WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2012, 01:17 AM

Wet-on-wet colours fade away, not bright enough...

Hello all, this is my first time here and I'd like to wish you a good new year.

Sorry about the other two posts, it was the only way I could insert links in this post.

I have been watching Bob Ross' joy of painting, and I've been painting for about one week now.

My problem is :

when I try to copy his paintings, my colours are not bright enough, everything is almost the same coluors, and when I try to highlight trees for example, my highlights don't even show...I've tried paint thinner but I still don't get his results... these are some of my paintings:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/395164_2970709867674_1259554232_33304629_847880106 _n.jpg

And:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/379059_2969867526616_1259554232_33304179_129712459 4_n.jpg

As you can see, the highlights are really dull, they don't show, when I try to highlight, the dark colours underneath just eat all the colour...

I am using burnt umber for the darks, lemon yellow and sap green for highlights, is this the cause?

Thank you

Paulo
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2012, 02:28 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Wet-on-wet colours fade away, not bright enough...

Welcome aboard. For the highlights to stand out properly in the Bob Ross method, a few thoughts:

-first make sure the base color is dark enough or the highlight light enough
-the highlight color might need to be thinned down a little bit with thinner first (but not too much)...it should be a little softer than the color underneath
-use a lot of the highlight color...really load up the brush and re-load the highlight brush often as you go rather than trying to force the remaining paint out of the brush
-for the cleanest & brightest highlights, make sure the brush is clean - if it has picked up too much of the color underneath, rinse that 'mud' out before continuing
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
S.E. Missouri

Hails from United States

Another thought about the Bob Ross wet-on-wet method..... if you are using liquid white, it needs to be a very thin coat or the white will indeed lighten your colors. The liquid clear also needs to be thin it but does not lighten the colors as does the white. As stated above, highlights need to be made with slightly thinner paint on top of thicker paint and perhaps brighter? Bob made it look so easy a pre-schooler could do it but it does take practice to get the techniques down. Good luck, you are doing well.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Lord of the Arts

first you ve done a beautiful painting! You re very talented!

Quote:
my colours are not bright enough, everything is almost the same coluors, and when I try to highlight trees for example, my highlights don't even show...
I think your base is too wet, your next layer wont stick, wait a little time (1 hour?) and it becomes dryer and you can add highlights

remember:

colours in front are the brightest and darkest, farest away they become lighter and cooler (just more blue in it), taking this into account, the 3 large green evergreen trees look to have the same distance.
if you ll make the foreground a tiny bit darker and brighter in colour, you ve solved your problem and you ll get more 3D

-the door must be a bit lighter

- dont let your lake end up in the corner, but about 1/3 of the canvas,

wb
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2012, 07:49 AM

I like the comments. They should help you allot. here's one I'm working on now.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Lord of the Arts
Australia Sydney

Hails from Australia

I have his many DVd's also a think avery light touch when placing the highlights as to not pic up the paint underneath.
querin
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 06:19 PM

For some reason your first link isn't working for me D: