Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Masking Frisket with Acrylics?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kitaye

I am currently working on a piece that began as something else entirely. The entire canvas was painted dark blue for a different painting but I changed my mind. To try to preserve the canvas I masked off the outline of my new subject and proceeded as usual. Unfortunately the frisket seems tohave dulled the background and allowed the white from the foreground to “leak”.

Now my question is…is there a good method for using Frisket with acrylics or should it never be used at all?

CarlyHardy

I’ve used frisket with acrylics before without any problems (except when I left it on too long and it was stuck to the paper rather badly). If you are working on canvas, the nap on the canvas may have not allowed the frisket to cover the area thoroughly. That would cause some bleeding. Not sure about the dulling effect unless the frisket lifted some of the paint that you put down the first time.
            carly

When using frisket film or masking tape with acrylics, especially when painting on a textured support like canvas, it is helpful to prime the open area with a thin layer of matte meium after masking. the medium will bleed under the edges of your mask, filling any gaps with clear acrylic that would have otherwise drawn in paint. WARNING: If you brush your medium only along the edge of the mask the stroke will be visible under the overlaying paint. Fill the entire area with medium and allow to dry. Also, a ridge of paint may build up along the edge of the mask, making the paint appear as a decal once the mask is removed. you may try sanding ot planing this edge with a razor if this is undesirable to you

When using liquid frisket, it is vital that it dries completely before applying paint on top of it. Acrylic and liquid latex frisket are both waterborne media and they will mix with each other.
            It is equally vital that, when used on paper, that the paper be completely dry before removing the rubber, otherwise the fibers may lift and the surface will be ruined.

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Kitaye,

Another thing you may consider is to apply the masking fluid thicker or apply a second coat after the first one has dried.

I have also used masking tape and paper to help when covering larger areas

Trevor

------------------------------------------------

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • The topic ‘Masking Frisket with Acrylics?’ is closed to new replies.