Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing How do you mix greens?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 167 total)
  • Author
    CanvasSky

I know, this keeps coming up. It’s the greenest time of year where I live, and probably a lot of other places too, and I’m having no end of trouble getting good, bright but natural greens in my plein-air painting. I have both the blue and yellow shades of Phthalo, along with chrome oxide, and so far I’ve mostly been mixing these with other things for my greens. I get better results from chrome oxide in general, although sometimes I want something a little less opaque.

I know I’ll get different advice from every quarter, but in general, what is your approach to creating a good green?

Carissa

Robin

I like to play with black and yellows.

Robin

You’ll probably have better luck with this in the colour forum: https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

It’s going to differ a lot based on technique and medium.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

CanvasSky

Yes, sorry! I posted this right before I went to bed last night. Can a mod move it?

Carissa

it’sALLart

Usually some fresh romaine is good mixed with arugula and spinach. Sometimes I throw in a bit of radicchio just for color.

I don’t like iceberg, as it has no vitamins or fiber at all.

ARCross

Usually some fresh romaine is good mixed with arugula and spinach. Sometimes I throw in a bit of radicchio just for color.

This post needs a “like” function. :)

Use Her Name

I would also put a bit of lacinato kale in it. Seems bizarre, but you would be surprised…

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

it’sALLart

I’ll have to try that, I like kale cooked, never had it raw.

:wave:

Use Her Name

I’ll have to try that, I like kale cooked, never had it raw.

:wave:

Kale is better raw than cooked. Try to bruise it a bit with olive oil.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

CanvasSky

Tee hee. So can threads be moved?

Carissa

Bringer

Hi,

I voted on the 4th one.
                                            Usually I add a red and then maybe something else.
                                            One of these days, I’ll have to buy a tube of chrome green; maybe I’ve bought one already and can’t remember. It seems that this green is quite good for trees and bushes.

José

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.

robertsloan2

Like everything else, it always depends on that painting. Also how I mix greens varies from literal mixing to glazing colors over each other or scumbling over each other. I like different mediums and techniques. Rather than sticking to one method, I enjoy experimenting in every painting. Also if I do mix greens from colors that aren’t tube green, it’s sometimes yellow and black as often as yellow and blue, or it’s orange and blue, or brown and blue, it varies on that too.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                                                Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                                                blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Tee hee. So can threads be moved?

Yup, I moved it for you. If you ever need a thread moved again, you can hit the little red triangle with the exclamation mark on the top right of your post and type in the box that you would like a thread moved. :)

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                                                Find me on Instagram
                                                Find me on Facebook

Anonymous

some never use tube greens?
                                                    not me, then I would never get to have fun with viridian, cad green, perm green light, phthalos etc!

WFMartin

I haven’t really used a tubed green for any serious work in, perhaps, 20 years.

Except for a few, infrequent, test, or instructional purposes,I always mix my own greens with a primary Yellow, and any number of colors available on my palette. I have learned that when I have Cadmium Yellow Light on my palette, the color “Green”, just seems to occur naturally, and it’s difficult to NOT create green, or at least a Green-ish color whenever Cadmium Yellow is part of the mix.

Fr. Ultramarine Blue, Thalo Blue, Prussian Blue, Ivory Black, Mars Black, Lamp Black, and even Burnt and Raw Umber, mixed with Cadmium Yellow Light, will create SOME sort of Greenish color, and I use them all.

However, for my usual work, I often use W & N Transparent Yellow 653, mixing it with other colors for deep, dark values of green, and mixing it with white for lighter colors and values. I consider it to be very close in its location to true, Primary Yellow on the color wheel, by scientific placement. It makes green quite wonderfully.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                                        https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 167 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.