WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2001, 11:42 AM
Bethlehem, PA

Head shot...

Been messing with this strange style for a while now. Love to fill shapes with other interlocking shapes. Lately they've been looking more and more fractal...

This began as a face. I made some attempt at reflecting the internal shapes in the external patterns, but I was pretty burned out by that point (did this all in one sitting).

Enjoy,
Precarious

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2001, 12:07 PM
A Local Legend
Alberta Canada

Hails from Canada
Thumbs up

I LIKE IT!!! Very nice element of design!! You did this all in one sitting?? No wonder you burned out You ever thought of coloring the face in this drawing?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2001, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast
London Ont. Canada

Hails from Canada
Just love this one... glad to see you posting here...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2001, 05:05 PM
Immortalized
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Hi precarious - I like it too! Welcome to the pen and ink forum.

What does fractal mean? The word wasn't in either of my dictionaries - mind you, one was published in 1971 and the other in 1987 - think I'll put 'a recent dictionary' on my Christmas list
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2001, 04:55 PM
Bethlehem, PA

Fractal: any of various curves or shapes that repeat themselves at any scale on which they are examined.

Fractal shapes are found throughout nature: the growth patterns of plants and veins, the swirling shapes of sea shells, the patterns in eddies of water... so many things in nature exhibit evidence of fractal geometry... including the spiral nebula!

More recently, thanks so increased processor speeds, fractal equations have made their way into graphic software applications adding a level of realism to computer generated imagery. My favorite: Kai's Power Tool 5, Fraxsplorer.

Here is a link to some superior galleries of computer generated fractals as well as the FREE software that was used to create them:
http://parkenet.org/jp/fractvty.htm

I have never seen fractals expressed in freehand art other than works by M.C.Esher and studies of wind and water by Leonardo da Vinci. Both of whom were generating fractal before they even had a name!

Of course, I am not on their level by any means! But these repeating shapes and curves have been apparent to me since I was a child. It was only recently that I discovered there was a name and theory behind them. Since I now have a better understanding of them they have been making appearances in my art.

Example: the rounded triangular shapes each contain 3 more triangular shapes that if rounded could each contain a copy of the original shape. And each of those would contain 3 more triangular shapes, etc...

I don't just copy these patters from a book. They just reveal themselves to me. I've found I can discover a fractal patters that fits into nearly any shape. It's fun and inspiring to know that the universe contains such beauty and order even where it is not apparent.

I'm sure that was more of an explanation than you required! Thanks for the positive feedback.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2001, 07:00 PM
Immortalized
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Thank you for the super explanation Precarious
No, it was not more than I wanted, it was just great.

Looked up some fractal artwork on the internet - very interesting - might try some at a later date.