WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#136   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2013, 03:29 AM
Veteran Member
Northern CA

Hails from United States
Re: Round the Campfire ~May~

Trying to get caught up. Was in the mountains for 4 days no Internet (withdrawals!!!). Could occasionally check email on iphone but couldn't get anything else. Looks like everyone is busy!

Even though it was a work conference (ended Wednesday at noon), I squeezed in some painting time yesterday and today. I love to paint in the mountains with absolutely no one else around and no interruptions.
I just push the paint around while the painting pushes me.

Last edited by AshlandCreekArt : 05-24-2013 at 03:31 AM.
  #137   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast
eastern South Dakota

Hails from United States

Rick--I hope you'll post what you painted (if you haven't already)!

Deb--Looks like a shirt my engineering students would wear. They have lots of the Big Bang Theory shirts, too. Los Al--I have a friend who worked for the govt there "designing bombs." He lives outside of San Fran now, and went from being voted "least likely to finish college" (his undergrad, that is) to having an MBA with engineering emphasis and making tons of dough. Pretty impressive.

I'm sorry to hear you might have to move! The mountains really seem to agree with you. How do you manage your time!? Do you set a schedule for yourself, or just kind of go along? I can't seem to get caught up on things. Hope you ID'd the bad hen, too.

Donna and CK--You are both very lucky to come across those Rembrandts so cheaply! I love them!!

Jenna--Nice cards! I'm sure you'll have a great set-up at the show. I hope your dad has gotten back into the field. I think my dad and bro are about done, but my dad's focus right now is on the big memorial dedication on Monday. They spent 2 years fundraising and building it--with landscaping, granite benches with names, a huge wall with names of all the veterans in the area/local legion post, life-sized bronze statues of military men, and of course huge flags as far as one can see.

Donald--I'm glad you're safe, and it's great to hear from you! I hope you're having a good summer so far.

Ron--Sounds like your wife has a pickle of a job. Maybe her boss will move elsewhere for work and leave everyone to some peace.

Jo--Yes, senior moments abound. . . . I was looking for my cell phone yesterday, and it was in my pocket.

Hi to all. . . . Back to work for me! I have to do a bunch of audio and screen capture files for my course today, and with my current sore throat and cold, they'll be sounding stellar!

Coffee and breakfast are on: Bacon AND sugar, anyone??!! (Looks kinda bad to me.)

Last edited by Lisa M : 05-24-2013 at 11:29 AM.
  #138   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast
eastern South Dakota

Hails from United States

The thread at Jenna's horse WIP made me think of this link someone posted on FB. I realize these artifacts (well, some of them anyway) have some historical value, but they're so darned funny nonetheless. . . . Ron and others, I hope you enjoy!

http://io9.com/the-worlds-most-awkwa...ermy-509470092
  #139   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
Timnath, CO

Hails from United States

Lemme think - pi day. March 14? Those scientists are so clever!! Having lived w engineer types most of my adult life I can relate.
Lisa those stuffed creatures are so sad. Funny too but after a while they get creepy. There's a house for rent near our place in Wisconsin that is stuffed, so to speak, to the rafters w mounted animals. Reminds me of the Addams family house. I doubt I could get much sleep there.

Last edited by tuzigoot : 05-24-2013 at 02:04 PM.
  #140   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! Another gorgeous day outside, and I will gladly take it!

Hi Deb. Love the tee-shirt as well as the joke. Made me laugh!

Hi Rick. Good to see you back. It's funny how much we miss internet when it isn't there, isn't it? I'm happy you got the chance to do some painting while you were away!

Hi Lisa. Thanks so much for the encouragement! I can't wait to learn whether I've been accepted or not. Thanks. After over 3 inches of rain and a few dreary, drizzly days following it, he is finally hoping to get back out in the field today. I hope it goes for him...farmers around here are desperate and really need to get those seeds in the ground! The memorial dedication your dad's working on sounds pretty amazing! It sounds like he's been working very hard on it. Mmm...bacon donuts! Where is ScatDaddy to see that? Those badly done taxidermy animals are sort of spooky! When I go into antique stores (always fun!) and find antique taxidermy, I sometimes want to avert my eyes. They take on a nightmarish quality with age it seems...big, popping, too-alive eyes and shriveled, shedding hides slowly edging away from the form underneath... *shudder*

Hi Linda. I'm with you about those old animals, girl! The old ones, while valuable, are eerie, aren't they?

In case you all wanted a bit of spring cheer, I thought I would post a few photos of our blossoms and flowers and landscapes here. Have a great day!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #141   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Oklahoma

Hi all - checking in late from the Oklahoma storm questions posted here - all is well with my family. Our house is 15 miles south of the Monday damage path. (About 7 miles from the lesser reported, but still severe Sunday tornado damage) A nephew and brother in law both have houses withing 500-600 yards of the damage, but are all ok and have homes intact.

Thanks for the prayers sent out way - lots of folks needing help right now and we're all pitching in where we can. It's been an unprecedented response in terms of private donations of goods. services, and money for this part of the country - thanks to all who have joined in!

Larry aka bigskysooner
  #142   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi Larry. I am so relieved to hear everyone is well in your family and that your homes have been spared. That is an answer to prayer. Hang in there.

#143   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Deb, my mom used to tell that joke all the time!

Lisa, OMG!!!! I'm running out and buying some bacon and cinnamon roll dough!! At the state fair every year they have a contest and the vendors all try to come up with an award winning fried food. (somebody actually did deep fried bubble gum ) Last year the winner was a bacon cinnamon roll. We got one but it was....meh.... THIS looks much, much yummier!!!!!
Thanks for the laugh...those poor animals were so.....creepyfunnysad!

Larry!
  #144   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Lord of the Arts
Timnath, CO

Hails from United States

For all you bacon fanatics - THE source for all things bacon:
http://mcphee.com/shop/bacon.html?p=2
I was thinking Bacon Air Freshener, but then there's the Bacon Frosting and everyone's favorite, Bacon Toothpaste!

We have a white rabbit in our back yard this morning. No sign as yet of Alice. Michael thinks it's cute. And it is but am waiting for tomorrow morning when everything within a foot of the ground is gone.... It may be time to chase it out.

Just got permission from a Taos photographer, Geraint Smith, to use his photos as refs. Have started one of the Apache Bosque and am totally stuck on something I usually have no problems with, some tall reedy grass. Am on my third scraping and nothing is working.
His photography just blew me away. http://www.geraintsmith.com/

This has to be a composite, but it is still amazing.
  #145   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Evening everyone. Hope you all have a good Memorial weekend to look forward to. No big plans here...probably will grill chicken, make party potatoes, maybe caramel cake...Mmm.

Hi Donna. How goes it?

Hi Linda. Wow, Geraint Smith's photography is amazing! How wonderful that he's given you permission to use his photos for your art. Have fun with that!

#146   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2013, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member
Northern CA

Hails from United States

Jenna, what time is lunch? Or I could just come over for caramel cake and coffee. Sounds delicious!

Going to try to take some pics of a few recent things I've finished. I'll post them if they turn out. Working on painting a small piece to submit to my church for review. They asked me to do a 48" x 48" painting, but want to make sure they like what I'm doing before going ahead with the big piece. We have an "artists group" of about 65 people at the church . Every different type of art represented. Lots of photographers, videographers, cartoonists, sculpters, and many others. I'm in the minority with my oils (but I'm also older than a most of the others). It's fun to be asked to do art projects for the church, though. Big church so the work gets seen by a few thousand people.

Glad to hear that no one from this group had any significant problems from the Oklahoma storms. So much devastation back there.

Enjoy the long weekend!
I just push the paint around while the painting pushes me.
  #147   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Hey Jenna

Not much goin on here, fixing to start a project for a friend....gonna paint a design on his motorcycle's gas tank. He's given me free reign which is good but he won't give me ANY ideas! It's a blank canvas he says. I wish people could understand the sort of pressure that puts on an artist instead of giving us SOME sort of direction o.O
  #148   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2013, 02:49 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! Happy Sunday!

Hi Rick. Does 2:00 PM work for you? I hope we can see those new paintings. What a great church group you have! I can't imagine being in the company of so many great artists each week! It must be a great fellowship in more ways than one. Congratulations on the painting you've been asked to do. What an honor!

Hi Donna. Congratulations on the bike tank. I would be a nervous wreck! You'll do a great job though. I agree with you; I'd rather have some instruction rather than that "Do whatever you want" option. It makes it much harder, doesn't it? Keep us posted on how it goes.

#149   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2013, 06:27 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

Jenna: Party potatoes? Don't even know what those are, but I'll see you at 2:00!!

Rick: I'd love to have a big group like that to work with in person. (Not that all my WC friends aren't fabulous, you all are, but there's something different about getting feedback "live".) There's a church in my area that offers something similar, although I've always wondered what they do with 2-D art(ists). Are people too saturated with TV/Internet these days to be able to just stand still and let framed art soak in? At least a sculpture, you can walk around the four sides and it keeps changing. I'd hate to think that drawings and paintings are considered mere decorations compared to art that "moves". Rick, I'm curious, what's your experience been with that?

Donna: Ooooh I hate that! You'll knock his socks off, but still. People have no idea Once you settle on something, we get to see it, right? Pretty please?

Linda: how exciting to have permission to work with such fabulous photos! The science geek in me got a huge kick out of this one. I'm actually glad my company does *not* send me to Vegas for this show... those who are inclined certainly do their share of partying, but they also WORK nonstop and it's really no vacation. Considering how much overtime we put in just getting ready for the show, I can't imagine having to do both! However, if your offer has anything to do with Red Rock Canyon, I might pack myself in the luggage next year

Deb, I got a kick out of that t-shirt as well, although math has never been my strong suit. I gave up on professional astronomy as a career precisely when I found out those guys spend as much time doing math as they do looking through telescopes!

Larry, and everyone else, so glad to hear you and yours are all safe. Most of my extended family is in a fairly tornado-ey part of Central Illinois (go Illini!) and my best friend lives in Ohio these days... it's not my favorite time of year! That had to be something, just being near that monstrosity.

Jenna's lovely blossom photos reminded me of this sketch, one of my first paintings as I came back to watercolor late in 2009:

Took all these early efforts and bound them into a sketchbook of sorts, and just looked through it again the day before you posted the pics. Small world, I guess!

My other half and I decided to blow off a few to-do's until tomorrow AM, so I have today to play and tomorrow afternoon as well. Wooo! We're both deep into our art at the moment, I just picked up board to mat my fair entry – who knows, might paint another one! – and he's hard at work recording. We share studio space, so I'm listening to his jazzy improvs now. He's going to set up a marinade later and tomorrow, it's homemade fajita fiesta!

Have a great, long weekend everyone, and don't forget take a moment to remember those who sacrificed so we could have it...
  #150   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

CK, you got it