WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > The Shutterbug Pub
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2019, 03:34 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Victoria

Hails from Australia
Shutterbug Pub Daily, Thursday, August 22, 2019

Good morning America!
On my recent getaway, the Federal Hotel at Nimitabel, NSW is one of the weirdest structures I've ever seen.
Kinda spooky don't you think? I can picture this place as a setting for a horror movie, ghosts, vampires, werewolves and stuff!
Wouldn't surprise me if the Munsters run this joint - Herman at the Bar, Eddie in the basement brewing spirits in his lab!
Anyways, as soon as I spotted it I thought of the Shutterbug Pub, a more congenial, less spooky place to spend the night indeed.

The Fisheye enabled me to capture the whole pub standing close to the building in front of the parked cars.

Last edited by Greenhill : 08-22-2019 at 03:47 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2019, 07:38 AM
A Local Legend
eastern coast

Hails from United States
Re: Shutterbug Pub Daily, Thursday, August 22, 2019

The fisheye gives the building an unusual twist....I don't find it spooky at all....in fact, we have a lot of restaurants near the water that look similar...rustic.....

We have a bullfrog in our small koi pond who likes to seranade me every evening....

As I was driving a friend to her Dr we saw a small patch of sunflowers. Cheered us up!!

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2019, 09:24 AM
Victoria

Hails from Australia

Nat", that explains every dang thangl ... it has to be an American design, a country that does Halloween! I betcha that frog is a wicked witch in disguise - spooky!

Can't wait to see some sunflowers here, this winter feels like it ain't never gonna end. (hope I got the accent right)

Last edited by Greenhill : 08-22-2019 at 09:34 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2019, 10:44 AM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Mark, like Natalie I don't find that building spooky at all. It's an interesting and appealing style.

Natalie, I like your bull frog and sunflower shots.

No new photos from me. I've been preoccupied with some plumbing problems since Monday: after 2 lengthy visits from the plumber at a cost of about $1200 US, we're left with no assurances that the repairs will last and the suggestion that we spend an additional $3000 for a more dependable solution, also without a guarantee of a lasting fix.

Looks like I'll need to cut way back on my food expenditures for the next couple of months. Good thing I like cheap ramen.

Plumbers charge outrageous rates. The guy we used gets $135 an hour! That's on the high side (but not the highest) of the typical hourly labor rate range for plumbers in my area. Meanwhile, those in teaching, police and military, and many other more worthy occupations remain underpaid.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2019, 10:57 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Hi Mark!
Is the hotel seaside? My first impression was it looks like seaside hotel with all the windows. It looks like it had some add-ons over the years.
I do like the wide angle shot!
Hi Natalie!
Nice frog photo! Love the sunflowers! They are peaking here. I love how some farmers plant a few rows on the edges of their fields.

Hi Dave...wow. Plumbing problems...no fun.
They know you can't go without repairs for too long.

Still Shack?

I had to work yesterday, but I did bring my camera and found this old shed back at an abandoned home site that's fixin to be cleared for new construction. The roof is covered with vines.

Last edited by damar : 08-22-2019 at 11:02 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2019, 12:13 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States

Well, we certainly have a variety of subjects to look at this fine day.

Mark, it was nice that you were thinking about us when you took this photo of the pub. It sort of look like a friendly place to visit and definitely has that "country" feel to it. The fish eye added a lot of interest to the composition, wisely used by you. Thanks for starting the daily Mark with such an interesting structure. I would hate to have to wash all those windows.

Natalie,
I bet that bull frog puts you to sleep when it is cool enough outside for you to leave the windows open. We finally got a break from the heat. High today is only high of only 78 degrees. Tonight will be in the 50's and our windows will be wide open. So, you should be getting some relief soon since the weather patterns usually hit you two days after it passes through here. I hate when days have gone by and we keep breathing the same air in the house. I believe that It is good to change the air in the house and change your underware once in a while!

Love those sunflowers.

Damar,
that is a pretty tall shack and still looks quite sturdy. I wonder what it was used for.

Dave,
Oh dear, the woes of being a house owner. Yep, plumbing jobs are costly but it seems that everything is so costly now a days. We had our driveway redone two months ago. Ouch, that one really took a chunk out of our savings.

Tonight is our monthly photo club meeting. I always try to include several photos of PEOPLE in the assortment of photos that I submit for the club to view. So below are the two for tonight's meeting. I took this at a Beauty Pageant at a Vintage Car Show. The girls wore makeup, hair do's and outfits of by-gone days. Besides being interviewed, they had to perform a talent. It was all for a good cause. They did it to raise money for a dog rescue organization.

Here are a few of the contestants.

Smile,
Lorell
Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens, Sigma 2.8mm FishEye Lens
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2019, 12:36 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Hi Lorell!
I like your pageant photos, especially #3 with the nice Victory Wave do!
Supposed to cool off here in a few days too. Can't wait.
Afternoons are too hot to go out and do anything.
We'll do some travels once it cools off. That means photo ops!

My Pic: That was probably just an old tool shed.
It has a concrete block foundation and a floor that fell in, and 2 side windows.
Nicely built back in the day.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2019, 03:25 PM
A WC! Legend
South Dakota, USA

Hails from United States

Interesting photos yesterday and today!

Mark, I like the building and what your fisheye lens did to it!

Natalie, Quite a frog there! Looks a little muddy. I just finished a painting of a tree frog. Had a blast painting it.

Sunflowers always cheer us up!

Dave too bad about the plumbing. That is a high per hour rate. Here it is $70.00 and I am whining!

Damar, Good one, Good composition!

Lorell, I just watched an internet show by Mike Rowe. It is called returning the favor.The show was about a lady who makes a pin-up calendar and gives the money to Vet organizations. Called Pin-ups for vets. They were made up just like your photos, pretty neat! Good photos Lorell!
Cameras Canon SX160IS, ELPH 170IS Photoshop Elements 2018, Topaz Studio, Adjust, and Simplify.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2019, 03:30 PM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Back with a couple of photos, but first:

Neat shack, Damar.

Lorell, I've never developed a strong interest in or appreciation for portraits, but those look pretty professionally done to me.

Hi Rich.

I walked through the local Monarch Butterfly park on my way to the bank this morning; there is almost always something worth shooting in that small park.

1) Some variety of Eucalyptus...

[Nikon D7500 + Nikkor 18-300 at 50mm, manual mode, 1/1000 sec, f/10, ISO 500, processed in ACR & PSCS5]

2) Some interesting type of flower, but I have no idea its name...

[Nikon D7500 + Nikkor 18-300mm taken at 300mm, manual mode, 1/1000 sec, f/10, ISO 500, processed in ACR & PSCS5]

Last edited by droll13 : 08-22-2019 at 03:38 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2019, 05:50 PM
Victoria

Hails from Australia

Damar, Nimitabel is 85 kms from the coast, due to the torturous S-bends, it's just over an hour's drive.
"Still shack?" - do you mean it may have been used for brewing "moonshine" during the Prohibition? The vine covered roof would make it impossible to spot from the air!

Lorrel, oh wowee! Wonderful photography, love the sensuality of both images, creamy skin tones, and the way you've rendered them, especially the lighting and oof background.
You are a very clever girl with a camera and an image post processor. How did your images stack up at your camera club meeting?
And thanks for your thoughts on my spooky hotel! Teal and mustard is not one of my favourite colour combos.

Thanks Rich.

Dave, love the colours of the eucalypt bark, they harmonise nicely with your floral.

Natalie, I should have said so in my first reply to your bullfrog, he's truly a beautiful creature, shame upon me for even suggesting that he may be a sorcerer!

Last edited by Greenhill : 08-22-2019 at 05:59 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2019, 06:08 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhill
Damar, Nimitabel is 85 kms from the coast, due to the torturous S-bends, it's just over an hour's drive.
"Still shack?" - do you mean it may have been used for brewing "moonshine" during the Prohibition? The vine covered roof would make it impossible to spot from the air!
Nawww, I was just playing off the photo from the other day!
Stills were usually set up by a creek! Too flat here!
Have really enjoyed you adventure photos!

Hi Dave! Nice finds!