Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Portraiture Forum Library Archives January 2014 PORTRAITURE CHALLENGE!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Everyone

Happy 2014 to you all! :clap:

We are starting off the new year with a new Portrait Challenge. :D
        … actually, posting it up on New Year’s eve, so we can get a good start on things.

I’m providing some lovely ladies for you; some Masterly portraits by Russian painter, Gregoire Lehmann (1835-1901) & English painter (and one of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood), John Everett Millais (1829-1896), and some photos of my friend, Edith.

Work hard, have fun, work in whatever medium you wish. Please post up your work here – both work-in-progress (WIP) and finished work. :D

Works by Gregoire Lehmann: (I don’t know titles or dates for these)

Works by John Everett Millais:
        “Sophie Gray” (the artist’s sister-in-law when she was a teenager), circa 1857, 12″ x 9″

“The Bridesmaid” (Mary Hunt Millais, the artist’s daughter), 1879, 23″ x 17-1/4″

… and here is the lovely Edith, looking somewhat sad and pensive in fur…

Cheers, Lauren
        https://www.facebook.com/LaurenFosterMacLeod/
        Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lauren.fosterm/

bhave13

Hello,
            Here is my first pass at one of the pretty ladies :angel: :)
            This is done with soft pastels on ‘back of cereal box’ paper (just did not have the confidence to waste good art paper)

C & C are welcome
            Thanks Lauren for hosting this Potraiture Challenge!!

Look forward to working on the others as well..

Sunil Bhave :wave:
            New Zealand

OK

A good attitude Sunil, use what ever is at hand when you are learning and don’t be afraid to chuck the results after assessing the weaknesses. Capering with good artists will educate your eye in all aspects of drawing, value and colour harmony.
                You are well on your way, :wave: Dave

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                — Allen Ginsberg
                Are you ready for a Journey?
                PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

gakinme

Thank you, Lauren, for starting the challenges again. I have been looking forward to them and was worried it wouldn’t come back.

Sunil, good try on the cereal box. I used to do all my soft pastel work on cardboard boxes too when I first started and they last well.

First one is pencil and second one is Mungyo oil pastel in 6×9 inch Fabriano Artist Journal.

Sizun

Bahve and Sandra, good tries on your studies.
                        Lauren, I’m so glad the challenge is back. I do need this kind of virtual event to keep me motivated.
                        I’m currently working on a Lehmann graphite study. Hope to post soon.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Critics and comments ALWAYS WELCOME
                        My blog

CinDoc

Thanks Lauren for posting the challenge… after a few months hiatus, I’m trying to get back to drawing and painting on a regular basis and this was a fun way to do that!

Sunil and Sandra, in both of your pastels I particularly like the colours in the dress.

Here’s my attempt at Edith in pencil. Even though I didn’t really get her likeness (and aged her 10 years :P) I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. I struggle with how to “fade off” a drawing though, and think that could have probably been done better. C&C’s welcome. :)

Cindy

DonnasArt

I’m going to join you, but I’m running behind so it may be a while. I’m going to attempt the first one.

C&C ALWAYS!

Donna

Sizun

Cindy, you did a good job on Edith’s picture. I’d like to draw her too, but it is not an easy one. She does look a bit older and I think you’re right when you talk about softening the lines. Esp. those around the mouth and nose. And what about rounding her left cheek just a bit more ?
                                    Your handling of the fur and sweater is beautiful, I love how you hatched the darker part of her cloth and how you left the fur rendering hardly touched by the pencil.

My blog

Sizun

This is the study I made. I focused on proportions as this is the area I’d like to work on during the coming weeks. It’s graphite on copy paper.

My blog

cedargrove

My first post on Wet Canvas and I’m excited to be involved. Always kind of doodled but decided to learn oil painting a few months ago. Here is my first preliminary sketch to add to the mix. A few size/proportion/value issues of course but I like the source material. Will do another with corrections and then an oil sketch.

Graphite 4″x5.5″

DonnasArt

Here’s my rough in. Just to let you know I’m working on it. Lots more to do but it’s a start.

C&C ALWAYS!

Donna

Sizun

Cedargrove it’s a delicate drawing true to the feeling of the original work. I especialy like her right hand, her fingers are so elegant !

Donna, it looks promising. Thank you for teasing !

My blog

OK

They have a limited palette challenge over on the Oil Painting forum so I thought I would unite the two challenges.

For this portrait of Edith I used, Winsor Yellow, Red, and Blue plus white, not a palette I would usually use for anything.

:wave: Dave

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                                                        — Allen Ginsberg
                                                        Are you ready for a Journey?
                                                        PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

DonnasArt

Whow! Interesting interpretations. :clap: Great work.

Here’s my progress report. Much more to do, but I think there has been progress. :)

Also, I like to learn a little something about the artist while I’m doing a copy. I could not find much on this one. But the artist has different spellings for last name and is better known as Yuri Yakovlevich Leman. This original is known as
                                                            Handicraft, was painted in 1887 and is at Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow, Russia / The Bridgeman Art Library. http://www.bridgemanart.com/en-GB/asset/137574/leman-yuri-yakovlevich-1834-1901/handicraft-1887-oil-on-canvas?search_context=%7B%22url%22%3A%22http%3A%5C%2F%5C%2Fwww.bridgemanart.com%5C%2Fen-GB%5C%2Flightbox%5C%2F2001011%5C%2Fdefault%5C%2Fview%22%2C%22num_results%22%3A1%2C%22item_index%22%3A1%2C%22search_type%22%3A%22lightbox%22%2C%22lightbox_id%22%3A%222001011%22%7D

C&C ALWAYS!

Donna

gakinme

Thank you, Sizun, Cindy.

Cindy, your gal has just the right mood in her.

Sizun, I like your piece. Very minimal details but it looks so accurate.

Cedar, your piece has a frontier look even to the choice of materials.

Looking forward to your piece, Donna.

Dave, it’s amazing with just a few colors the piece doesn’t lack in any tones at all. And it has such depth to it.

Caran D’Ache Luminance colored pencils

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.