Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Glacier Bay #6

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dorrart

Latest one of the series. Acrylic on 24″x12″ gessoed cradled panel. This one had a burnt sienna and red (cadmium medium I think it was) underpainting. C&C welcome. Thanks for looking!

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

Reddyman

Dorrart i have been away for a bit with work so catching up here and this is just another beautiful piece in your series. The subtleties of colour and contrasts always work so well in your compositions.
            Beautiful textures and touches of light throughout as well.
            JOhn

Skyenorth

I am just amazed you can make each of these beautiful paintings so different and special. They must look wonderful together on a wall.

[URL=http://www.simmillarts.co.uk
                http://simmill-arts.blogspot.com/
                Success is never found. Failure never fatal. Courage is the only thing.
                Winston Churchill.

Aussiesrus

Wonderful of action in those rocks & ice which are nicely complemented by the open sky & water. IMO, the painting is greatly enhanced by that well define hard edge which is ideally located within the 4 parameters – A well placed COI – I like that !

A terrific series dorrart – Well Done !

Michael.

michaelcartwrightart.com.au
                    https://bluethumb.com.au/michael-cartwright
                    I'M NOT AS THINK AS YOU DRUNK I AM

Dorrart

Reddyman, Thanks so much John. I appreciate your kind words on my works. Thanks again.

They must look wonderful together on a wall.

Thank you very much! I set them all around me in my studio (several stacked on my easel, some leaning against table legs) to look at the group as a whole, but haven’t hung them up yet. Seeing them together does add to the effect and stirs memories of the site for me, which is good because I want to capture the mood of the place, the silent grandeur of the landscape there, more than create drama. So far so good.

Aussiesrus1, thanks for you detailed comments. It helps to know what others find is working. Very appreciated, thanks again.

- David

Bizzibee

Dorrart, what a beautiful way to remember what must have been a super holiday. I hope to take that cruise at some point! Your latest work is super. It has great harmony in the palette, the sky is excellent and you have perfectly captured the majesty of the area.

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Beautiful! I like the hints of the red underpainting showing through.

Heather AKA Lucy12
                            https://www.heatherrossbach.com
                            https://www.instagram.com/heatherrossbachart/
                            https://www.facebook.com/heatherrossbachart/?modal=admin_todo_tour

A beautiful composition Dorrart! Definitely will enhance any wall.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

The palette choices and strong value contrasts add to the other-worldly aspects of this series. I remember the Mohave Desert having a similar impact on me. You almost have to stop and assure yourself that you are on the same planet. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Dorrart

Bizzibee, Thanks so much Bizzibee, I appreciate and respect your opinion. Thanks again!

Lucy12, thanks for the comments! I picked that letting the underpainting show through from looking at Constable landscapes. I really appreciate your opinion and comments.

KreativeK, Thanks K! I’m hoping they will at some point in time. My goal is to show them somewhere once they are done. Thanks for the comments!

Trikist, other worldly is exactly how it felt. Glacier Bay affected me very powerfully with that feeling. I’m glad that is coming through. Thanks so much for commenting, your opinion means a lot to me.

Thanks so much everyone, the comments are definitely helpful.

- David

Old Radagast

Oh, wow… those rocks are so HUGE and craggy, and I love the red underpainting vs. the blue sky. Ominous clouds, too. As others have said, it feels rather otherworldly, but in a good way. Extremely wild and beautiful.. and cold! Nice!

Matthew

Still much to paint and much to learn!
                                    My blog: https://autumnglade.blogspot.com/

Anonymous

Great palette and beautiful sky.

Dorrart

oldradagast, thanks so much for your comment, you’ve picked up many of the things I am hoping to convey in this. I appreciate your opinion!

Hans Neuhart, Thanks for the comment! Glad you like the palette and the sky, grateful for your opinion!

- David

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.