Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil New Caran D’Ache Luminance Pencils- Pics & Review

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    HarvestMoon

Yes, just to help you guys :D I had to order the new Caran D’Ache Luminance 6901 Pencil set. They are Permanant and Light fast.

First, the pics….so you guys can relive the big moment with me….

Top Layer…

Second Layer:

Color Charts:

Top: Prismacolor, Luminance, Pablo

Lead Sizes…Luminance, Prisma, then Pable L to R

I just got these into my hot little hands….and I have to say I do in fact love them. Yes, they were expensive. But top notch art supplies just are…and pigment prices have already gone way up (over double for some) in the last year….

So here is my opinion…..
        The pencils come already sharpened (who has NOT worn out a pencil sharpener on a new set of Prismacolors?).

The pencils are FATTER in diameter than Prismacolors- and certainly larger than Pablos. The casing is made of California cedar, and they are round, not hexagonal. The wood feels very very nice in your hands. Not really sure about the lead size. They seem slightly less thick than Prismas, but thicker than the Pablos.

The Names of the pencils are difficult to read on the pencils….but since the only time I actually try to read the names are when I make color charts, or re-order, I think the names are in a truly wonderful place- since they go around the very END of the pencil….that means that after you have sharpened the pencil to a stub- you can STILL read the names!! Yipee!

The pencils are not colored on the casing…just a dot on the end. Makes it a bit harder to pick the correct color out of the pile, but I love the feel of the natural wood in my hand. To me, an ok tradeoff.

OK- so there are some jaw-dropping colors here that I doubt I can live without now….like Ultramarine Pink, Ultramarine Violet, and Light Malachite Green. Three Olive Brown colors that are going to be very useful for a lot of things (like the cactus I can’t find the right color for at the moment)…

Some of the names are- well, a bit strange. They are an odd combo of color names (Purplish Red), pigment names (Anthraquinoid Pink), and mineral names (Light Malachite Green). However, if you are like me and seldom actually think of the name unless reordering, I wouldn’t worry in the deep of the night about that either.

These pencils were engineered to be the most lightfast colors possible…..and I will have to take their word on that. But who wants to spend the hours it takes on a wonderful work of art, and have it fade out in a few years? Or worse, sell a piece to a client and have it fade. So that is a huge plus.

However, the main thing I love about these pencils is not the lightfast rating, but how they go down on paper. I used stonehenge paper for my charts. They go on very very smooth. Not ONE pencil had the lead snap, crumble, or anything else that was nasty in any way. They were smooth and wonderful, even with hard pressure.

A few crumbs did appear on the paper with heavy application. But they overlay like a dream. And best of all, absolutely no waxy buildup. The finish is matt, not ‘shiny’ which I really love….oh, and soft…very nice- perfect really…like a dream…but don’t seem to ‘wipe off’ as much as the Derwent Coloursofts…

My only real complaint- is that the enclosed color chart is totally unreadable (the print that is) for eyes that are over 40….this to me is pretty unexcusable. It would only take a bit more space to print something consumers could actually read. But my eyesight has always been akin to that of an armadillo, so perhaps I am being mean.

In short, I truly love these….they will not replace my Pablos or my Polys, but they will be a huge huge supplement to them. I only hope they continue to expand the range.

Harvest Moon 🐐

HarvestMoon

Need to add….that it seems Dick Blick is now out of the large set…have no idea how many they started with….but I hope that they will now see there is enough interest for them to carry open stock….

Also the pencils do fit in my pencil sharpener, but it is a tight fit! I am using an xacto…

my charts looked a bit off- the paper was white- this may be better…

Harvest Moon 🐐

Thanks Linda!
            I’ve added a copy of this thread to the CP Library and Library Index.

:)
            Judy

Judy - Moderator: Art History Forum and Reference Image Library

HarvestMoon

Thanks Judy….

Robert – yep, Christmas has come in August at my house….but then my hubby never ever has to go out and buy anything for me for any occasion…I just tell him I already have it covered….(and good thing I FORGOT) the box was coming today when I stumbled upon the ‘shoe store closing -big sale’ yesterday

Harvest Moon 🐐

ManedWolf

I am a seer: I say that before 31 Dec 2009 Cd’A will release a set of 114 colors…

*wags his tail*

BTW: “permanent” means that the leads are not water-soluble.

friesin

WOW

you did it !!! you ordered them, and I am so glad you share the pics with us !!!!!

well, does Santa Caran come to Germany in August, too :lol: ??????

Elen

Just to help us,aha… :D I am feeling so envious !!!! :envy: :)
                            They look marvellous ! :thumbsup: Thank you for posting this , now I know,what I want for my Christmas…

It might not look perfect,but it`s YOURS! :wink2:

HarvestMoon

ManedWolf- oops- thanks for the def. of Permanent- did not occur to me that meant the water solubility….(I do LOVE the water soluble C D’A’s)….can’t wait for the bigger set of these though….another year plus…..about the time it will take my husband to calm down over yet another dickblick box I expect….

Friesin- I am sure you can make a deal with Santa Caran in Germany- in fact you are pretty close to the source right?

Elen- very happy you enjoyed the photos….

I have been using these colors side by side with the Pablos….they are for the most part very different colors…and seem to be- I don’t know- more natural looking, more earthy or something….they really are a dream to lay down…

Harvest Moon 🐐

friesin

….they are for the most part very different colors…and seem to be- I don’t know- more natural looking, more earthy or something….they really are a dream to lay down…

do the colours resemble those of Derwents’ Coloursofts?

HarvestMoon

Friesin- actually, they do seem to resemble the Derwent Coloursofts- but the Derwent 76 set has more bright colors in it…I am sure the C-D’s have fewer brights because of how fugitive most are….

I love Coloursofts too…but have noticed a wierd thing with them…when I have my hand- or heck, even a piece of paper over the work with my hand on the paper to try to prevent smearing, the color seems to lift off of the paper….don’t know if anyone else has noticed that….

And now my tabby cat has spilled a glass of water my daughter left on the table all over the CP picture I have been working on for close to a week- and was almost finished with- not to mention the pencils- I should have known better….:cat:

Harvest Moon 🐐

vanity

Thank you for the colour chart. I guess my pencil addciction will not be cured anytime soon ;p

https://www.instagram.com/clay_and_ink/
                                            https://www.deviantart.com/whitewillows
                                            Formerly vanity

HarvestMoon

Vanity – you are quite welcome! and laughing…I suspect most of us have a pencil addiction….

Harvest Moon 🐐

kimmykay

Ok its been awhile since I’ve posted but I’m soooo excited I had to share my news. My wonderful, best husband in the world orded me a 76ct. set of Luminance colored pencils. I have been going on and on about how much I wanted to try them when they finally start selling them here. Figured I’d buy them as open stock a few at a time ….. but I came home from work tonight and he surprised me with the order form.True I wont get them till September but I’m so happy I’m gonna get to try them…. ok I’ll stop doing my happy dance now just had to share :)

friesin

My wonderful, best husband in the world orded me a 76ct. set of Luminance colored pencils.

oopsss– have you got MY husband ??????:eek:
                                                        I ve always been convinced that it was me who had the best husband alive ..:lol:
                                                        well… however…. mine quite certainly did not order the Luminances for me…:envy:

Congratulation to both your husband and the pencils;) and would you perhaps let us know when you got them and how you like them ?:wave:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘New Caran D’Ache Luminance Pencils- Pics & Review’ is closed to new replies.