Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The weekending June 29

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

sketches from the two life drawing groups this week.

First time life modelling for our male model, he was a bit scared to begin with he said, not because of the nudity but because he was unsure if he could inspire. I think its another thing ticked on his bucket list

Mac

and 60 minute and 40 minute portrait sketches

Mac

I am constantly amazed by your skills, Mac! Wonderful works!

bethany
    moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
    website www.bethanyart.com
    My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

this is terrific practice for me Bethany, and it looks like I’m going to need it, I’ve accepted an offer from a friend at the Royal Art Society to teach portraits there next term on Wednesday’s … and just looked on their Fb page and discovered who I’m replacing :eek:

Mac

123harry

Congratulations on the new job, Mac! They’ve got themselves a winner!
        The portraits here are lovely. So simply done yet so lifelike. The figures are excellent of course. My pick of the bunch are the red crayons starting with the kneeling girl.

C&C always welcome.
        Instagram harry.hamill

Your work just spirals upwards Mac. I’m with Harry on the red crayon work. You deserve to be teaching and from what I glean from your posts I can imagine you have a great teaching style. I tried to find the facebook account but failed so cant comment on the previous teacher. You are an inspiration to this group :)

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
        More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
        Instagram
        https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

thanks Harry and David, the red sketches are colour pencil first, then switched to Conte.

re the teaching, I think I’ll emphasize the difference of enjoyment and growth with academic training… (Dave I’ve posted something in the Mod forum)

Mac

joe1It

Mac are all extraordinary jobs.
            Regarding your role as a teacher, it will be fine.
            Your students are really very lucky that they can learn a lot, it will be a very formative and beautiful experience.

- C & C welcome ( comments and criticisms highly appreciated)

— NOT allowed for Al training

Mac, I wonder whether your teaching style is anything like this, I’m still trying to recover… ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqvQLGsfY_s

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
            Instagram

Joe thank you for your constant positive feedback

not quite what I had in mind David!
            I went into the RAS yesterday to have a look as I hadn’t been there before and said my approach would be something like this …

‘This course will be more ‘What they don’t tell you in Art School!’ than a formal academic approach, and the goal of the course will be to enjoy the experience of developing and improving individual skills and confidence in the art of Portraiture.

It will not be limited to one particular method or style but the intent will be to build competence, confidence and originality in being able to portray a likeness in a variety of mediums and methods.

The focus will be on developing confidence to paint ‘alla prima’ with short poses but will also include developing a more finished result over longer poses.’

… ultimately I guess it will depend on them having enough enrolments, I was going to do a workshop for another Art Society once which was cancelled due to a lack of numbers, and from what I gather that seems to be a general trend in recent times… we’ll see what happens!

Mac

That is wonderful news, Mac- they are lucky to have you… I hope it goes ahead!

bethany
            moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
            website www.bethanyart.com
            My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

But dont forget Mac, you have to crumple the paper first ;)

Instagram

llawrence

Crumpling newsprint before drawing: on the list of things to try!

Congratulations, Mac. You deserve the post!

I often crumple my pictures AFTER I’ve drawn them ;)

Instagram

thanks, Bethany a little daunting considering the history and prestige of the place, and my lack of profile! but I do feel there is something I can contribute in this area.

David & Louis, yes I’ve heard of the crumpling of drawings to consider the problem of ‘preciousness’ with drawings… but this is a new one to me!

Mac

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.