Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink An invitation to post your P&I sketches, doodles, scratchings and scribbles …….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 858 total)
  • Author
    ………. with, or without, the addition of colour and brush!

In other words, this is a place to share our creative, visual thoughts or sub-conscious markings! They are often our most private musings which, for me, might happen in the sketch-book, on the margins of newspapers or on the sides of crosswords:lol:

Where do you make your marks?:clear:

If you can scan or photograph them, and are willing to share them, please post them in this thread.

N.B.It’s non-judgemental, non-critical because such sketches are expressions of our ‘workings out’, our ideas, of our thoughts …….. but might give us in-sight to how other minds work!

When you post, if possible, give us a little idea of where you made the sketches, how long they took, any special thoughts you’d like to share – or just post the scribbles!

Let’s share some fun!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

For instance – this was a 10 mins sketch, directly from the screen in an attempt to judge proportion quickly! Sketchbook. Black uni-pin I think.

.. and I can’t spell tortoiseshell:o :o

… and these in the Sunday Paper! Ballpoint.

… and these, on a piece of scrap paper left on the drawing board!
    the paper is 10″ x 1.5″, so they’re small! Black uni-pin again.

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Anonymous

Nice , you’ve caught the feeling of the cat well & miraculously made good use of the puzzles section ! they now look interesting & fun !
        Mike

C’mon Mike – search the files for yours!;):)

Cheers, Maureen

Anonymous

C’mon Mike – search the files for yours!;):)

Ha ! I never keep sketches , they lie around for a couple of days & I throw them out ,usually I do them on the back of junk mail. I do keep any “Serious” drawings but they’re no good for here !

EDIT- No hang on, I’ve got this lying around intending to develop the idea, it’s been lying around a month or so.
            the idea was to draw with no lines at all , it started of with the doodling on the top right while I watched the telly & then I grabbed a old masters book off the shelf & penciled in a figure from it ,after that moved over to the table to pen it in.
            Unfortunately a computer screen cannot handle this technique at the limited 800 dpi but maybe you can see a little of what I was doing.
            I may not bother with further investigation of it but it intrigued me for the 45 mins the whole process took.
            This is another important use of sketching investigate & experiment.
            Cheers Mike

artastic

Hey maureen, just found this, and with all the other posting, have been a bit absent from wetcanvas, except for the WDe
                I have found a true love of ink sketching, urban sketching, and have a small group of coffee house sketchers going
                Here are a couple we did last Tuesday of a horse sculpture I dragged over to our table

C&C always welcome -Bonnie-
                http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/04-Jan-2017/104250-banner.jpg

“It’s possible to have an awesome life, but it’s up to ourselves to do it.” Weekly Drawing Event, Want to host a WDE? Hosts needed starting now.

Mike – I like that idea and I do think it works well ……… keeping all horizontal lines forces one to consider quality/thickness, density and how to differentiate the tones needed.

Hi Bonnie – glad you found this! … know how you like your pen sketches!
                Did you add some water after the lines?

(PS – I bet you loaded these from a tablet ;) – they’re the same:lol:)

Cheers, Maureen

katwalk

Earlier last summer I thought it might be a good idea for me to try and improve my animal drawing skills by drawing some from life. Which means quick drawings and more of gesture/line drawings than doing studied poses. I was also trying to improve my memory of how animals look. Not sure how successful I was but here are some pages from the sketchbook I used.

The subjects were mostly mallard ducks and canada geese in my local park, every now and then I would include a sketch of a visitor to the park. :) Since these all had to be done quickly with no time to erase I used a technical type pen for the drawings. I think a Copic Multiliner, .05, but it could have been one of my Technical pens also.

Anonymous

Yes I can see very well that they are Mallard & Canada geese , the shapes & attitudes are unmistakable, despite the brevity of the sketch.
                        Now that’s sketching !
                        Mike

Blah

I am glad to see that this thread is off to a good start.

Maureen…your cat sketches are lovely! I also like your clever use of the printed stuff on the newspaper.

Mike…your straight line sketches are very effective. I did one years ago and it required a lot of concentration, but mine was not an original idea.

Recently I went on a heritage tour and visited a famous temple. On the way out I was a few minutes ahead of my group and found the time to sketch some of the visitors to the temple taking a break before leaving the place.

Blah

Kathy…I have tried to sketch birds and small animals a few time and found them very difficult subjects. They are always on the move. You have caught their essence very nicely.

Bonnie…What a clever idea to sketch a sculpture of a horse and that too sitting indoors. Perhaps that is what I should try. :)

Assured lines there Blah – I like the ‘immediacy’ of the sketches too.

Cheers, Maureen

Blah

I have a long holiday weekend since Deepavali (the festival of lights, falls on Monday night/Tuesday morning. I was supposed to go out sketching this morning with a bunch of friends but we had to call it off. Chennai is getting some much needed rains. Therefore I may not be able to sketch outdoors but I plan to do a lot of sketching and painting all the same over the next three days.
                                    This quick sketch was just to get me started.

Anonymous

You’ve caught her so well in that sketch Balaji, I love your looseness.
                                        Mike

Good warm-up sketch Balaji:)

Cheers, Maureen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 858 total)
                                      • The topic ‘An invitation to post your P&I sketches, doodles, scratchings and scribbles …….’ is closed to new replies.