WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#151   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Re: Practice from live model thread - 2012

Always a pleasure seeing your new posts Sascha.
  #152   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:28 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Just came over to catch up on your paintings- what a lot of fine portraits, Sacha! I see real progress- love the colour and the wonderful strong faces.

#153   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 AM
Enthusiast
Italy

Hails from Italy

Sascha, I admire the expressive power of your paintings.

Gianni
  #154   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:02 AM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

Great work and much improvement Sascha!

To whomever was commenting on Glen Orbik - I think Glen draws almost every day - whether he is teaching his classes or working on an illustration gig. His design sense is quite clear. I learned so much from him while studying with him! He has been studying the figure and drawing and painting since the early 1980's..

-Kevin
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kevinwueste
  #155   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:28 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Sascha ........!!!!! What a babe !!!! Meaning who's that good,looking guy staring back at me .... I haven't been able to log in for days that ' and its been maddness here , but I'm glad it let today ....it's so nice to see and to say your growing beyond words ...

Huge day today , I painting from the live model, you've inspired me to just throw caution to wind ...ill see what I come up with for four hours ....maybe some of you can rub off on little me !! ...keep me in your thoughts as I touch down ...
  #156   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2012, 08:28 PM

I've just gone through from page 1-11 looking at all your posts and I have to say what incredible progress you've achieved in that short span of time, and in such confined space! Your diligent, dedication and passion towards painting is just admiring. You've inspired me to paint alot more .

/Oanh
  #157   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2013, 05:27 PM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Sascha, I brought this thread up again because I feel it really deserves it. Yr such an inspiration to many on here. And where have you been lately anyway. I have always loved yr work, and please give us more.
  #158   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Carol !

Thank you for reminding me of this thread. I'm still at it practising painting ... but I admit I neglected WC in the past months . It is quite hard fitting the painting practice and a full time job together and keep up with the forum.
Also I felt guilty since I got plenty of replies but never having the time to post much on other members threads.

But here is one from live model I just finished half an hour ago:

40x50 cm, 5 hours minus pauses.
I build a sort of baldaquin over the model stand from tracing paper to get a very soft light which looks more natural and with different types of lamps I can get warmer light (like for this one) or very cool light if I want - but I found with artificial light a bit of a warmer light suits most models better. I decided for a classic "all black except the face" composition today.

While probably it is not completely horrible I already see plenty of issues. The eye distance is too wide a little - that is less obvious with asian models I feel - but still a mistake, especially since I measure carefully but then lost track. Also the nose is a little too short - or the eyes too low in the sockets, not quite sure. Also the angles of the feature are not a 100%. Also I did not keep the colors clean - having cools and warms in places where they don't belong - makes her look like if she just came home working a long day in a coalmine or something. It still is a good likeness, but not perfect. The upper highlight on the nose landed on the wrong side I just see etc. etc.

I'll try to post a little more often now.

#159   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2013, 01:53 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustonpaper
But here is one from live model I just finished half an hour ago:

40x50 cm, 5 hours minus pauses.
I build a sort of baldaquin over the model stand from tracing paper to get a very soft light which looks more natural and with different types of lamps I can get warmer light (like for this one) or very cool light if I want - but I found with artificial light a bit of a warmer light suits most models better. I decided for a classic "all black except the face" composition today.

While probably it is not completely horrible I already see plenty of issues. The eye distance is too wide a little - that is less obvious with asian models I feel - but still a mistake, especially since I measure carefully but then lost track. Also the nose is a little too short - or the eyes too low in the sockets, not quite sure. Also the angles of the feature are not a 100%. Also I did not keep the colors clean - having cools and warms in places where they don't belong - makes her look like if she just came home working a long day in a coalmine or something. It still is a good likeness, but not perfect. The upper highlight on the nose landed on the wrong side I just see etc. etc.

I'll try to post a little more often now.

I think the black on black classic look is perfect here. All the corrections you see yourself, so now you know what to fix if you can! I think her nose is ok, it is her eyes that are too low (too big a distance from eyelid to eyebrow.) Yes, the distance is wide between eyes, but I just see this as the way this model is, not off. She has wonderful full lips. Her left (our right) shoulder goes out too far, easy to fix with a dab of background black. Really lovely. I also like the light hints you made for her hair and how the rest softly disappears into the background.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #160   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 PM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Ok -- Sascha-- I completey understand all about trying to keep up with forums - others as well as yr own and still trying to produce art. So no worries.

And this is fabulous work -- man -- I -- mean- it just is. IMO.

But if you can get the time-- would you post a pic of this process you made for the model stand-- I want to learn from you.
i'm so curious about it as I am getting ready to get back to a period of time of getting models again.
  #161   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast
Italy

Hails from Italy

Sascha, wonderful work. Again
  #162   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Allison, thank you for the tips. I fixed the shoulder thanks to you - the rest must stay, I found out the hard way that there is no use to try fixing stuff like raising eyes - even if the model was here again (she will be later this week) - she will be in a different mood, I will be in a different mood - wont work - besides that the paint will be sticky then.
I have ruined paintings when trying to fix such things, so either I scrape off the painting completely and start over the ghost image that is left or even better start again on a blank canvas. Having the eyes too low is a common mistake in my paintings, I need to be careful next time.

Thank you very very much Carol. I'm glad you like it !

Thank you a lot Gianni !

Here is my current setup:

Sometimes I paint sight size, with the easel directly next to the model - but for this one not. Painting sight size is very limited in a small studio (or to be correct: a small single room flat - which is all I can afford - but it has become just a painting studio with a bed in the corner) like mine since I need to light the model and the easel at the same time, limiting greatly the choices how to light the model. So for this one the easel is about 2m away from the model. I light it with daylight flouorescent lights. The curtain is to block the painting light from the model light.

Here is my newly build soft-box thingy. It is just a 1.2m x 1.4m stretcher bars over which I put tracing paper and hang the whole thing on string on the ceiling (careful that these strings hold well and the thing doesn't come down). I only have a normal room height - if you have a higher room would be much better.

The light above the tracing-paper-frame is on tripods. They are heavy duty ones. I found the ones from the chinese company "Jinbei" very stable for the price:
http://www.seaben.com/jinbei-dbj1-st...et_p12883.html
Not sure if they are easy to get in the USA.

On of my most important recent discoveries is to put a mirror behind me. It doesn not really to be a large one if it is well positioned - like 40x50cm or larger. But better be a bit larger so you still see your painting when you move a bit. This will give you the double viewing distance than the room normally allows and also spares you a lot of walking back and forth. I look into it after almost every brushstroke and it helps extremely to see if the values are off. A hand-mirror is what often is suggested by other painters (Phillipe DeLaszo used one for example) - but I found it too annoying to fumble around with a hand mirror so I got a cheap one and just put it on the window shelf behind me.

Last edited by dustonpaper : 09-09-2013 at 03:26 PM.
  #163   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2013, 07:00 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Your progress is astounding- just had to say it again!
The fact you are noticing such small areas of improvement also shows how good your eye (and brush hand) have become.
Thanks for showing your latest.

#164   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2013, 12:20 PM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Thanks Sascha for taking yr time to post this info. It is very interesting. I take my hat off to you man !! You are sailing ahead dispite all yr obsticles.And yr work is exuisite.
  #165   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Immortalized
Ct. usa

Hails from United States

hello

good to see your recent work !
and thx for the info about the diffusion panel .

something else you might consider is cheesecloth - used mainly for cooking ,
or other open-weave materials ;
the light diffusion is slightly different .

if you do decide to make/use other panels ,
measure the strings-to-anchor and the length of frame
then use two strings in parallel to the anchors
and put open hooks in the corners of the frame -
you can easily change them .

your work continues to progress and impress .

Ed