WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2019, 08:36 PM

McDonald Lake revised

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: McDonald Lake revised
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
All comments welcome. This is nearing completion.

Please submit any questions or suggestions.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How can I improve the foreground?.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:56 AM

Re: McDonald Lake revised

Very pleasing landscape, harry, with super depth. I think the mountains to the left look a bit washed out and perhaps the first line needs a nudge in the colour saturation department.

The reflections of the trees are not quite working, and I give a lot of latitude when it comes to reflections. The second tree from the left, the green one, looks fine but its reflection is at the wrong angle. It should angle the other way. The gold, autumnal looking tree is wide and bushy, yet its reflection looks like a sharp evergreen. The others are fine.

The sky's a bit wishy-washy, even if it IS accurate. Maybe try to intensify the colours or add something of interest, perhaps a simple blue would have more impact, given that its not a main player.

The shoreline, and foreground in general, is very nice indeed, perfect for this soft and ethereal scene.

Overall, a lovely landscape that could stand a shove here and there.

B

Last edited by Beemax : 08-09-2019 at 02:59 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2019, 04:34 AM

Beemax, thank you so much for responding. 93 folks viewed this and you are the only one to reply. I was aware the reflections are off. The trees are in shadow I was testing to see how bright the reflections should be.

My concern with the mountains was value. I will go back and glaze the "first line" mountains and see what it looks like. Thanks again for your critique.
It seems to be difficult to get anyone to comment.

Harry
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2019, 07:51 AM

Hi harry, comments here are sometimes sparse. I think most views are from guests as when I look at the bottom there are usually 30-40 guests and 1 or 2 members.
personally I dont know how to answer your original question, not sure about reflection in shadow here. I also dont know how to improve the foreground, its my favorite part. Looks great! Especially the bit of blue in the orange shore.
I agree with beemax about the shadow shapes needing a bit of adjustment.
Love the color but not sure why the leaning evergreen is orange on top?
the water that wraps around behind trees is angled, and the color is a little confusing.

Im not familiar with this lake but have been to the majority of the ones in rmnp. What beemax said about the values in the mountains is for me the most important point for improvement. The layout of mountains is nice, but they all look the same distance away. The lake looks like it goes right to the base of closest mountain, yet that base looks many miles away, while the lake doesnt look that big. I think the atmospheric perspective works for the most distant, but the closest could not only be darker but also be a little more detailed to add to the effect. Then have some mid ranges progressing back. Each would be different.
its a really good composition and I like the color choices.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2019, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Agree with others that the values in distant mountain ranges need more contrast. Also about the reflections.

The rocks in the foreground need sharper edges and more contrast so they come forward more. Since they are closer to the viewer, they should be crisper with darker highlights and deeper shadows.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2019, 12:38 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

Agree with the others..

Many in the view count are search bots for the various search engines, so they can't comment. Plus non members that might be reading can't comment either.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2019, 09:51 PM
Singapore

Hails from United States

I agree with the criticisms about mountains and the sharpening the edges of the foreground stones.
The leaning tree at the edge of the group of trees bothered me. It feels unsettled to me: not quite fallen but not upright either. But of course that is my opinion and it does not seem to bother anyone else. I know that there are imperfections in the nature, but the theme in this painting is serenity.
Other than that it is a nicely painted scene.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2019, 08:11 PM
western PA

Hails from United States

Try to keep in mind; reflections always come strait down. It's still a nice painting.