Home Forums Explore Subjects Aviation Art two new paintings

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    napier

two paintings I am working up at the moment. First one is 72x54inches – Egersund attack March 1945. The second one 36x24inches BofB scene

[ATTACH]861613[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]861614[/ATTACH]

Trumper

:) Looking good already ,i love watching the WIP ‘s :)

NeilF92

The Beau one looks good with the dynamic slant of the horizon . Be interesting to see how the light turns out in the Hurri one .

Sparticus

2 very good starts. I like the under painting on the Beaufighter. And the purple skies.

https://spartidesign.myportfolio.com

KarenESP

Both excellent pieces of work. Lots of action especially in the Hurricane. Ta John

napier

After 6 weeks off painting while being in the States I start 3 days ago working on this painting. The sky has been put in but would like to refine it later and will now start to look at the hills. Rather daunting doing a painting 75x54inches.[ATTACH]863599[/ATTACH]

NeilF92

It’s always a difficult stage ,especially on such a large canvas Don . I’ve got a Shackleton at much the same and can’t seem to summon the will to commit to the steps that will make it come to life .
                                Great sky you’ve got there , very natural.

napier

almost finished the underpainting the background of this painting

[ATTACH]864288[/ATTACH]

give you an idea of the size of the painting

[ATTACH]864289[/ATTACH]

napier

Haven’t looked at this for sometime but got back into it two days ago. I have to put in 8 more aircraft and the do the glazing. Hopefully have it finished by the end of the month.

[ATTACH]867107[/ATTACH]

tmwilliams

Looking good. I like seeing the size – it really helps one to appreciate the scope of the project. I have yet to find the courage to paint something this big. Largest I have done is 20×24.

Thomas

Trumper

That is some size painting.I guess it is critical that you keep stepping well back to keep an eye on it.I bet is is too easy to get engrossed in details and literally forget the bigger picture.

napier

Thanks for the comments. The size quite often makes you question “what the hell did I take this on” I quite often take it out side the studio and take a look at it a distance just to see what has to change or correct.

vegaskip

That is some size painting.I guess it is critical that you keep stepping well back to keep an eye on it.I bet is is too easy to get engrossed in details and literally forget the bigger picture.

That’s not big.! This is BIG!
                                                        My biggest painting I painted this wall in the Construction Camp while working at the building of the Sullom Voe Oil Terminal on the Shetland islands in the early 1980’s. It is a very old photo and shows HMS BOUNTY at Tahiti. I used a litre tin of White Emulsion with several ‘Tester’ pots to mix the colours. So I suppose it was watercolour. It took a week of evenings about 18 hours and I was ‘paid’ 8 X 40oz bottles of spirits.( they didn’t last very long, I had some very thirsty mates! I often wonder what became of it as the two camps were pulled down when the terminal was completed.
                                                        [ATTACH]867193[/ATTACH]
                                                        Only thing I did bigger would be the Pendant numbers on Ark Royal and Victorious, but they’re not as ‘pretty’

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.