Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Darkroom Old double decker

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Quint

Here’s a relic:

Quint Nikon Coolpix 990, Nikon Coolpix P60, Nikon D7000, Nikkor, 35/f1.8, Nikkor 18-140, Nikon SB700 Speedlight.

Dreamin

That is a great relic!! So bright. Love it! It really looks a tad beat up….wonder why it looks like it had a load of bulls on the inside that butted the heck out of it?? Is it still in running condition? Great find!

Natalie

Quint,
            That is a pretty special find Quint. loving the bright red colors sitting in all that complementary green. I think I would have cropped a little off the right to the point where that white building in the right side background is gone. Then I would crop the bottom to just below the engine’s side tire is, practically touching the tire. The result is that your bus gets zoomed in more, making it even more prominent and is now on the right 2/3rds side of the composition (no longer centered). And to maintain the same dimensions as your original, take a small amount off the top.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
            Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Quint

Thanks. This place has started to be my largest card selling venue only second to tourist stops to the main Tillamook Cheese Factory up the road. Lorell, I want to keep the building to the right in the picture since it is the main Blue Heron building. This place has a petting zoo, many old relics, wine bar, food, etc. A favorite place for locals and tourists. Hereis the image I use for the card they sell there:

Quint Nikon Coolpix 990, Nikon Coolpix P60, Nikon D7000, Nikkor, 35/f1.8, Nikkor 18-140, Nikon SB700 Speedlight.

Anonymous

Well spotted and very nicely processed. :thumbsup:

Quint

Thanks, Dave.

Lorell, how’s this?

I like that better but it’s just a personal preference . I wish you didn’t have the white edging on the left hand side.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
                        Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Quint

:-) :-):-)

Yeckolo

My personal preference would be to go with the original cropping. The white building in the back on the right is out of focus enough to not be distracting, and cropping in close on the right and bottom, while technically closer to a rule of thirds composition, makes the frame feel heavy and bloated. The red truck is such a presence in the photo, I think having it centered with some room to breath around it works better here.

What bugs me a bit more than the framing is the blur that was applied in post production around the bus. There are areas that make it very clear that this was done after the fact, and it’s a bit distracting to me. Around the front tires, for example.

I’d like to see the background blurred a bit more subtly using a large aperture lens to get some natural bokeh and separation; the bus is certainly far enough from the buildings to achieve that. (Though I doubt anyone will really notice when they’re buying it as a card, this is just me being super picky.)

But overall, it’s quite nice. The colors really pop.

Quint

You have a good eye, Yeck. I should take more shots with wider apertures to see what the natural bokeh does in comparison. I’ve been toying with the post method just recently and seeing how it fits in any particular photo.
                                    Thanks for the comments and welcome to the forum.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.