Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing PY 216 (RTZ pigment) & PY 227 (NTP yellow)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    zardoz71

Since I startet with egg tempera paintings and moving more and more away from oil paints I ended up makeing even for watercolor my own paints from diverse pigment suppliers. So after checking some pigment list on colors I have not tried before like PY 184 (bismuth vanadate) I found another interesting choice with PY 216 (rutile tin zinc) Kremer has it under the name of Hokkaido-Orange.

AFAIK Schmincke has the orange version for Oil Paints and the yellow variant is sold for watercolor from Winsor&Newton and
        found even in the database from Handprint: https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/watery.html#PY216

I was looking up the manufacture and found that the company Shepherd has another yellow pigment in combination with it under
        the name of NTP Yellow PY 227 (niobium tin pyrochlore)

Except from some tech papers like this one here: https://www.pcimag.com/articles/97275-pushing-the-edge-of-the-durable-color-envelope I don’t see much of this pigment.

[…]
        The RTZ pigment’s increased chromaticity makes it an excellent replacement for color matches containing PBr24 and organics, and allows for an increase in the color space that is achievable with standard colored titanates. RTZ orange also makes an excellent pigment to blend with organic pigments to improve opacity and weathering. Another interesting use for RTZ orange is in blends with bismuth vanadate (PY184) to shift them from green-shade to redder-shade yellows
        The NTP yellow is a bright red-shade yellow similar in shade to middle chrome versions of PY34. NTP yellow is much more chromatic than standard titanates like nickel titanate (PY53) and chromium titanate (PBr24). It falls between bismuth vanadate (PY184) and orange versions RTZ (PY216) and is close to the redder shades of benzimidazolone (PY154). While falling in color space between these other pigments, it is not a replacement for those products because of its generally higher performance and being based on niobium. Plotting its place in color space with C* and h* values it can be seen that it falls in an advantageous color position (Figure 4).

For watercolor I like a combination of PY 129, PY 154 and PY 110 so far. I got additional pigments of PY 54 and PBr 24 but just looking at the list that Kremer offers, the possibilities are endless :eek:

So does anyone use this pigments and if yes what do you think of them?

Richard P

I’ve used Schminke Norma Chrome Yellow Hue Light (PY216 & PY53) which is a dullish yellow. But it’s not as opaque as I hoped and is also a series 3 paint like their cadmiums. It does seem to have more chroma than PBr24 and PY42/PY43 but it’s expensive.

zardoz71

I’ve used Schminke Norma Chrome Yellow Hue Light (PY216 & PY53) which is a dullish yellow. But it’s not as opaque as I hoped and is also a series 3 paint like their cadmiums. It does seem to have more chroma than PBr24 and PY42/PY43 but it’s expensive.

Thank you, I was hopeing that PY 216 in masstone would be more opaque. The prices for pigments and tubes are quite tricky. Just a quick overview how the market is here.

Prices for the 100g pigment have a huge range from a couple shops I checked here. 100g = 3,5274oz & 1€ = $1,14 prices are roughly

Schmincke list PY3 is 9€, PY 153 16€ and PY 154 is 26€ followed by PBr24 and PY 53 are both at 29€. The cheapest Cadmium yellow light PY 35 at ~29€ the next few follow at 60€ with PO 20 and another PY 35.

Sennelier offers pigment for Cadmiums have range from PY 35 for 16€ to PO 20 for 21€ the have a huge range of cadmiums hues with PY1/PY3 that are not realy cheaper. Earth pigments are cheaper at 7-9€ and some outline would be Aureolin for 122€

Kremer list is much larger

Some earth pigments PY 42/PY43 are dirt cheap at 4€, some cost a bit more. PBr 24 and PY 53/PY 159 are 5-6€
                Midrange 10-16€ starts with PY3, PY74, PY83, PY 184 followed 17-24€ range for PY 216 and PY 139
                The Kobalts PY40 and quite a few other yellow pigments are all in the 25-30€ range like PY 109, PY 110, PY 151
                Some cost more like PY 129 for 40€ and the real expansive stuff is PY 39 with 148€

The shops in the US are not that different, wide range of prices for pigments

Naturalpigments has Earth at $6-8, chrome PY34 is $10, PY 40 is $17 the cadmiums are at ~$28 amd the more expansive stuff like PY 41 cost $75

Sinopia has earth pigments for $8-10, brilliant yellow (hansa) is at $28 and PY 150 cost $40

The are way more pigment sellers like Cornelissen in UK or Zecchi in Italy.

Richard P

PY 216 alone might be more opaque, but it also leans heavily towards yellow from what I could tell. Unfortunately I think PY53 is only semi-opaque so a mix has less opacity than other earth yellows.

zardoz71

PY 216 alone might be more opaque, but it also leans heavily towards yellow from what I could tell. Unfortunately I think PY53 is only semi-opaque so a mix has less opacity than other earth yellows.

Pigment PY 216 seems to have 2 variations. A yellow that is used in e.g. Winsor Turner’s Yellow (649) and the Orange Version Kremer sells.

Clean Bright Yellow to Dull Orange; moderately staining with good tinting strength
                        [url]http://www.artiscreation.com/yellow.html#PY216[/url]

I have not found PY227 but stumble over PY 213 so I used both for some watercolor swatches.

PO 71: Transparant Orange; Schmincke
                        PY 216; Hokkaido-Orange (RTZ), Kremer
                        PY 110; Yellow Orange (Isoindolinone); Schmincke
                        PY 154; Pure Yellow (Benzimidazolone); Schmincke
                        PY 213; Isoindolinon Yellow; Kremer
                        PY 129; Green Gold; Winsor & Newton

Kremer listed the pigment as opaque but I would say that both are semi opaque in masstone. I would not have expected that PY 216 is even a darker orange then PO 71 that still counts as a yellow orange that leans heavy to the red from a mixing standpoint. PY 213 is a brilliant yellow that I would prefer over PY 154.

Pigments vertical columns
                        1. PB 27; Prussian Blue; Rublev Pigment
                        2. PB 15:1; Phthalo Blue; Schmincke
                        3. PB 29; French Ultramarine; Schmincke
                        4. PV 23; Schmincke (Dioxazine) Violet; Schmincke
                        5. — Jadeite genuine; Daniel Smith
                        6. PR 188; Scarlet Lake; Winsor & Newton

PY 213; Isoindolinon Yellow; Kremer
                        PY 108; Pyramid-Yellow medium; Kremer
                        PY 216; Hokkaido-Orange (RTZ), Kremer

lorianikins

I have a tube of Utrecht watercolor paint with PY216, named “English Yellow.” According to the handprint website, this pigment in watercolors is generally a “lightfast, semiopaque, moderately staining, light valued, dull orange yellow.”

zardoz71

I have a tube of Utrecht watercolor paint with PY216, named “English Yellow.” According to the handprint website, this pigment in watercolors is generally a “lightfast, semiopaque, moderately staining, light valued, dull orange yellow.”

Yeah thats the old version. You can see this by the swatches by Désiré Herman http://www.desireherman.com/2018/02/all-about-yellows-commented-swatches-by-pigments.html or Jane Blundell https://www.janeblundellart.com/yellow-watercolour-swatches.html under Turner’s Yellow.

However from the link above in the first post the did work on the chemistries on this pigment.

One of the chemistries is the recent commercialization and improvement of CI Pigment Yellow 216 and Orange 82, more conversationally called rutile tin zinc (RTZ) pigments…..RTZ pigments were first developed in the 1980s. Improvements have come in the product class by increasing the redness to change the color from that of a red-shade yellow to more of an orange hue. Recent modifications have enabled the achievement of a true orange shade.
                                [url]https://www.pcimag.com/articles/97275-pushing-the-edge-of-the-durable-color-envelope[/url]

And that got me interested because Kremer sells a PY 216 that is very orange looking so different from what I have seen before.

yellowfinger

Only artist paint manufacturer I’ve seen use this pigment so far –
                                    https://www.maimeri.it/en/products/watercolour/maimeri-blu/permanent-yellow-deep-1604114.html

I haven’t seen an actual tube of this colour yet.

zardoz71

Only artist paint manufacturer I’ve seen use this pigment so far –
                                        [URL=https://www.maimeri.it/en/products/watercolour/maimeri-blu/permanent-yellow-deep-1604114.html]https://www.maimeri.it/en/products/watercolour/maimeri-blu/permanent-yellow-deep-1604114.html[/URL]

I haven’t seen an actual tube of this colour yet.

Ah yes perfect. Not a watercolor brand that we have around here. Just ordered a tube from the UK. I think I have stock up enough yellow pigments/tubes that will last me through this decade :lol:

yellowfinger

Ah yes perfect. Not a watercolor brand that we have around here. Just ordered a tube from the UK. I think I have stock up enough yellow pigments/tubes that will last me through this decade :lol:

Actually, they have some really interesting pigments in their newly re-formulated range. A couple I question the use of though, but still interesting.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.