Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Inexperenced Lino Cutter Needs Help Please

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mandavela

Hi there..am new to lino cutting and am experiencing a phenomenon that I hope someone could explain. I am doing a 4 colour reduction lino using Caligo safe wash ink. The first and second layers all went well but the third is proving troublesome. A proof print on blank paper showed lovely clear lines but as soon as I printed on the first and second layers the finer lines and edges appear to be “bleeding” or smudged. Any ideas? I am sure the print is not sliding.If the previous layer ink was still a bit tacky would this happen?

Many thanks for any input.

Heft

I’m not familiar with Caligo inks, so others would have to weigh in if that is an issue. Can you post a photo so we can see what you are referring to?

JDH

[FONT=Century Gothic]www.jdheft.com

contumacious
                DougThomas

I only use oil-based inks, but know a little about Caligo through other discussions…

Though Caligo Inks are very popular they do have extended dry times. Part of what you may be experiencing may be that the second layer is not yet completely dry. Most inks like Caligo (Akua is another style) dry upon absorption. With the reduction print only the first layer will dry fast, each subsequent layer will take longer.

If this isn’t completely the problem, then I would think that perhaps the paper is shifting on you slightly while the ink is being transferred. Just be careful with your pressure (whether hand printing or with a press).

Issues like this occasionally happen with oil-based as well…so don’t feel too bad.

mandavela

Thank you everyone for your thoughts..seems that the ink having direct access to the paper is important so maybe reduction is not the way to go…The Reddit post was interesting, thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.