Home Forums Explore Media Airbrush Making Stencils and Using Stencils

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Red_Prince

Hi,
        I’m really new at airbrushing. I need to have stencils. So I guess I need to know the best material to make them out of, and the best way to cut them.

I’m thinking of applying the paint to very smooth surfaces (not canvas or brick) and I need very sharply delineated lines (hard edges).

I also need to know if there is some material for stencils that has some kind of temporary stickiness to hold the stencil exactly in place, or how to keep multiple stencils in registration.

The stencil only has to be used once. I don’t plan on making multiple prints of the same images.

I’m also not adverse to having the stencils commercial cut somewhere.

Thanks!

fedetony

What surface are you planning to use?
            I use normal masking tape and cut it in the shapes i need.
            If it’s paper then you need a wallpaper masking tape that its delicate with the paper.
            If you want stencils that you reuse several times, then transparent polypropylene will do. You get it in very thin film and then cut it with a xacto knife…

Federico Garcia
            My Blog
            C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

niglo99

For one off use, “Frisket” film masking (a low tack version of the sticky one side clear plastic used for covering school books) – you only need to use this for the immediate area you’re actually painting (for the rest use paper, plastic sheet, masking tape, etc.- save money!).
                Cut in situ (carefully!) with a scalpel to a line drawn on the surface.

Common or garden masking tape isn’t as good, but the car guys use plastic versions which can actually follow a gentle(ish) curve.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.