Home Forums Explore Subjects Artwork from Life Scavenger Hunt #580 17 March – 25 March

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    jmfletch

[FONT=Calibri]Welcome to the hunt!!

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
        https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366347

Here are the rules for the hunt:

*All items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.

*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.

*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.

*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyways. Commenting is appreciated but not necessary.*[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Scavenger Hunt #580 17 March – 25 March[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Almond – any nut[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Bonbon – any candy[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Carrot – any vegetable[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Dandelion – any flower[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Egg[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Feather[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Glass[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Hawk – any large bird[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Ink[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Juicy[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Keepsake[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Lace[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Moon – this is to see what PC produces[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Nail [/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Oblong[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Pair[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Quirky[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Ragged[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Smooth[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Toothsome[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Unique[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Vodka[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Wine[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Xiao or any flute[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Your favorite ??[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]Zany[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Challenges.[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]1 Do in order listed[/FONT]
        [FONT=Calibri]2 make a composition with minimum of 3 objects from list[/FONT]

Keep sketching
        Joe

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

Pine Cone

LOL Joe, OMG, you’ve got to be kidding!!! You’re so funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

How about this: I’ll try for it if you will :evil:

But you probably have better weather so we’ll see who captures it first 👀 🐾 💦 🙃

Is it a deal???????

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces[/color]

eyepaint

Thanks Joe for the new list. I see you have a funny list :)

-- EP Moderator for:
                All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

m50paul

Joe nice list…..

Paul

C & C Always Welcomed

jmfletch

Is it a deal???????

DEAL!!

But you should know we have had two days of showers already and front is not here yet.
                        Joe

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

eyepaint

Am I first?

Graphite and dry Inktense, 5×6″ across the two pages

1. almond milk in a tetrapack
                            2. milkbone – dog treat – sub for bonbon
                            3. carrot
                            4. flower – dried up old blossom on my Xmas cactus (who doesn’t keep an eye on the calendar and bloomed two weeks ago)
                            5. egg

Done in order and with a still life of 5 objects :) Challenge complete!

Cheers,

-- EP Moderator for:
                            All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

jmfletch

EP – Fast start and great substitutes. One if these hunts I want to do a free association where you don’t draw what is in the list but free associate to subject you draw and tell the associations.

Keep sketching
                                Joe

Pine Cone

DEAL!!

But you should know we have had two days of showers already and front is not here yet.
                                    Joe

Joe — So much fun 😃 Thanks so much Joe 🎨 Checking my weather, it looks like it’ll be iffy-ish the entire time. So I’ll just have to see if there’s a clear patch at the same time as the Moon’s available.

You picked such a great time, since your event is surrounding the Full Moon! Lots more hope to see it at some point!

Hoping Thursday turns out clearish, I took screenshots from the Sky Safari app (old version) for ten o’clock. I used your location in your avatar pic (mainly cause I didn’t want to use mine :o and yours was handy :evil: ) And I choose ten o’clock because it looked like it might be a comfortable viewing height to the east, a little over an hour after it rises.

Pine Cone

EP — Lovely set of sketches. Love the sunny carrot and treat for your dog friend 💛 Very cool that your plant bloomed in March! Almond milk sounds intriguing and the package looks lovely! Edit: Congrats on being first, and doing the challenge right off the top!

Joan T

Joe, thanks for the interesting new list.

EP – You are off to a good start. Nice sketches! Someone is getting a nice treat.

Pine Cone & Joe – Looks like you two will have the sky covered for us. It will be interesting to see what you find.

1 – ragged jeans – watercolors and ink
                                            2 – quirky shamrock tights peeking out of the jeans
                                            3 – glass window on the train
                                            4 – pair of cupids – pencils

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                                            [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

jmfletch

Pine Cone – last night was all clouds could not even see a single star.

Joan – great picks. Taking LIRR into the city. Cherubs are adorable

Keep sketching
                                                Joe

All the moon talk is way over my head. Good luck with your finds. Maybe I’ll see the moon on Tuesday or Wednesday after the baseball game.

EP such a great and interesting start. My Christmas Cactus got too dry last summer and died. I will have to get a piece of my mom’s when I see my sister this summer.

Joan, had to show Gene the pair of ragged jeans, he is always amazed that people wear jeans like that when his mom had to always patch their jeans when he was little. Beautiful find for pair.

Joe, I think you can substitute a whole list if you want, subs are allowed any time, right?

Hope to do something today. No baseball or doctors!

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
                                                My website https://jocastilloart.com

jmfletch

Joe, I think you can substitute a whole list if you want, subs are allowed any time, right?

Agree can always substitute but I was thinking more of free association. Like if flute is listed and you draw Washington monument..flute makes you think high school band ..good times with friends in HS…HS field trips…visited DC..Draw Washington Monument. You would draw it but than also tell the associations.

Make sense ?
                                                    Joe

Pine Cone

Joan — Your train sketch stole my heart — such personality with those quirky shamrocks and the lovely scenic backdrop. Cool angel sketch too.

Joe — I’m interrupting my anti-rain dance to post here :) I hope your skies clear up at some point. Last time you sketched the sky, it was fantastic.

I think your free association list idea is gonna be amazing :)

Pine Cone

item #1 – Moon[/u] ….. our Moon (at about 90%, left edge still gone)

item #2 – quirky[/u] ….. Regulus[/color]

(Because Regulus spins super fast. So fast that it flattens from a sphere to an oval. If it spun only 16% faster, it would break apart.)

item #3 – pair[/u] ….. Castor and Pollux

(The “heavenly twins” of the constellation Gemini.)

item #3+ – three bonus pairs[/u] ….. Castor

(The single point we see at a glance when we look at Castor turns out to actually be six stars in three pairs that mutually orbit one another.)

———————-

Outside for about 30-45 minutes. Used binoculars for the Moon, but not the stars. Cold.

The sky had lots of gauzy, thin clouds streaking it and even blocking some major stars from time to time. At one point, they got thick enough to show as a dense, round halo expanding out from around the Moon. But the rest of the time, the halo was uneven and billowy, and that’s what I was more interested in trying to portray, although there weren’t a lot of pixels to work with :lol:

I made the initial color choices and sketch outside, but as frostbite set in :lol: I came inside and did the background and painted over the notes as well, fixing, etc.

I hope you like it Joe 😊

Tools:

Non-virtual pencil and non-virtual paper.

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil.

Procreate app for the sketch and background.

Art Studio Pro app for the crop, text, border, downsize, and export.[/color]

Process:

Virtual pastel on virtual watercolor paper.

Freehand, no drafting tools or tracing, digital or otherwise.

No grid or smoothing or symmetry or cloning, digital or otherwise.

No digital filters or effects. No digital color intensification or exaggeration.[/color]

Moon reference located approximately 225,000 miles away now.

Star references located at about 79, 11, 34, and 51 light-years away, respectively. (Each single light-year equals nearly 6 trillion miles.)[/color]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.