or 80 hours on a painting, I don’t mind spending an extra 30 minutes giving two more layers of gesso. I consider it an investment, taking care of the painting.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                            Toril

I don’t mind the time, Allison, it’s just that I have to do it outdoors because of the smell/fumes. And it’s January. :D

This is a large canvas – I want to do it right. I think I’m seeing some tiny, tiny pinholes – not holes through, but lighter, very tiny areas.

Has anyone used a coat of oil paint instead of gesso?

Ben Sones

I know many add one or more layers of gesso to pre-gessoed commercial canvases – some because they don’t feel there is enough on it/too absorbent, some because they want a more smooth surface.

Is it necessary? If I feel the surface is smooth enough? [/quote]

Nope. If you like the surface as-is, then just use it as-is.

[QUOTE]Also, if I wanted to add a coat of something to make it smoother or less absorbent, could it just as well be a toned coat of thinned oil paint instead of gesso?

A thin (presumably wiped) coat of oil paint like you might use for toning is not going to reduce absorbency by any noticeable amount. If you want a less absorbent surface, a single coat of oil (not acrylic) primer will do the trick.

WFMartin

I don’t mind the time, Allison, it’s just that I have to do it outdoors because of the smell/fumes. And it’s January. :D

This is a large canvas – I want to do it right. I think I’m seeing some tiny, tiny pinholes – not holes through, but lighter, very tiny areas.

Has anyone used a coat of oil paint instead of gesso?

No, no…..Oil paint is what we’re trying to protect the canvas material from. A coat of oil paint most surely will not protect the canvas from ….oil paint.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                        https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Ron Francis

Is it necessary? If I feel the surface is smooth enough?

Also, if I wanted to add a coat of something to make it smoother or less absorbent, could it just as well be a toned coat of thinned oil paint instead of gesso?

My problem is that the smell of acrylic paints – alkyds? – and gesso make me queasy and give me a headache.

I’m with Bill on this one.
                                            You don’t know the number of coats acrylic gesso that the manufacturer applied, and tests by Golden show that at least 3 coats are needed to stop strikethrough, (oil penetrating through to the canvas).
                                            Also, you don’t know what they used, and different brands of acrylic gesso have different levels of absorptiveness, which will also effect strikethough.
                                            So adding additional layers of acrylic gesso is safety measure to make sure you don’t get any oil in the canvas which will eventually rot it.

Ron
                                            www.RonaldFrancis.com

Ben Sones

I’m with Bill on this one.
                                                You don’t know the number of coats acrylic gesso that the manufacturer applied, and tests by Golden show that at least 3 coats are needed to stop strikethrough, (oil penetrating through to the canvas).

Yeah, I should modify my advice to say “You can add a coat of oil primer if you know that the canvas is already properly prepared.” I guess with a lot of budget brands, you are sort of rolling the dice. As Ron and Bill say, it’s probably not a bad idea to add another coat of acrylic gesso as insurance.

With better quality canvas, though, the manufacturer will generally tell you exactly how the material was prepared. I wouldn’t feel it necessary to add any more acrylic primer to, say, Claessens #113, because I know that it’s already been sized twice with PVA, and then primed twice with acrylic gesso. That’s more than enough to prevent oil penetration.

JamieWG

No, no…..Oil paint is what we’re trying to protect the canvas material [I]from[/I]. A coat of oil paint most surely will not protect the canvas from ….oil paint.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
                                                    Well said, Bill!

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                                                    Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                                                    [/url]
                                                    One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

Toril

So I took out my bucket of gesso yesterday. It stunk up the whole house, made my nose and eyes burn, and had me coughing the rest of the evening. :( It also was thick as pudding, so I would probably have to thin it somehow.

I have to find another alternative… Or just not worry about it.

Ben Sones

Have you considered buying oil-primed canvases? They are somewhat more expensive, but would eliminate the need to work with acrylic gesso.

Toril

No, I had not considered that – I will look into it, thanks! :thumbsup:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Adding coats to pre-gessoed canvas’ is closed to new replies.