Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery kind of a departure for me

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone!

I would never consider myself a wildlife artist by any means, but a friend loves bears and wanted this, so I did it for her. 16×20 on home made sanded paper. Let me know what y’all think….

Perhaps a glint in its eyes? Excellent work.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

franglais

I’ve never seen a Grizzly up close… and hope I never do. But this looks great to me! Love your use of light behind the bear. I agree with Doug… perhaps some tiny specks to indicate glint in his eyes. Mike

water girl

The back lighting adds a nice touch. I like that you have kept the detail in the foliage to a minimum, so that the bear appears to stand strong and is the star of this piece. Lucky friend, I’d say.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

Richard,

the painting shows off your characteristic rich darks which add a lovely atmosphere to the piece. I also like the subtle light halo around the bear. It’s just enough to define the bear from her surroundings. Lastly, wow, love the gestural handling of the foliage. It’s descriptive enough while still telling me it’s pastel. So, no, not your usual choice of subject, but I believe you managed to create a striking image anyway. I say bravo!

John

Life is but a Dream

Donna T

What a lucky friend! Have you given this to her yet, Richard? Your experience with painting the landscape shows in the beautiful trees behind the bear. I admire your restraint with the details and agree with John’s comment about the gestural quality. Well done!

Donna
                C&C Always Welcome

This is beautiful. Powerful.

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
                My website https://jocastilloart.com

Humburger

I love it! It is very beautiful. I agree with Doug, that a glint in his eyes would just set it off. :-)

Ginny
                    www.virginiacmccoy.com
                    C & C Welcome

Thank you so much for the comments everyone! I did give her the painting over the weekend and she was very happy. That’s what it’s all about, as far as I’m concerned. I love that, to see the reaction is worth more than any amount of money. I don’t do it often, only to good friends and family, but every time the reaction means the world to me.

Funny about the glint in the eyes, I did try to put those in and then changed my mind after seeing how it looked. I preferred him without the eyes, for some reason. It sort of makes him more mysterious, I guess. I don’t know, just a choice of mine. It sure was fun to do!

Misspris

Very nicely done. The way the sunlight is hitting his fur is rendered well. I live in a rural area filled with bears, so have seen that stance, well captured.

jickmagger

Very well done indeed!!
                            Congrats also on the background, took a while i guess. :clap:

Regards
                            Udo :wave:

"We create as good an illusion as we can!"
                            (Marine Artist Geoff Hunt, RSMA)

www.udodieckmann.de

Thanks for the comments. Didn’t take that long, really, about an hour and a half start to finish. I tend to work fast. After about an hour I took a break and then came back and finished up.

EstherVisser

Wow, that’s fast. I love this work, the atmosphere, the halo around the bear, the foliage. Great work!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.