WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2003, 04:17 PM
Enthusiast
Alabama. USA

Hails from United States
riverbend or blahblah landscape...

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: riverbend or blahblah landscape...
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 3x4 feet
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
dramatic madeup landscape.
worked from thumnail,very small. maybe too small.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
im puzzled over whats wrong with this picture...
dont know if its
composition,
lighting,
brushwork / texture
color.
congruity?
ive looked at it in the mirror and actually
like it better flipped.

any observationss are welcomed.
mel

http://melaniemagee.blogspot.com
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2003, 05:56 PM
A Local Legend
Portland OR

Hails from United States
Because of how we read words (from left to right) or because of some other "rule" of composition, our eye generally comfortably comes to rest in the lower right quandrant. The flowing water in your painting moreless ends in the right lower corner in the flopped version. Preferable. The mirror image is stronger.

This painting has a great "fantasy" feel to it (no doubt due to the fact it is from your imagination) I think all the colors work very well--they certainly are not blah by any stretch. You have used the red on the opposite side trees judiciously, it's a nice touch. The shadows could be a bit more realistic with some sun coming through and the shadows could be darkened to add interest. Your elevated "birdeye" viewpoint is what really makes the entire thing so interesting and you might consider even a more aerial view for more contrast. (perhaps less sky). I photoshopped a flipped with more shadow version.
Attached Images

Last edited by Yokovich : 12-30-2003 at 06:08 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2003, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast
Alabama. USA

Hails from United States
spot on! i like your version.!
wish i could flip the painting,[i]actually[/i} .
but will certainly add those nice shadows.
thank you!!! i love this site.
good helpful words.

i was trying for abstract lanscape at first but got fuzzy because im such a realist in my mind. [suppose that is good for another aspect of life].
for this painting not abstract enuf so will go realism...sorta"?

thank you so much!
melanie

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2003, 07:15 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States
This is a very strong painting. Your colors are wonderfully rich and vibrant. And there is a lot of drama with the shadowed area playing against the sunlit areas. I really like it.

I find Celestia's flip interesting. I can't decide which I like better. But what has me going in this is the sun location. I find the sun glare off the water (?) disturbing since the horizon is higher and gives no indication of a setting/rising sun.

I would like to see something in the sky that leads me to believe the brilliant sunset. For me, this sunset has an incomplete feel to it because there is nothing in the clouds to give evidence of it.

Other than that, I like it.

Diane
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2003, 08:55 PM
Dana Design

Ah, now I see. I thought that the brilliant sun was on the tops of the trees as a reflection, however, if it's the water, I agree with Diane's take on it. The flip is amazing! Looks like a totally different paintig.

The colors are absolutely scrumptious! Beautiful, dusty as seen through mist. Really lovely!

Dana
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2003, 02:38 AM
Enthusiast
Alabama. USA

Hails from United States
changes made

ok... i worked on some shadows and suggested things.
i may be pulling together. or may be too harsh in forground?
[you can get away with more in abstract]
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2003, 02:46 AM
Enthusiast
Alabama. USA

Hails from United States
close up

its really hard to see a 3x4 acurately on a crt screen...so this is a closeup shot
thanks to all on comments/suggestions.
you may have something about the reflection off the water not being right time of day. i may work on the sky.
Attached Images

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2003, 05:22 PM
A Local Legend
Portland OR

Hails from United States
great adjustment and after looking at it again I vote leave the sky and the golden water alone. (correcting the water to be more "real" might indeed send it into blahblah territory)
I am most impressed with that you've "conjured" this up. Beautiful.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2003, 06:16 PM
Enthusiast
Alabama. USA

Hails from United States
thanks for all your help in doing this painting.!!
i feel i should put your name somewhere

i think i will turn the left mt. range into one flat slab extending off the edge to the left... to make it less "noticeable or? competing"
i did in photoshop and it looked good.
[there is enuf going onin the foreground.]

no conjuring --- i did three thumbnails and let experts[my little nieces] pick which one they liked best. the gallery asked for dramatic.

i carry my digital w me always and take pics driving down the road. it is amazing all the variations of colors in the sky. wow.!
and how i can "appreciate" traffic now
i will be back w other paintings. i hope.
m

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2003, 06:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States
I like how it's come out. I thought you needed to add some more to the sky, but the change of light coming through the trees somehow negated the need for that (at least, as I see it).

I think it's lovely, very dramatic. I went to your website and enjoyed your other landscapes. You have a very distinct style which I find very appealing.

Diane
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2003, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast
Alabama. USA

Hails from United States
thankyou.!! for all the encouragement and wisdom. im always learning, as we all are.
diane- love your watercolors/style.the water/boat scenes and the light transparency of yours is wonderful.
bet its not cold in puerto rico.

[ps. i did change the sky a bit, but its hard to tell except in person.]

happy new year to all!

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States
I really like the changes, they have brought the painting along nicely. One question. There is red light coming through the trees on the right, and red light visible on the trees to the left. What about the trees in the middle? It seems like the trees nearer the light source would be more apt to show the red light than the trees at left. Also the red tinged landscape beyond the far bend of the river, visible just above the tres at right is wonderful. The change from the red infused foliage to the green in the far landscape and in the trees on the left seems a little abrupt. As it is the painting is already sucessful, these are just my nit picking thoughts.

Bob
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Enthusiast
Alabama. USA

Hails from United States
Re: riverbend or blahblah landscape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberj
I really like the changes, they have brought the painting along nicely. One question. There is red light coming through the trees on the right, and red light visible on the trees to the left. What about the trees in the middle? It seems like the trees nearer the light source would be more apt to show the red light than the trees at left. Also the red tinged landscape beyond the far bend of the river, visible just above the tres at right is wonderful. The change from the red infused foliage to the green in the far landscape and in the trees on the left seems a little abrupt. As it is the painting is already sucessful, these are just my nit picking thoughts.

Bob
thanks bob.
thats prob. a red tree on the left.i do like that area you liked. maybe the red/green change is abrupt. ive toned down the sky abit so as not to compete. im actually on to two other paintings. thank you for looking at this and "lendin me your eyes"/it always helps me to notice things.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2004, 12:55 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

I am assuming the last crop is the latest development, and just wanted to say it is a good one and basically for a simple and sound compositional reason.

Color is very much like the parts of a piece of music. It will pull all the parts together as a cohesive whole, or create chaos.

Walk into a choral room with 30 voices all singing their own songs at the top of their lungs and you have a major noise/mess on your hands.

Begin to give a melody line to one group....and have the others augment with harmonies that weave WITH that melody, and you bring control.

If the lyrics and mood are the point with which to emit to the listening audience, this cohesive unity with melody and harmony works to highlight and underscore the theme intended and the audience gets it. Chaos hides the intent.

The painter responds to a thing...and the novice to become an intermediate, and then a master must understand and prioritize the moment. There is a reason you respond, and it will take many failed paintings to get a handle on yourself and the why's? of your choices. This is one reason I often say around here that it takes 120 bad paintings done and put behind you to learn something about painting.

The novice is moved emotionally to set up to paint, moved by few essential elements but quickly observes many other intricasies of the scene and thinks it clever to prove their keen observation adding unnecessary clutter.

It must be understood that at every spot to stand and observe a scene and potential painting, that no less than a half-dozen paintings alone could be done with each one being different in their emphasis and dynamics. ONe must anticipate one's tendency to try and paint 3 paintings in one...and resist. You must get at the barebones rudimentary reasons you responded to a thing.

Like Michelangelo, you chip out the life that is inherent in the stone, or this case the scene. I call those few essentials that nails the life and beauty you thirst and require the "ah-Hah!" which is the response when you indeed put it down to paint. Nothing more is needed, nothing less could have done it.

In your original work...the blues of the sky are absolutely totally unrelated to the overall scene.

Color theory wise...the blues are a contrasting dynamic which makes the oranges and reds of your scene stronger, and the artistic inclination is to take advantage of that..but, the harmony of the moment requires greater prudence.

Should your response to the moment been related to those sky blues as essential, your job as musical score director would have been to bring the visual voices together in harmony. To do so, you would have to establish color rhythm or notation.

This is achieved by sharing or distributing your color throughout. The way you bring 2 or 3 paintings in one together is to take that which is common in each and share or spread it throughout into the others.

If you have color notes of blue in the sky, you'll need to find cause to paint spots of blue in the midground and foreground. Reds and oranges in the foreground need to find cause to be shared and distributed into the sky.

Your latest crop in eliminating the distraction of the sky blues allows the natural existence of the harmonies already established to sing their melody with appropriate harmonies in tact.

I hope that helps to underscore why this now works so well. Nicely finished!

Larry
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast
Alabama. USA

Hails from United States

thanks larry! good words. im printing out to read/study.
i did have too many "voices singing" in this painting.
unfort. that was not a crop, just a closeup.
i haven't posted the newest version, but the sky is really toned down as well as the competing mt range on left..[now muted flatrange]

im still learning and doing those 120 bad paintings,
which i dont really mind ,as long as im learning.
thank you again. it helps!