Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Frances Obie

I have been trying out different black surfaces to see what effects I can get. I did this yesterday on black Canson Touch. Loved the paper. Smooth but takes lots of layers. C & C’s welcome.

Frances

My Web Site
        Donna T

Frances, this is absolutely stunning! Those gorgeous colors really glow against the black paper. The deep blue you put on the treetops does something special – maybe it ties the sky and water together? I haven’t tried that kind of paper yet but it looks like you’re going to do great things with it.

Donna
            C&C Always Welcome

water girl

Beautiful~ You make me want to go out and buy some Canson Touch. I would not have thought to use the black. Thank you for inspiring us!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

Frances Obie

Donna, thank you so much for those comments! Black paper really seems to push color contrasts. This one is a really dark, rich looking black which enlivens color. I’m glad you like the touch of blue in the trees….I think I was just trying out darks in that area and left it there…it does work to tie elements together. I’m teaching a workshop on black surfaces soon, so this will be my choice for sanded paper!
                    Thank you Karen. I appreciate those comments! I’m sure you would also love this paper.

Frances

My Web Site
                    contumacious

A great looking painting!

Have you tried the black UArt sanded papers?

Frances Obie

A great looking painting!

Have you tried the black UArt sanded papers?

Thanks Contumacious!
                            No I haven’t. I have tried the neutral colored 500 grit Uart which I liked, although it seems to be a bit coarser than the Canson. A deciding factor was the size the sheets come in – Canson was larger which was more suitable for me. I would like to try the black Uart in the future though.

Frances

My Web Site
                            PeggyB

I too enjoy painting on black. I find so long as I don’t get too carried away with the more grayed earth colors the others just seem to “hop” off the paper.
                                I haven’t tried the Canson Touch in black, but I do like the ColourFix black. They are similar, but not quite the same in texture, and don’t seem to “eat” the pastels quite as fast as UArt. I’ll have to give the black a try in one of the smoother textures of UArt.
                                Your sunrise is lovely; I’d never get up early enough to even photograph a sunrise much less paint one from life. lol

Peggy Braeutigam, IAPS/MC
                                www.peggybraeutigam.com

western ejm

This is lovely, Almost an impressionistic quality.

Evelyn

www.evelynmillions.ca
                                    Watercolour & Soft Pastel, Western Canada

kentiessen

A real beauty Frances! I have some of the Touch, but not used it yet- you have inspired me-

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                                        Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

Frances Obie

Hi Peggy – Thanks! I also found that I need to be careful not to overdo earth tones on black. Thanks for the info about ColorFix – its not available here and I prefer not to order from the US (duties etc.) but I will look for it next time I’m traveling stateside.
                                            Many thanks Evelyn! Its interesting how different surfaces encourage different ways of working.
                                            Thank you so much for those kind words Ken!

Frances

My Web Site

Beautiful work. Masterful handling of pastel and color. A joy to look at.

Humburger

Very lovely. 😊

Ginny
                                                www.virginiacmccoy.com
                                                C & C Welcome

Dea

Beautiful, I love your colours
                                                    I prefer dark surfaces too
                                                    Deanna

Deanna Field

"You can own the Earth and still, all you own is earth untill, you can paint with all the colours of the wind." Disney's Pocohontas.

Alysed

That is beautiful and inspiring.

Frances Obie

Boogiechile, Ginny, Deanna, Alysed, thanks – I appreciate the comments!

Frances

My Web Site
                                                          Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.